Confused about priority dates

shiningstars

Registered Users (C)
I just looked at my I130 receipt from 2004 and noticed that the all important priority date box is empty! There are however dates in both the received and notice dates. Is this a mistake? Should I be worried?

On the other hand, the USCIS website says that the date that the petition is filed is considered the priority date. I am confused and hope someone here can help me figure all this out!

if you are married to a USC - you don't have a priority date, because an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you. It just takes time to process the application.

well, in that case, the date the petition was received by USCIS is your priority date. Sorry you'll have to wait for so long - 12-14 years for it to be of use to you.

LucyMo,

Thank you so much for your response. I wish I could clarify with USCIS customer service myself, but the phone number is not accessible from outside the US.

I read somewhere else that they are no longer processing applications in advance until a visa actually becomes available. Could this be the reason that the priority date is now left empty?

Yes, the 12-14 yr wait will indeed be a long one. :(

You will get PD date on I-130 approval notice.

Also, your PD will be set to the day you (or on your behalf, someone) submitted I-130.

As someone already pointed out earliar, min. wait in that category is 12 years (and for Mexico it is 18 years and for Philip-pines it is 22 year).

shiningstars said:
I just looked at my I130 receipt from 2004 and noticed that the all important priority date box is empty! There are however dates in both the received and notice dates. Is this a mistake? Should I be worried?

On the other hand, the USCIS website says that the date that the petition is filed is considered the priority date. I am confused and hope someone here can help me figure all this out!

Shiningstars,

I would contact USCIS and ask about the Priority date - is that something to do with the category as Lucy suggested?

dulcinea said:
Hi! Why don´t you ask the immigration professionals at Foreign Immigration www.foreignimmigration.com ? I`m sure they`ll be able to help you.
Dulcinea, do you have any association with the website you've tried to push on every post of yours? Regardsless, it's seems a little odd to try and push a possibly pay-to-get-help site from a peer/community forum, that too a great one run as a service by an immigration attorney.

In any case, it does seem that you're trying to get traffic there, and if that is your intention, maybe you should let the mods know whether it is appropriate / allowed.

usnycus - Thank you. That was really helpful!

While the wait for a visa will be substantially longer, the processing receipt date is less than 3-4 years away. Should I expect them to start working on the application after the receipt date passes and how long does the standard approval process usually take?

I am also confused about the applicability of priority dates. I am expecting to be a citizen in a few months and want to be sponsoring my son (unmarried, over 21yrs). This page seems to be indicating that if there is no priority for Immediate Relatives - I am confused as to whether a priority date will apply to him (my son).

Will appreciate any pointers... Thanks!

Vijaysinha said:
I am also confused about the applicability of priority dates. I am expecting to be a citizen in a few months and want to be sponsoring my son (unmarried, over 21yrs). This page seems to be indicating that if there is no priority for Immediate Relatives - I am confused as to whether a priority date will apply to him (my son).

Will appreciate any pointers... Thanks!

Look here...
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm#anchor156900

unmarried children of USC over 21 years of age fall under the First Preference category (not immediate relatives) and have to wait for an immigrant visa number to be available.
In your case, the PD cannot be current and would apply to your son.