Confusion over naturalization date of minor

Citizen_2009

Registered Users (C)
I need your advice on OCI. Here is the situation.
I became citizen in Oct 2009 (before June 2010). My daughter because citizen with me as dependent and I applied for her US passport and got it issued in July 2010 (so after June 2010). Never applied for her Naturalization certificate.

Now, when I applied for OCI for my daughter, BLS international asked me to send the renunciation fee of $175 because they consider that date of naturalization for my daughter is after June 2010. Is this right. I thought her date of naturalization would be same as mine, Oct 2009 ?

Yes your minor daughter derived US citizenship through your own naturalization. However the timing of when she got her US passport (post-June 2010) is what is throwing these BLS folk off. This info below was from the good old Travisa people (we all miss them) and you should try sending them this info:

Copy of Naturalization Certificate:
If you are a former Indian national or Non-US born, a copy of your Naturalization Certificate is required. If a minor gained naturalization through his/her parents and possesses no separate naturalization certificate, then copies of the parents' naturalization certificates and a notarized written statement signed by both parents is required stating the circumstances that their child received his/her naturalization status and why the child does not possess his/her own certificate.

Also while a lot more expensive ($600), it is always a good idea to get your derived citizen daughter a Certificate of Citizenship so that she has permanent proof of when she became a USC. Details here.

Hi JP,

Thanks for your advise. Actually I already applied for her N-600, but it taking around 8-9 months to get it so I am still waiting for it. Might take another month or so for the oath but I am travelling next months so can't wait. I did provide them an affidavit as your quote above but still no use. I just wanted to check with anyone in similar situation on how the naturalization date is calculated for a minor.

I did provide them an affidavit as your quote above but still no use. I just wanted to check with anyone in similar situation on how the naturalization date is calculated for a minor.

This is really quite sad that these clueless idiots at BLS do not understand the US naturalization process but yet are in a business where this is crucial information. My suggestion is to try to contact your local consulate by email and explain that BLS are denying your daughter's actual date of naturalization. If you can get a response from the consulate agreeing with your position then you have written proof that you can forward to BLS. You should tell the consulate that Travisa clearly understood and stated on their website that minor children could derive citizenship on the same day their parent(s) became naturalized citizens.