computer experts here?

jjusa

Registered Users (C)
What would do you for a brand new latitude 510 if the computer will not read any CD you put in?

The dell customer service line is worse than the USCIS's. Darn.

jw1951 said:
What would do you for a brand new latitude 510 if the computer will not read any CD you put in?

The dell customer service line is worse than the USCIS's. Darn.

Send it back and ask for a refund (my wife's strategy, and it always works for her, but not for me)! :(

Anyway, is this a new computer? I am surprised since I own a couple of Dells, and their customer support (even though they are in India) was very helpful.

D.

make sure the the CD you are butting is not bad , or the CD-ROM is not Disabled from the BIOS.

... I don't think this is the right Place to ask this Q's. there are alot of Tech Forum in the net.

Good luck

anotherway said:
make sure the the CD you are butting is not bad , or the CD-ROM is not Disabled from the BIOS.

... I don't think this is the right Place to ask this Q's. there are alot of Tech Forum in the net.

Good luck

He tried few CD's saccording to the message and if CDROM tried to read and gave him an error then it's not disabled. AS a DCSE (Dell Certified System Expert) I can suggest to get DELL since it's new laptop and ask for CDROM replacement.

Tip: Never touch the reading head of the CDROM with anything.

Try to reinstall drivers for CD,
Control panel/device manager/ .......if you see CD rom drive/update drivers if not ,,Sand sucker back and forget Dell Thats a sign you will have problems in the future.
care2much

Care2much said:
Try to reinstall drivers for CD,
Control panel/device manager/ .......if you see CD rom drive/update drivers if not ,,Sand sucker back and forget Dell Thats a sign you will have problems in the future.
care2much

Most of the new computers recognize CD-rom before the Operating System is initialized. Therefore, I don't think this is a driver issue, but a hardware issue.

Now wantmygcnow, feel free to move this thread to the unrelated threads :)

D

Lazerthegreat said:
I thought this is an immigration forum? :D

if 'professor' shamshon could use this forum to denigrate America all the time, we could certainly use this to ask questions about computers.

dardan said:
Most of the new computers recognize CD-rom before the Operating System is initialized. Therefore, I don't think this is a driver issue, but a hardware issue.

Now wantmygcnow, feel free to move this thread to the unrelated threads :)

D

U just have bad CDROM. Change it. End of discussion.

I believe, you received the defect DVD/CD Drive,
Call Dell CS, and try to exchange with a new latitude 510, since you received it less than a month.

although its a immigration forum.
but as you asked for it, i am gonna try to answer you (hope other ppl dont mind)
:) another reason is I am getting so much from this forum and never been able to give anything in return, due to my poor knowledge of Law.

well, my suggestions:
To determine the culprit between OS and hardware. find a bootable cd, usually atleast one bootable cd came with the computer, like Windows XP or something.

put that in the cd drive and reboot the computer.
it should boot from the cd.
if not try to go to BIOS (i think in dell its either "DEL" or "F2") and make sure that the CD Drive is in the top booting order.

if it does boot, that means OS is corrupt, if it doesnt Drive is bad.

mmbutt said:
although its a immigration forum.
but as you asked for it, i am gonna try to answer you (hope other ppl dont mind)
:) another reason is I am getting so much from this forum and never been able to give anything in return, due to my poor knowledge of Law.

well, my suggestions:
To determine the culprit between OS and hardware. find a bootable cd, usually atleast one bootable cd came with the computer, like Windows XP or something.

put that in the cd drive and reboot the computer.
it should boot from the cd.
if not try to go to BIOS (i think in dell its either "DEL" or "F2") and make sure that the CD Drive is in the top booting order.

if it does boot, that means OS is corrupt, if it doesnt Drive is bad.[/QUOTE

ah???

What OS has to do with cdrom???

Reinstall the hardware

Uninstall the device from device managerand restart the machine, after you restart the device will be detected automatically.
Try it after that if it still cannot read CDs then the CDRom drive is defective and it needs to be replaced.

Thank you for all your replies. Thanks in part to your help I was able to determine that my drive was defective. Dell sent me a new one and it is working fine now.

Thank you again for your help.

ayyubov said:
ah???

What OS has to do with cdrom???

Well his problem solved.
However, sometimes the problem is in the OS e.g drivers, registry [these are part of OS]. As OS starts after the POST. You can eliminate it by trying to boot from BIOS. If you are able to boot from the bootable cd that means problem is not in the hardware.