• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Congress and White House- DV 2008 to be cancelled

mia22

Registered Users (C)
Congress and White House are meeting mid May to discuss comprehensive immigration reform. There is a momentum to pass a comprehensive immigration bill this year. Unfortunately, for all of us on this forum, both sides (Democrats and Republicans) want to cancel the DV lottery. The chances that DV 2008 will proceed are low.

Let us all hope and pray that this does not happen. However, all winners should be aware of the current situation. Just continue to follow the US immigration debate in the next few months. :(

This is a link to the Power Point presentation that leaked for the White House.

http://www.visalaw.com/White House proposal.pdf

the two major bills in the congress that has a chance are SR.2611 and STRIVE Act of 2007. i have looked into both of them (700 pages each). i didnt see a thing about cancelling the DV program. they talked about it a while back but it was rejected because it is a modern sample of US being a melting pot and all that.
if anyone has seen this proposal on an actual bill. please let us know. because DV program is not the main concern for Immigration reform. the main trouble is Illegal immigration, border security, backlog reduction. :confused:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01430:

Here is a bill in the house at this point.

You are correct, major issues now are backlogs and illegal immigrants. SR.2611 and STRIVE Act of 2007 do not include de DV cancellation. But, the White House plan does. For any major comprehensive reform to go through, both sides have to agree on these difficult issues. However, as provisions to these bills both sides are suggesting DV cancellation. This is a way to stop 50,000 new immigrants and use these visas toward employment or family categories. Both Republicans and Democrats agree. Last year this bill was passed by the House but was stopped in the Senate. This year we are less likely to see an opposition.

If we are lucky, the final decision will be after Oct 2008 when the interviews have been scheduled. At that point, they will not stop the DV 2008. However, if a decision is made before Oct 2007, the DV 2008 is cancelled.

the odds of cancelling DV is very low. if they ever did that, they would cancel the future DV programs and not the ones that have already been initiated (Probably 2009 DV). even though anti-immigration sentiments are at all time high, majority of US is proud of the fact that US is a melting pot and DV is the only tool they have to support this statement. i wouldnt worry about it too much. the only danger is that they would reduce the 50,000 DV visas to a lower number like what they did back in 1998. they are going to restructure the immigrant visas and that is the fact.
the bill you forwarded comes from the immigration reform opponents. see who cosponsored the bill. :rolleyes:

i might also add that when anti-immigrant advocates try to defend the current immigration policy, DV program and nonimmigrant visa are the only tool they have to show their support for legal immigration and their pro-immigrant faces. dont worry. you read too much into the news

You are an optimist. I appreciate that. I did need some reassurance from a member who also reads about immigration. I pray that you are right and I am wrong. :)

However, if a bill is passed, in takes effect on October 2008 and no DV visas will be available for that year. The law takes effect on October 2008. This is after all DV 2008. The fact that they sent out notifications in advance does not change the fact.:(

Good luck to everyone and let us hope this does not happen this year. :)

Immigration Countdown
By TAMAR JACOBY
April 20, 2007; Page A14

Will Congress actually pass immigration reform this year? The debate these days is not only about policy. While there are still critical issues to be decided, the surprising news is that key Democrats and Republicans increasingly agree on the outlines of what needs to be done. What could hold them, and the country, back, is the politics of the 2008 elections.

In contrast to last year, when there really were two starkly different visions of immigration reform on the table, members of both parties are coalescing. Senators who are otherwise polar opposites, especially Jon Kyl (R., Ariz.) and Ted Kennedy (D., Mass.), now agree on a fundamental tenet: Enforcement alone is not enough. Both men recognize immigration laws must be enforced on the border and in the workplace. But they agree that this must be accompanied by more worker visas, and a practical answer for the 12 million illegal immigrants already here.

This is what people mean by "comprehensive" reform: It is what President Bush has long argued for, and it is what, as poll after poll shows, most voters have come to see as the best option. Depending on the survey, between 60% and 85% of the public understands that we can't solve the problem of illegal immigration without dealing with the illegal immigrants already in the country, and that the best way to deal with them is to allow them to earn citizenship over time.

Sens. Kyl and Kennedy still disagree sharply about the terms of a comprehensive bill. What exactly should illegal immigrants have to do to earn citizenship? Should workers who come in the future be strictly temporary or would they be allowed under some conditions to assimilate and stay permanently? Perhaps most important, how many visas, short- and long-term, are needed to meet our economic needs through legal rather than illegal immigration.

The two men are working hard to arrive at a compromise. First on a partisan basis and now together, a small group of Republicans and Democrats have been meeting privately two or three times a week for several weeks. This is unusual for Washington; ordinarily senators let their staffs sweat the details, so these meetings are a measure of how badly these legislators want to reach a consensus. The White House shares their urgency and has been helping drive the talks forward.

But the bigger question is whether the political climate leaves room for an agreement as we head into what may be one of the most contested presidential elections of our lifetime.

Both parties are deeply divided on that question -- divided between members of Congress who want to get to a deal this year and those who would rather exploit the issue in 2008. Think of it as the battle between the dealmakers and the blame-gamers. Just as there are would-be dealmakers in both parties -- Sens. Kennedy and Kyl are merely the most prominent -- so there are a good number of equally powerful blame-gamers: Democrats relishing the prospect of GOP presidential candidates looking obstructionist as they scratch each other's eyes out over immigration, Republicans already writing the campaign spots that pillory Democrats as the "Amnesty Party." For every member eager to pass reform, there's another who would rather see it fail and then point fingers. And for every member struggling to find the sweet spot in the back room, there's another waiting outside the room to say the deal's not good enough -- to tell Sens. Kyl and Kennedy that they've compromised too far and that it makes more political sense to hold off for a couple of years to pass a bill.

Which camp is likely to prevail? In part, it depends on the back-room talks. If Democrats and Republicans can find their way to agree on an overhaul that genuinely solves the problem while taking account of both sides' fundamental principles, then it will be that much harder for the naysayers to shoot them down.

But there's also another factor -- another player -- that could be decisive. And that's the public, frustrated by the broken status quo and hungry to see Congress get something done. I know: I've heard them firsthand in recent months in focus groups and other forums around the country. Employers who can't find enough workers to grow their businesses. Latinos with friends or family living in the shadows. Ordinary voters increasingly angry that Washington can't solve the problem. These voters may just grow so impatient that even the most calculating members of Congress have no choice but to come through with results.

It may sound like a long shot; it's easy to be cynical about Washington. But sometimes even politics as usual has to give way to that other kind of politics -- the politics of what voters want.

Time is running out. Congress probably has until August at the latest before presidential politics utterly rule out any deal. But it's too soon to give up hope. There's still a chance that the dealmakers will outrun the blame-gamers -- that the two parties will come together around a workable bill that solves the problem rather than go on playing political football with one of the most important issues we face.

Ms. Jacoby is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

I hate to criticize people but the way the title of this post was written is misleading and not honest. So one cannot sit idle in front of this travesty.

The title was posted as a declaration, a statement and not as a question, which is what the crux of this whole thread is: an inquiry? Now I am saying this because the title got my attention and caused me some distress.

I hope that members in the future be more considerate to people's feelings and not post outrageous declarations like these UNLESS they are 100% sure the declarations are the absolute truth.

Is this too much to ask? :(

I do not think of postphoning of dv2008, because the result is already sent to winner and some winner has already sent to KCC till now. But possibley they can stop Dv process of 2009 and i do strongly believe it.

furthermore: they may be modify the DV process as skill immigrant according to education and ages,that what canada and australia focus on diversely.Dv 2008 process is slidely change as adding education level and current location of applicant initially. So in this case may be senet can agree to compansate DV more toughly as age( Young educated generation)
and experienced skills. and the total range of 50k will define according to the educated young and skills candidate although there is still running immigrant process for educated ppls with special immi visa.

You are an optimist. I appreciate that. I did need some reassurance from a member who also reads about immigration. I pray that you are right and I am wrong. :)

However, if a bill is passed, in takes effect on October 2008 and no DV visas will be available for that year. The law takes effect on October 2008. This is after all DV 2008. The fact that they sent out notifications in advance does not change the fact.:(

Good luck to everyone and let us hope this does not happen this year. :)

well, i have been working with immigration lawyers for a long time and i have been following Immigration reform on a day to day basis (they actually call me up to get info). the momentum for immigration reform has picked up after Congressional election not because Democrats took over (some democrats campained against immigration), but because the congressional representatives realized that their chance of survival in the office a lot greater if they stick with the open door policy and "welcoming nation". my money is on a solution that is actually deliverable to those people who live in the shadows of society.
either way, DV is just a simbol of keeping the door open to common wo/man. the odds to win a DV is as good as winning a lottery (i would prefer the later) the best way to get the greencard would be the traditional EB and family based. takes a while but you just follow the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with drogba11

I completely agree with drogba11. What is the point of this thread? If the DV program is cancelled tomorrow or in ten years is not in our hands so what is the point of being paranoid, spreading your paranoia, and more importantly clogging forums that actually offer big help in useful threads. So please stop worrying about things you cannot change and worry about doing your paper work. there is useful info in OTHER threads that can help you with that…..

I apologize if I caused distress to someone on this forum. I do all this research and post and this forum because I try to help other members. The purpose of this forum is to exchange information. My posts just reflect what is currently happening in the immigration debate in the USA.

The title of this thread is “DV to be cancelled” and not that is already cancelled. In that, from all the research I did, DV cancellation is a provision in the immigration comprehensive bill. If it is passed, it takes affect with the immigration new fiscal year, which start Oct 2008. All laws will be applicable for 2008. This is DV 2008, so no DV visas will be available in 2008. Sorry, but it will not take affect in DV 2009.

Let us see what happens during May and which comprehensive reform is introduced.

taken from numbersusa.

Stop Amnesty: Fax your GOP Senator who Voted Yes on S. 2611.

This new fax has been posted in your Action Buffet based on your answers to the Interest Survey.

You can find this fax by proceeding to
http://www.numbersusa.com/faxes?ID=7758

Six U.S. Senators have been involved in closed-door White House discussions on immigration reform. The White House has since released a PowerPoint presentation that outlines its principles of "comprehensive" reform. Although the presentation does include some very good measures (ending chain migration and the visa lottery, and stepped-up enforcement against future illegal immigration), it also includes an amnesty for nearly every illegal alien in the country and would increase legal immigration by more than 50 percent, thereby punishing American workers, our families, and communities. You can read more here. Your U.S. Senator has not been involved in the negotiations, but is one of the Republican Senators who, based on their past immigration voting record, may be willing to support the amnesty. (Your U.S. Senator voted in favor of the S. 2611 amnesty last year). Fax your Senator and encourage him/her to change their tune and to oppose any kind of rewards for illegal immigration.

THE SITUATION IN THE HOUSE:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif) has provided us with a tremendous opportunity to stop amnesty and immigration increases this year. The Washington Post reported that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has told the White House that she won't bring an amnesty bill to a floor vote unless Pres. Bush guarantees at least 70 Republican YES votes:

"In contrast to her approach to other controversial issues, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has told the White House that she cannot pass a bill with Democratic votes alone, nor will she seek to enforce party discipline on the issue. Bush will have to produce at least 70 Republican votes before she considers a vote on comprehensive immigration legislation, a task that may be very difficult for a president saddled with low approval ratings."

If we can get 65 percent of House Republicans to stand with the majority of the American people, then we can stop amnesty this year - regardless of what insane actions the Senate may take.

President Bush working to meet Speaker Pelosi's demands in Arizona:

News reports said this:

Speaking to the Border Patrol in Yuma, Ariz., Bush said it would be impossible to find and deport the estimated 12 million undocumented workers in the United States.

"It may sound good. It may make nice sound-bite news. It won't happen."

Instead, Bush said, those workers who want to stay should be made to pay a "meaningful penalty" and "meet a reasonable number of conditions" before being allowed to apply for citizenship.

"Approval would not be automatic," he said.

If there were any who still doubted Bush's desire to grant amnesty, there should be none now.

After years of saying that his guestworker plans didn't mean that illegal aliens would get citizenship, the president has now clarified that citizenship for illegal aliens is a necessity.

Of course, his comments were outrageous. There are no politicians or major advocacy groups that advocate deporting all 12 million or more illegal aliens. He always sets up that false dichotomy as if American voters are idiots. It is so insulting.

Notice that he said citizenship should not be "automatic." That is an important code word that open borders Republicans and Democrats use to justify their support of the new White House amnesty. They claim that they oppose amnesty but what they really oppose is "blanket amnesties" and "automatic citizenship" for illegal aliens, not all forms of amnesty ("guestworker" schemes, for example). Any time you hear a politician making those promises, you can almost be guaranteed that that politician is supporting an amnesty for illegal aliens.

Your calls and faxes can stop Pelosi and Bush's hopes for amnesty in their tracks!

Do you want more or less information?
As a NumbersUSA subscriber, you will receive occasional emails about immigration-related opportunities. If you want to increase or reduce the frequency of these emails, click here and choose from Total Activism, Moderate Activism, or Limited Activism at the bottom of your registration form: http://www.numbersusa.com/user

NumbersUSA - relies upon individuals like you to reach its goal of an environmentally sustainable and economically just America.

I completely agree with drogba11. What is the point of this thread? If the DV program is cancelled tomorrow or in ten years is not in our hands so what is the point of being paranoid, spreading your paranoia, and more importantly clogging forums that actually offer big help in useful threads. So please stop worrying about things you cannot change and worry about doing your paper work. there is useful info in OTHER threads that can help you with that…..

nacho2008,

The point of this thread is to share news about the DV lottery. If am not mistaken, this forum is to discuss DV lottery. I would like to have as much as information as possible. So, I thought that other individuals who are working on the DV 2008 would like to be aware of the fact that there are some forces that are trying to stop it.

I am not paranoid and surly not spreading paranoia. I am also posting articles written about this subject. If you take time to read them, you will note that I did not made this up. I did not call for any action so you comment that we should talk about things that are out of our heads is uncalled for. If you do not value the information people post, you can chose to ignore it.

I think the initial criticism of this thread was due to the subject line. Nothing wrong with the topic but personally I think a quesiton mark at the end of the subject would have been more appropriate, rather than making it sound like an announcement.

nacho2008,

The point of this thread is to share news about the DV lottery. If am not mistaken, this forum is to discuss DV lottery. I would like to have as much as information as possible. So, I thought that other individuals who are working on the DV 2008 would like to be aware of the fact that there are some forces that are trying to stop it.

I am not paranoid and surly not spreading paranoia. I am also posting articles written about this subject. If you take time to read them, you will note that I did not made this up. I did not call for any action so you comment that we should talk about things that are out of our heads is uncalled for. If you do not value the information people post, you can chose to ignore it.