Concurrent Filing I140 & I485 Nebraska Service Center

180 days rules does not apply when you file concurrent

Hello People,
My lawer says the 180 days rule does not apply anymore for who apply concurrently. I mean somebody can not change the company under EAD after 180 days since he filled concurrently. But those who applied separately will get that advantage. Does anyone of you know whether this is true or not?? Post your thoughts please. This is scary isn't it:)

Concurrent filing EAD and AP from Local INS

Hello,
Why you guys are struggling about EAD and AP applying at service center (NSC etc). As soon as you receive the receive notice from INS for I-485, go to local INS and apply for EAD and AP. You will get EAD on same day and AP will take two weeks. It is better idea not to apply to service center for AP and EAD. Just apply I-140 or/and I-485, have the receive notice and walk in to local INS with the filled application for EAD/AP with appropriate fee. Please have the copy of I-485 application if possible. Just to let u know that you have to go early in the morning and might have to wait for a long. So, plan accordingly.

Keep everyone posted.

Incomplete FAQ on Concurrent for I-140

Incomplete FAQ again
Incomplete FAQ regarding Concurrent Filing
I am doing Incomplete FAQ for I-140 now, FAQ for I485, EAD
and AP will be added later

Updated On August 28, 2002
New item are marked with Bold

Documents needed to file for I-140

1. Letters of past experience, that satisfy the minimum years of experience, as indicated on the 750A Form.
2. Transcripts and Diplomas, including education evaluation, if available.
3. Social Security number, if not included in initial questionnaire.
4. Latest I-94 number.
5. Last date of arrival in the United States.
6. Expiration of H-1B.
7. Family information: full name of each family member, relation, date of birth, country of birth, and present address.
8. Financial information from employer, establishing the financial ability to pay the required wage.

9. Employer's telephone and fax Number;
10.Employer's Federal Identification Number;
11.Year company established;
12. Number of employees;
13. Gross annual income for latest fiscal year;
14. Provide 20 blank pieces of your of employer's letter head;
15. Provide original brochures, pamphlets, or any relevant documents regarding the employer;
16. Describe in detail the employer's nature of business (what does company do?);
17. Provide copy of the company's City Business License, plus whichever is applicable: Seller’s Permit / Contractor's License / License to Operate Health Care Facility / and other licenses/permits;
18. Provide audited financial statements and/or corporate/individual income tax return from the time the Labor Certification was filed to present; and,
19, Provide DE-6 Quarterly Wage Reports for quarters ending 6/30/02, 3/31/02,12/31/01 and 9/30/01

20. Original Passport
21. Current Resume including your employment history for the past six years
(names, addresses , and exact dates of employment)
22. Foreign Address
23. Current Address
24. Most recent pay stub
25. Most recent W2

Some brief explanation regarding I140
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/employment/i140.html

Currently the cost for I140 is $135

You should get your Receipt Date within two weeks after
you file your I140 petition in Nebraska Service Center

Nebraska Service Center usually cash I140 petition within
two weeks after you file your I140 petition

Nebraska Service Center (NSC) AVM 1-402-323-7830

According to AVM, it takes about 130-160 days right now to
process AVM

Processing Times in NSC Biweekly status (8/16/2002)
I-140 A (EB-11) 02/27/2002 About 170 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 B (EB-12) 02/25/2002 About 172 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 C (EB-13) 05/11/2002 About 97 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 D (EB2 except NIW) 3/14/2002 About 155 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 E (EB-31) 6/18/2002 About 59 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 I (EB-2 NIW) 3/6/2002 About 163 days to 8/16/2002
I-140 G (EB-3W Unskilled) 07/01/2002 About 46 days to 8/16/2002
Explanation : If your Notice Date is 5/1/2002 and you are EB3-1 (Skilled worker with experience), so you can approximately guess that your case will be process around 5/1/2002 + 59 days , Around week of June 29, 2002

According to www.immigration-law.com for processing I-140
as follows

Updated 08/25/2002: INS HQ Prioritization Policy of I-140: New Wonderland
• The INS sources indicate that as the INS launched the I-140/I-485 concurrent filing, the Service Centers had been given a guidance by the INS HQ to complete processing of I-140 petitions within 60-day mark. Readers, don't be surprised if you get the news that your I-140 petitions have been approved. There are indications and signs that the Service Centers indeed have started implementing this prioritization policy. This opens a question as to its impact on the concurrently filed I-485 applications with the I-140 Receipt Notice only and without the knowledge of approval of the I-140 petitions. We hope that the Service Centers continue to adjudicate the I-485 applications without rejecting such applications or issuing RFEs. Well, we'll have to wait and see. Please stay tuned to this web site.
• The sign is clear with the I-140 petitions which was filed independently and pending before the concurrent filing regulation came into effect. It is, however, unclear at this point whether the Service Centers are also adopting the same policy with the concurrently filed I-140 petitions. Please stay tuned to this web site for the development of this news.

Some FAQ regarding concurrent filing for I140 and I485
http://www.hooyou.com/i140&i485/faq.htm
http://www.hooyou.com/news/news0801...85_comments.htm

I140 processing times for each EB is different.
Usually EB3 is processed much faster than EB2 and
EB2 is processed faster than EB1. Here some note regarding
this issue

This is posted in mid of August, 2002
Right now NSC is processing Mar 14th 2002 apps for catg D (alien with exceptional ability / advanced degree) so my case which is under catg D can take another 3 months.

On the E catg (skilled worker) they are processing apps received on Jun 18 2002 (some of my colleauges have received approvals their catg was E).

Some common RFE that people receive for their I140
Most RFEs are on

1. Company financials
This is of course the biggest cause.

I know for a fact that my company lawyer spend a lot of time collecting financial info from my HR. I am not sure if he forwarded the info to INS ... I can say they at least seemed to prepare for it.

2. Signed copy of the Form ETA 750, Part B.
Some RFEs are on this, and I believe this is required for an LC substitution to prove that the substituted candidate had the same or more qualification as the original applicant on the date of filing the original LC

3. Experience certificates
I believe that this is needed for the same reason as no 2.

So guys who are doing their LC substitutions now, make sure your lawyer is doing all this legwork. If he simply goes ahead and files the 140 without any involvement from you, alarm bells should ring

Some issue regarding Concurrent Filing (from murthy.com)

Murthy.com with info from NSC. Hope it answers some questions (or does it raise new ones)
-----------------------------------------

NSC : July 2002 Update

The information in this update from the INS Nebraska Service Center (NSC) was obtained during a liaison meeting with representatives of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and senior NSC officials on July 10, 2002.

IBIS Delays

NSC reports that IBIS checks take approximately 4.5 minutes per case to complete. This additional step is taking about 1/3 of the time available for case adjudication, causing a substantial reduction in the number of cases completed per month.

NSC is attempting to address these delays by shifting personnel from I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) adjudications, for cases with priority dates that are not current, to other types of filings. The Service Center is also implementing some technological improvements that will reduce processing time for IBIS checks. NSC has hired 150 more adjudications officers in order to speed case processing. Of course, those new staff members will need training before they can be assigned cases, so it may be awhile before we witness any significant reductions in case backlogs.

I-485s

NSC advised that the processing dates of I-485s (Application to Register Permanent Resident Status or to Adjust Status) range approximately 120 days from the published processing dates, meaning that NSC is working on cases that were filed as much as 120 days before the listed processing dates. (Nebraska dates are available on MurthyDotCom.) These dates are not exact. It often appears as though one's particular case is processed after all the others!

I-140s

The NSC estimates that I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) processing times will be approximately 80 days, now that concurrent filing of I-140/I-485s is allowed. (It is unclear what the connection would be between concurrent filing and the I-140 processing time, but NSC implied that the concurrent filing procedure would lead to quicker processing of I-140s.)

Change of Address

A person with a case pending at NSC is required to notify NSC of an address change AND file a separate Form AR-11 (Change of Address Form) with INS Headquarters. As we have reported previously, the AR-11 must be filed to meet INS notification requirements. Since 9/11, INS has begun strict enforcement of this long-standing rule. As a practical matter however, the AR-11 is likely to take awhile to be processed. Therefore, address changes must also be provided to the NSC in compliance with their particular procedures.

Please give me suggestion so this FAQ can be useful to
anybody

Thanks

Incomplete FAQ for Concurrent (I485)

Incomplete FAQ Again
Incomplete FAQ again
Incomplete FAQ regarding Concurrent Filing
I am doing Incomplete FAQ for I-140 and I-485 now, FAQ EAD
and AP will be added later

Updated On Sept 3, 2002

I-485 Incomplete FAQ

- Documents needed to apply for Adjustment Of Status (AOS)

Documents for Adjustment of Status
When the priority date is current and you have always maintained a lawful status in the U.S. and are not otherwise ineligible to be a permanent resident, adjustment of status can be applied with the following documents: (All of the forms are in Acrobat PDF format and can be filled on the computer. There is no need to download the form, print and write by hand. After entering the value in the field, put one blank space otherwise the value in the field will not be visible.)

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status.
Filing fee $255 payable by check/money order to regional service center(e.g., INS-VSC).

I-765 Employment Authorization Document. (If seeking employment while case is processed).
Filing fee $120 payable by check/money order to regional service center(e.g., INS-VSC).

I-131 Advance Parole(Travel Document)
Filing fee $110 payable by check/money order to regional service center (e.g., INS-VSC).

I-693 Medical Examination Sheet. This needs to be done at INS approved doctor in your area.

List of INS certified doctors in your area. Doctor also fills the supplement form to record vaccinations taken now/earlier.

G-325A Biographic Information Sheet(Between the ages of 14 and 79)

G28 Notice of Appearance. This allows your attorney to represent you.

Supporting documents needed for primary applicant:
Copy of passport with copy of I-94 (both sides).

Copy of I-797 Notice of Action. It is an H1B/L1 visa status document.

Copy of birth certificate.

If no birth certificate or problem with it, see Affidavit of Birth
Copy of degree certificate.

Copies of recent pay stubs.

Six Immigration Photographs (2 each for I-485, I-131 and I-765).
Note: These are immigration photographs and not passport photographs. They are also called ADIT style photographs. These photographs should be taken within 30 days of filing the application to INS.

Copy of approved Labor Certificate

Original Employment letter from the employer saying that the job is still available. It should be on the company stationary.

If applicable, the applicant must also submit copies of all marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates (of former spouses), birth certificates of all children, and certified copies of any and all arrests and criminal court records.

Finger printing fee $25 payable by check/money order to regional service center (e.g., INS-VSC).
Any document not in English must be translated into English.

It is also recommended to submit Driver License Information
because from all I know, all application is checked against IBIS

Around apr/may'02 they introduced a new security check against IBIS (Its a combined database with data from FBI INS POE etc etc). When my case was pending and when I called the IIO, she told me the same thing and If I can remember correctly she said it takes about 3 weeks to a month to get the security check cleared.

What is IBIS (copied from www.immigration-law.com) ?

What is IBIS Check and How to Alleviate Processing Delays Resulting from the Hit?

People know that all the applications and petitions are currently mandatorily going through the IBIS check, causing delays in processing of cases, particularly when there is a IBIS hit in the checking process. IBIS is the abbreviation of Interagency Border Inspection System and a national security check system which utilizes data from various law enforcement sources such as NCIC, FBI, CIA, INS, Customs, and other agencies. The IBIS checks are reportedly instituted to "identify" suspected terrorists, aggravated felons, wants and warrants, previous INS contacts, national security risks and other causes for security concern.
A hit on an IBIS is known to cause a substantial delay in processing cases in order to establish identity, especially when similar common names are involved. The INS sources indicate that submitting a copy of the alien's driver license can be very helpful in alleviating such delays as the driver license includes such identity information as height, weight, hair color, etc. Driver license is considered a "private" document and not everyone will be comfortable to submit a copy when they file any application or petition. However, in some situations, particularly people from certain parts of the Middle East, East Asia, and Africa may want to consider such option after seeking legal counsel on the issue. In Islamic world and Hindu culture, certain names are extremely common and in a number of cases, the names are used loosely without clear identity.
Tips: People may want to print a "full" name, including middle name, with no abbreviations, and consider enclosing a copy of their driver licenses to help the INS to deal with the delays caused by the IBIS check. It is not a requirement, but a good tip of information to consider!

If you are out of status before 180 days before applying I-485,
you must use section 245(k)

Here some Information on it

<http://my.netian.com/~wintry/memo2.htm>
"an employment based immigrant may adjust status in the United States under section 245(k) even if he has been out of status for up to 180 days since his last entry into the U.S."

<http://www.rreeves.com/pub_129.htm>
Finally, Section 245(k) allows for the adjustment of status of certain employment-based immigrants notwithstanding the fact that the Applicant is out of status, as long as the out of status period is less than 180 days. The INS has stated the 180 days is measured only from the expiration of their authorized stay since the alien’s last entry into the United States, which means that the time is not counted in the aggregate, but must be consecutive to lose eligibility.

It takes about 3-4 weeks for FBI to send result of FingerPrinting Check Result Back to INS

FingerPrint remains valid on file for 15 months. If your case comes to consideration after 15 months, you'll have to do FP again. (So, for my case, I'll have to re-do the FP).

Some Common RFE for Adjustment of Status

1)Non Imigrant status prior to file the I-485 application.
2)Employment Authorization
3)Birth Certificates

NSC AVM Phone Number : 402-323-7830

INS WebSite regarding I-485
http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

I-485 Tracker

http://www.rupnet.com/immigration/index.asp

Advantages and Disadvantages of EAD

Advantages of EAD:

- you can work part time for another employer. but you *must* remain employed full time with your I-140 sponsor to keep your I-485 alive.

- in case you are laid off, you can immediately join another employer using EAD. however, in order to ensure I-485 approval, the new job must match the old job which was labor-certified (and your I-485 should have remained unadjudicated for more than 180 days... read up on AC-21!).

- if you are reaching the 6-year limit on your H1B, you can switch to EAD instead of applying for a 7th year extension. however, this is risky due to the following:

Main disadvantage of EAD:

- if you switch to EAD, you lose your non-immigrant status that went with H1B. so in case your I-485 is denied, you cannot revert to H1B, and you are immediately out of status, and must leave the U.S.

Very Good Link on I-485 (You should check it out)

http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/index.html
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/

I will try to add tracker for Concurrent Filing

Anybody please post your RD and ND for Concurrent Filing

Please give me suggestion to make this FAQ helpful for
anybody

Thanks

Re : Concurrent filing EAD and AP from Local INS

I spoke to my lawyer, he mentioned that it is better to
apply EAD / AP to NSC instead of local office

He said most of the time processing in NSC is faster than
local office , because in order to get EAD in local office
is subjected to local office policy. Some local office does
not even granted EAD anymore

If you still like to go to local office and EAD application to
NSC already pending for 90 days, you can go to local office
and they required by law to issue EAD for you

Thanks

Applied I 485 and EAD

Add my details..........

We (Me and My wife) both applied for I485 and EAD at NSC on 09/13/2002 still waiting for receipt ........

Shashi

please help

My attorney send I-485, FP and EAD papers to NSC on 08/15. He has not received the notice receipt or anything from INS. When i called NSC, the immigration office said that they have not received my case till now as it is not in their system.

It has been more than a month. Is it common for NSC to take that long to assign a case number. Is anybody who has send the papers aroind the same date is waiting for the Receipt notice.

Please help

thanks,

khanraza>>Receit Notice

Hello Khan raza,
Forgive me if I spelled your name wrong. Did you/your lawer send your application by express mail (FedEx, DHL etc)?? Track the mail. It should say some professional from NSC has received it. You should his/her name. One month late is not big deal.
I would be scared if it is more than approximate 40 days. Plase your check is cashed or not. If everyhting is ok, then call again and mention that your check has been cashed, application has been received by 'x'. Yet, If you dont get positive response, ask your lawer to make another petion with the cover letter what will specify that he did not get acknowledgement of the previous petition. it will also state that ignore this if the previous one is received and still under processed.

Try this. it wont harm. However, please do not worry if this is express mail. A huge package can not just get lost inside Nebraska service center building's.

You will be fine.

I am not a lawer.

Receipt notice

The application was send by fedex and the fedex tracking shows it was received by NSC @9am on 08/15. Since the lawyer has mentioned a waiver on the fedex package, it was not signed by anybody.

I inquired my bank and the check is still outstanding.

Thanks for your prompt reply. If anybody else can throw more light on this topic, it would be really helpfull.

Thanks,

As the concurrent filling rule is fairly new, it is possible that some mail handlers in NSC don't aware of these new rules (NSC suppose to educate them first and only then introduce the new rule, but do they cares?). So, if your mail falls in hands of one of those guys, they may return your application saying that - We don't process concurrent filling cases. Which is sooo ridicules!!

But I know, it happened for few people. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks!

Tracker update

Hi,
To all person that already receive RECEIPT from INS
please let me know their RD, ND , AP, EAD and Lin Number
so I can update tracker

Thanks

Anybody wants to add something to FAQ on
concurrent filing ?

Please let me know

received HD copy for I-140 approval

hey wxm , my lawyer received the hd copy for I-140 approval on 9/13/02, please update my information on the xls sheet.thanks

Since my I485 case is not received by NSC, my lawyer says he has to file the case again ..... I am not sure how it is going to work. Experts can throw more light on it...

I485 is disappeared somewhere in the mail room. I called fedex to find out whom do they delivered the package and they say they did delivered to the mail room...

Puzzled ....

Is anyone else having the same problem, let me know.

Khan Raza>>Mail Lost

khanraza,
This is very frustrating. Isn't it? I donno whether any person had this experienced before, yet as Havebeenwaiting says when facility people receive the mail, they might lost it somehow which is very hard to think of. However, I wont wait anymore, I wont spend much time calling FedEx, I would rather file another I-485 as soon as possible. Well, you can investigate about the missing mail at the same time, but Dont wait a single minute investigating that mail thinking that you would be able to find it, and you do not have to file it again. It wont be a good idea at this moment. Do whatever you like to do, but file another one today.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone recently received the receipts?Please post the information

Hey MMGGDD have you receive the receipts for your I-485 and EAD etc.

Thanks

Hey dolly75

Hey dolly75 i havent received the receipt notice yet, But i called INS today and they told me that i dont see my case yet in the system,They told me that the receipt notice varies from 4-6 weeks and it depends upon the workload.I will suggest you to call them up and find if they recieved your application( try in the morning around 8:00 am otherwise you wont be able to get conected) for your reference their number is 402-323-7830.

Thanks MMGGDD for the quick response.

What exactly did you ask when you called INS.I mean what information do I need to give them,to pull up my case in their system?
I hope you got my question.

Thanks

Is it normal?

I'm not sure whether SVC is working faster than before. Here is my case:

Filing Date: 8/6
ND of I485, I131, I765: 8/15
RD of EAD: 9/14
RD of AP: 9/12
FP Date: 9/26

Calling INS

Hey dolly75 when u call INS they will ask u for A number ( which they say is at the back of ur I-94 card) but i could'nt find any A number, tell them u dont have any A number, and then they can pull of ur case using ur name and date of birth.yesterday i called them but the line is always busy so i tried the number for 25 minutes and finally got through.( I hope you have a redial button or speed dial on ur phone )

Thanks MMGGDD,I will try calling INS as per your suggestions.
Thanks for your help ,i greatly appreciate your quick and valuable suggestion.