Confirmed Chennai March 2004 Interview.

My interview is on the 16th of March at 8:00AM.

This is my schedule...

3/10 6:00AM - Arrive in Chennai
3/10 8:00AM - Appear for lab tests at Lister
3/10 5:00PM - Collect lab reports
3/10 5:30PM - Show up at Dr.Vijayalakshmi's for medical exam
3/10 8:00PM - Leave Chennai

-- Break--

3/14 - Arrive in Chennai
3/16 7:45AM - Show up at US Consulate for interview
3/16 PM - Leave Chennai (flexible)

Please comment on any inconsistencies you notice above.

A few questions (similar to Bhaskagara's prev. posting) -

1) Planning to put up at Hotel Ganpat (apparently around the corner from Lister) for Medicals. Has anyone been to this one? Hope this isnt too far from Consulate, coz I plan to stay here for interview too? Address says - 103 Nungambakkam High Road.

2) Havent received appointment letter as yet. Leaving for India on Mar. 6th. May call consulate two days before I leave and ask for a copy mailed to my India address. Worst case, am in Chennai for medicals a week before interview, so will pickup appt. letter from consulate personally. Can I get into the consulate? Will I be allowed in? What do I need to get in?

Thanks,

Received appointment letter!

Never mind question (2) in my last post ... my lawyer just sent me an email that he's received my appointment letter from the consulate. Going now to collect it.

Just got one yellow sheet i.e.the appointment letter.

Nothing else! Whereas the appointment letter states "Please see the enclosed information for further instructions...".

Am I missing stuff? Does anyone know what else should be part of a standard Pkt 4 ??

BASI,
My interview is on March18th
OK
I am reaching Madras on 15th early mornign 6AM and after that i am planing to go directly crystal Residency hotel.
OK. I THINK YOU ARE REACHING CHENNAI BY CHENNAI EXPRESS. BEWARE OF AUTO DRIVERS. DON'T PAY MORE THAN 40/50 RS FROM STATION TO CRYSTAL RESIDENCY.
i am new to madras. Can some body suggest any precaution regarding Taxi etc., to reach crystal residency
DEFINITELY YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT THIS. (BUT NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT OR NEED NOT BE VERY SCTRICT). BUT SOME AUTO/TAXI DRIVERS TRY TO SCREW VISITORS WHO DON'T KNOW CHENNAI. IF SOME ONE IS STARTING HIS AUTO WITHOUT FINALISING RATE, DON'T SIT IN IT. FIRST FINALIZE THEN GO.
FROM STATION TO CRYSTAL/CONSULATE (OPPOSITE), IT SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN RS 50.
FROM CRYSTAL TO LABS, RS 20.
FROM LABS TO DR. V, RS.30 OR MAXIMUM 40. FROM CRYSTAL TO DR. V, RS 50 MAX.

After that i am planning to go lister lab. How far it is from crystal residency and how much the auto/taxi charges
ITS NEAR. MAXIMUM RS 20 BY AUTO.

(or) you suggest me to go directly to lister lab and after that go to crystal residency hotel ?
YOU CAN DO THIS. BUT THERE WILL BE LOT OF TIME FOR YOU AFTER YOU GET DOWN FROM TRAIN. GOTO HOTEL FIRST, FRESH UP, THEN GOTO LISTER BY 8/8:30. FROM STATION TO CRYSTAL, IT IS 20 MIN BY AUTO. FROM CRYSTAL TO LABS, IT IS 10 MIN. SO PLAN ACCORDINGLY. I DON'T THINK IT IS GOOD TO GOTO LISTER FROM STATION.

Do i need to book reserve in Crystal Residency in advance ?

GOTO http://www.crystalresidency.com FOR BOOKING DETAILS. YOU CAN ALSO DIRECTLY GO. BUT IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BOOK FIRST. ASK FOR DISCOUNT, THEY MAY GIVE 10% OR EXEMPT TAX.
THERE ARE OTHER HOTELS NEARBY INCASE YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GET IT. (ORCHID INN, ETC)

I already notarized the I-134 when i send the packet 3 ? do i need to do that again ?
DO YOU HAVE COPY OF IT? CARRY IT. ALSO FOR SAFESIDE, TAKE ONE I-134 WITH YOU (ONE PER DEPENDENT). BUT I THINK THEY ARE NOT PARTICULAR ABOUT IT.

My employee send that employment letter on offical company paper last week only ? is it ok (regarding timeframe)or i need to do any thing ? I have an option where i can order the employment letter online. but it will not be on offical paper ?
CARRY EMP LETTER ON OFFICIAL LETTER HEAD. AND ITS NOT A PROBLEM REGARDING TIMEFRAME. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO OLD BUT ONE MONTH IS OK. WHAT YOU DO IS, ALSO CARRY THE PRINTOUT IN JUST INCASE FOLDER.

still now i did't receive the appointment letter ? can i wait from few more days ?
YES. WAIT FOR IT. STILL YOU HAVE TIME. (REMEBER, YOU NEED IT FOR LISTER AND DR. SO IF YOU DON'T GET IT TILL 15TH ALSO, GOTO CONSULATE AND TAKE IT). BUT YOU WILL GET. MOST PROBABLY BY 10TH OF MARCH)

Interview confirmed for March 16 in Chennai

I checked online and confirmed my interview is on March 16. I have not yet received my Packet 4 however. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can pick up my Packet 4 directly at the consulate.

What do I have to take with me and what do I say to the guard up front?

-schwark

schwark:

You should receive your p4 in usa address this week beginning 3/1. If you dont receive then you / someone you know will need to pick it up prior to your medicals since you will need it for the medicals and then for your interview. Also you can call chennai and have them mail your p4 to your indian address!

The only thing needed for yoru p4 if your mdr number and a photo id of the person who picks it up!

Hey guys,

just wondering...our application was sent to Chennai consulate on Jan 30th... we fall in the EB2 category. I noticed that only about 10 EB2s are interviewed every month... so any idea when we would get an interview date?

thanks

Help needed

Hi All,

Can some one let me know how long it takes (average) from 140 approval to the date for the interview at Chennai consulate?.

My I 140 is due for approval anytime.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Sriram.

Re: Help needed

Originally posted by spalghat
Hi All,

Can some one let me know how long it takes (average) from 140 approval to the date for the interview at Chennai consulate?.

My I 140 is due for approval anytime.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Sriram.

Assuming that you had opted for 'cp' in your I-140 then the
ball park figure is 6 to 8 months.

Raju

Originally posted by arbhai
Hey guys,

just wondering...our application was sent to Chennai consulate on Jan 30th... we fall in the EB2 category. I noticed that only about 10 EB2s are interviewed every month... so any idea when we would get an interview date?

thanks

Your interview would most likely be in the month of April.
Probably between 12th and 23rd.

Raju

1) I am planning to carry my documents into the consulate in a regular Jansport-type back-pack. Wondering if that would be a problem? Are there any regulations around this?

2) For tax documents, I have:
(A) Tax transcripts for the last 3 years (2000, 2001 & 2002). Wont be filing 2003 till first week of April or later (with extension).
(B) W-2 forms for 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003
(C) Copies of 1040s filed for each of the above mentioned 3 years.
Which of these do I need to submit (ie. in duplicate, ofcourse)? I was planning on submitting (A) & (B) and keeping (C) in JIC? Also, do I need to submit the W-2 for 2003?

(3) My wife currently has no SSN or ITIN (this being our first year of filing jointly). If applying with my current H-1 status (she being on an H-4), I would file her W-7 (application for ITIN) along with my returns, as required by IRS starting this year. However, I have postponed filing to the first week of April, i.e. after I return from India (post IV interview). BUT, at that point of time she will no longer be eligible for an ITIN (as she will then be eligible for an SSN). I am planning to apply for a filing extension (Form 4868) with IRS, before leaving for India. Does this plan sound OK? Or is there a better way to handle this?

(4) My wife and myself have no idea of any vaccinations we have ever received? We could take an educated guess and come up with a few names? Will this be an issue? Will it help if we can get medical certificates from our personal physician ;) saying that we've been administered such and such vaccinations?

(5) How far does the answer to question 33a. (Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN etc.) on the DS230 Part II matter. I have marked it as "No". However,my current SSN card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION", which will change post IV interview. Will this prevent me from getting a new card which does not have the above wording?

(6) Not having recieved anything but the appointment letter (single piece of yellow paper) from the US consulate as part of Packet 4, I have printed out the medical cover letter from the internet.....

Page 1 has -
Consulate General of the
United States of America
220 Mount Road
Chennai - 600 006
printed in bold at the top with the US emblem on the left top corner, information on Lister labs, the doctors and the fees etc.

Page 2 has the same thing printed on top with emblem, has dates of lab exam, physical exam, follow-up lab tests fields; space for attaching photo on the right; fields for Name, Address, Place and date of birth, Passport Number; and space for your, lab physician's and examining physician's signatures.

Could someone please confirm that this is "the" medical cover letter. Also, is there any other documents that I need (and did not receive as part of Packet 4) ? What is the "ds2001fill.pdf" form? Is that part of P4? I have never encountered that document in the entire process? It says therein that "YOU WILL NOT BE SCHEDULED FOR AN APPOINTMENT UNTIL YOU RETURN THIS FORM". Appears to be something that should've been part of Packet 3?

Please help!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I am planning to carry my documents into the consulate in a regular Jansport-type back-pack. Wondering if that would be a problem? Are there any regulations around this?

PLASTIC FOLDERS/BAGS (PREFERABLY TRANSPARENT) ARE RECOMMENDED TO CARRY DOCUMENTS. THEY DON'T ACCEPT BRIEFCASES, BAGS, ELECTRONIC ITEMS, THINGS LIKE POWDER ETC. IF YOU CARRY THEM WITH YOU, YOU WILL HAVE TO THROW THEM.

2) For tax documents, I have:
(A) Tax transcripts for the last 3 years (2000, 2001 & 2002). Wont be filing 2003 till first week of April or later (with extension).
CARRY 2002, 2001 AND 2000.
(B) W-2 forms for 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003
CARRY ALL OF THEM.
(C) Copies of 1040s filed for each of the above mentioned 3 years.
Which of these do I need to submit (ie. in duplicate, ofcourse)? I was planning on submitting (A) & (B) and keeping (C) in JIC? Also, do I need to submit the W-2 for 2003?
CARRY THESE ALSO. KEEP THEM IN THE MAIN FOLDER ONLY. WHEN THEY ASK FOR TAX PAPERS, SUBMIT (A), (B), AND (C).

(3) My wife currently has no SSN or ITIN (this being our first year of filing jointly). If applying with my current H-1 status (she being on an H-4), I would file her W-7 (application for ITIN) along with my returns, as required by IRS starting this year. However, I have postponed filing to the first week of April, i.e. after I return from India (post IV interview). BUT, at that point of time she will no longer be eligible for an ITIN (as she will then be eligible for an SSN). I am planning to apply for a filing extension (Form 4868) with IRS, before leaving for India. Does this plan sound OK? Or is there a better way to handle this?

IT SHOULD BE OK. EXPERTS MAY COMMENT ON THIS.

(4) My wife and myself have no idea of any vaccinations we have ever received? We could take an educated guess and come up with a few names? Will this be an issue? Will it help if we can get medical certificates from our personal physician saying that we've been administered such and such vaccinations?

YOU CAN TAKE THE CERTIFICATE FROM PERSONAL PHYSICIAN. PANEL DOCTORS WILL BE CONVINCED WITH THEM. THEY ARE COOL AND PROFESSIONAL.

(5) How far does the answer to question 33a. (Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN etc.) on the DS230 Part II matter. I have marked it as "No". However,my current SSN card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION", which will change post IV interview. Will this prevent me from getting a new card which does not have the above wording?

MARK IT AS YES. ANYHOW, YOU WILL BE GIVEN ANOTHER FORM FOR THIS OPTION AT CONSULATE. BETTER SAY YES FOR ALL APPLICANTS.

(6) Not having recieved anything but the appointment letter (single piece of yellow paper) from the US consulate as part of Packet 4, I have printed out the medical cover letter from the internet.....
YES. FOR CONFIRMATION, I AM ATTACHING THE ONE I USED.

ds2001fill.pdf IS NOT NEEDED FOR INTERVIEW.

Thanks Raju...

we got our Police certification done on Nov 3 2003...May 3rd would be six months...should we reapply for a PCC or wait until April's interviews are announced.

Also I came across the acronym RCMP in a previous message... just wondering what is RCMP?

can anyone in a EB3 category granted an interview in March let me know when their file got sent to chennai consulate?

thanks
Meera

can anyone in a EB3 category granted an interview in March let me know when their file got sent to chennai consulate?

{My file sent to Chennai on Jan'15h and interview is on March'18th - Bhaskar }

thanks
Meera

meera:

More than likely you should be in the april interview schedule and you should not need to apply for the pcc.

But again to be safe you may want to apply anyways since it is only $20 per head!

Thanks Raju...

we got our Police certification done on Nov 3 2003...May 3rd would be six months...should we reapply for a PCC or wait until April's interviews are announced.

{As I said earlier if your interview happens in April your PCC is
good. On the other hand if for some unforseen reason it
does not happen in April (You would know this by 15th-17th
March), then you need to apply immediately to prepare
yourself for a possible May interview}

Also I came across the acronym RCMP in a previous message... just wondering what is RCMP?

(Royal Candaian Mounted Police. The police force of
Canada is called with that name}

thanks
Meera

Update Info

:) :D :) :) :) :)

I got my Interview Letter(yellow color) yesterday.....but it mentioned Packet4 enclosed. i didn't find packet 4 with that letter is it ok...

-Bhaskar