Complicated Situation

visa_hurdles

Hello!

I have a complicated situation and was wondering if someone could shed some light on it.

I currently live and work in Canada (Permanent Resident, not a Citizen). The firm I'm currently working for is thinking of sending me to one of their clients for a period of 1-2 years to get some consulting work done for them. I will be working in the US, but I will be getting paid in Canada, into a Canadian account, and taxed under Canadian laws. Now, they've sent people in the past and all of them have been Canadian, so they could simply get a TN visa at the border point.

Since I'm not Canadian, the TN Visa is not an option for me and I need to apply for a H1B Visa. I currently hold a valid 10-year B1/B2 Visa. I wanted to know if its possible that I can go and start the consulting work in the US on the basis of a B1 Visa (technically I'm not earning anything there) while the firm processes the required H1B stuff. Then, once its done, I could make a week trip back to Canada for the stamping.

Thoughts??

I would advise you strongly against this route. B-1 is fine for business visits, meetings, consulations, etc. However sitting at a client's premises and doing work for them, regardless of where you are getting paid is where it gets into dangerous territory!!!

I wanted to know if its possible that I can go and start the consulting work in the US on the basis of a B1 Visa (technically I'm not earning anything there) while the firm processes the required H1B stuff. Then, once its done, I could make a week trip back to Canada for the stamping.