Coping with Backlog wait

:) I understand...just presented my personal approach to this process...I also got some gray hair during initial phase of LC, but then I realized, one can't live life like this.

The question I asked myself was "What else?". The answer will vary dramatically based on individual circumstances, skills and risk profiles..but it is worth all the effort!

Keep in mind that though US has most of the Billionaires, there are abundant billionaires 'outside' of US as well (if Financials is your motivation for staying put in US).

I spent (and am still spending) significant time on thinking thro' this "else" and am coming up with alternative that suits my personality, circumstances and risk profile.

Needless to say, the process of finding that "else" is anything but easy, but once you find it, you'll be surprized and wonder why you ever were worried about GC?

IMHO, I love US for vacationing, but don't find any reason why I must reside here...there are many competing locales for residency and raising the family! ;)

As far as kids go, who knows by the time they enter their careers, people would be lining up for Green Card (or equivalent) to China!! Man, should've taken wife to China for that delivery... :D

Life is pretty much now and here...no point in spoiling it by issues that are completely out of your control..so, let's enjoy it and spread the joy!

so what can we do in the mean time?

Hi Guys
I am in the same boat as most of you and I share your sentiments and pains.

My question is *WHAT WE CAN DO WHILE WE WAIT*, so when we get our 'freedom', we can hop to a better opportunity.

For example, I have been a Java programmer for last 5 yrs or so. So when I get my GC, am I going to go to another company for 30K/yr more and continue to be a Java programmer? Even though this is a 'step up' I want more :)

What should we be doing to improve our markatablity? So far I have seen the following from my friends.

1) going back to college to get another degree (law or something) and switch career track

2) getting an MBA : this has become a 'well worn out path' now, as more and more software engineers get MBAs. I don't want to go from one stereotype of 'Indian Software Engineer' to another 'Indian Software Engineer with MBA' :)

3) founding startups : some of them burnt, most of them barely survive. few got bought for the vicinity around ~10 million.

Let your suggestions flow...

regards
HOLA

I think finding the "else" prety much summarizes this thread.
I am not sure if MBA is a good "else". Comments?

Needless to say, the process of finding that "else" is anything but easy, but once you find it, you'll be surprized and wonder why you ever were worried about GC?

lots of choices

Great Comments Amusedagain..

One can get bogged down by thinking that there is only one way to success.. The really successful people are the ones who are independent thinkers.. When the world is thinking that there is only one way, these people think about alternatives.. the pioneers..

Getting the GC was considered the only way out from indian license raj in 70's 80's 90s also? May be so for lots.. but this is also the time that a company called Infosys was started..

I followed the crowd here for a masters.. I am very happy i did that because it opened my mind up for a world outside india.. I have since realized after a lot of soul searching that the crowd / herd mentality will drive me towards the herd and I can see myself as a typical NRI (with a couple of luxury sedans / suvs, big house, good money and kids)... I was not impressed with myself in this image..

Options abound across the world.. there are lots of places to earn good money if that's what motivates.. Lots of great places to live, if that's the driving factor.. and lots of places with great similar thinking people..

I have come to realize that money does not motivate me as much (as I thought initially) as a good stimulating work and secondly a great place to live.. based upon on this, I have made my decision and am going to follow through diligently with persistance..

GC way is an option.. but now I have other options clearly defined.. and I have at least 2 other clearly defined options I am pursuing actively.. All based on the above drivers for me.. Hopefully not too influenced by crowd mentality..

I believe that the more I know myself better, the more stable and stronger my stance will be.. And I will not be thrown off course by other people's dreams..

Believe me folks, there are infosyses being started right now in India or other parts of the world..
There are great places to live / raise kids other than the US also..

Options abound.. The question I ask myself always is whether I can see them?

Tom Puvathoor..

Last edited by a moderator:
Your are right, Tom!

One thing that would help restore the peace of mind for most of the folks plagued by GC worries is to visualize yourself in Maslow's Pyramid of Human Needs and ask where are you as of now and where do you want to be in 5-10 years. When I first did my self assessment, I was at level 2/3, but it was a no-brainer that I wanted to be at 5 within 5-10 years!

I guess, the GC worries stem from lack of security, which in turn stems from weaknesses in social and ego needs. For me, the GC worries stemmed from plain and simple financials.

But, once I realized that if I live in US, there is no end to financial worry (even after I retire! Thanks to flawed US economic policies as of now), I asked myself, how am I securing my financial independence by staying here? By counting on a chance of winning a lotto? or on a chance of being one in million 'entrepreneurs' that sold their start-ups or went IPO route? Both for me are remote...yes, I'm brutally honest.

All I can achieve realistically here in US is a reasonable job and a mortgage that would last till I walk to my grave (and that always hanging democles's sword of medical expenses). Is that what I want for myself and my family? And, the answer was a simple no.

As soon as I had this answer, all my yearning for GC vanished in an instant..it became just another social process (like getting driving license, credit card etc)...freeing me of all worries...

Of course, I started to ask 'What else'? The choices were as follows:
1. Return to home country and start a job (Business is not my cup of tea)
2. Move to another country and start a job
3. Let spouse start working and I handle the home front
4. Start education
5. Develop alternate income source (investing)

I've taken 1 as granted (my fallback position that provides me sound sleep at night). I'm working on developing 2 (thro' my company and my network). My spouse is working on 3 (yes, with right qualification, your spouse can have a job as well, surprize, surprize!). I'm keeping my options open for 4 (still keep myself involved w my alma-mater, meet w profs/students, read/participate in conferences) and it is my second fallback option.

However, most of my non-job time is being spent on 5 as of now. That is something I can do and it is not limited by where I live (stock markets are everywhere!). Also, you earn while you learn (can't beat that!)..

One fact that I struggled with is the difficulty of letting go the security of bi-weekly paycheck for option 5! Yes, it is HUGE!!! I still can't picture myself taking care of cost of living thro' an irregular source of income..and, it is still giving me gray hair! :) But, I'm working on it..step by step, day by day...

In Maslow's pyramid, I've moved through level 4 and currently working on level 5...self realization! I wish everyone here the speedy journey to level 5 and freedom from GC worries...life is short, enjoy it!

gravitation said:
6. I contribute 20% of my gross to my 401k. I don't see what's the problem.
5. I have bought a house (not saying i'm rich or anything; afterall it's mortgaged).
4. You can open a business, but can't work for it.
3. that could be a prob with some. my son was born here though.
2. Let the educated spouse get his/her own H1B.
1. Yes it can be a problem.

The affect will obviously more pronounced for some than others. But it's a scarifice of a few years to enjoy rest of your life 50-60 years in US. Keep the big picture in mind friends.
Great post!

Seems you are in good luck...

Hi friend,

I filed EB2 on Nov 2002 but it still stuck in DBEC, and recently I am told I am going to be layoff...

Seems you are in good luck. What my company does is:
Sleep on my case as much as they can. Never did any query about my status regarding progress, status query, etc. And they do not allow others to query for me. I asked the senator to help checking my status but the comany does not allow.

I tried everything I can trying to save my case, e.g. ask the attorney if I can apply PERM in parallel, I was always talked to the "do nothing" spot by the attorney, but I couldn't figure out why. I saw it (the labor cert) falling apart (i will be layoff) in front of me but I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't figure out why all the things are dealt this way...

I know it makes no more sense to ask you guys how to check the status of my case? I believe I am not the enemy of the attorney/company, but they just do not want to do anything for my case...

Sam

Very_Hopeful said:
Hello guys,

Got the good news yesterday from my employer and the lawyer that my LC got certified. I cannot believe I waited close to five years for this to happen. Following is the strategy I used to get my labor approved.

Aug 8: I got my employer to write a letter asking for the status of my application. Letter also included a line that such a prolonged delay in review of my application not only adversely affects my career but also affects the institution.

Aug 12:I got the staff of the congressman to write a similar letter.

August 14: CHanged my username over here from gcby2020 to Very_Hopeful (With PBEC take no chance. Even becoming superstitious helps :))

August 16: Sent a email to PBEC to update my address.

On August 31 got the magic phone call (that I had been waiting for last five years) from my lawyer

Details of my LC:

ETA Case Number: P-05123-88***
Priority Date: 12/10/2001
Processing Type: EB2-RIR
State: New York
Date of reply to 45 day letter: 8/18/2005
Date Case assigned to analyst: January 2006
Approval Date: August 24, 2006

I don't know which of the above measures helped. But I urge all the 2001 cases to get help from their employers and congressman/senators. Thats the only way their cases will be certified.

I thank everyone for their constant support. I will keep visiting. Now onwards to filing for I-140. Unfortunately for me visa numbers are currently unavailable. But I will reserve that worry for a later date.

What the first letter of case number means?

My case number start with "T": T-05XXXX-XXXXX. I saw people always mention case number with "P" and "D", what "T" means? Could someone let me know?

Thanks so much.

meng6917 said:
My case number start with "T": T-05XXXX-XXXXX. I saw people always mention case number with "P" and "D", what "T" means? Could someone let me know?

Thanks so much.

"T" I believe is a temporary case number. "P" and "D" denote that the case is either w/ Philadelphia or Dallas Backlog Elimiation Centers and hopefully being processed by them. By now your case should have been assigned to one of the BEC's and been given a new case# that begins w/ either "P" or "D". Check w/ your attorney/employer.