Cleared N-400 interview but no decision :(

desi2go

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview today at Dallas. I passed my interview. The IO made me sign my Photo and sign the N-400 at both the required locations. I was then told that my interview is done but a decision cannot be made with my case because the IO did not get the status of my background check. He then proceeded to tell me that he would get the status of the background check by today evening and since I've never been in any trouble with the law I should have cleared it.He told me that he would process my file as soon as he got the BG status and it would be ready by end of the week. He told me to wait for my oath letter in the mail(which he claimed would take 3-6 months). I was under the impression that my background/name-check was complete. Infact, I applied along with my husband and he completed his interview 6 months ago! All along, I was waiting for my FBI name check to clear.
Anyone heard of this before?

Timelines:
Me:
N-400: 9/06
FP: 10/06
Interview: 6/07

My husband:
N-400: 9/06
FP: 10/06
Interview: 1/07
Oath: 4/07

I heard many people are going through name checks even in GC case, and it is common these days. Not sure what name check they exactly do. Google search can find about a person in 30 minutes.

Namecheck is one of the several security checks that the FBI conducts as part of the normal naturalization process. In can take anything from a few weeks to a couple of years. Most are in the 3-9 month range and yours is well within "normality".

The only slightly odd thing in your case is that in 2006 the USCIS announced that it was only going to schedule interviews when namecheck was complete.

However, it seems as tho' they just did not complete the logistics to link your background work with your interview together in a very efficient way. I would not worry too much; I am guessing that they will wrap yours up very quickly from what I read in your note.

Oath ceremony

My husband received his letter to appear for the oath ceremony. On the form, the box was checked off that he should bring a re-entry permit. I did a little research and re-entry permits are only given if you are going to be out of the US for a given amount of time. He was never out of the US for this amount of time, so I am confused as to why re-entry permit is checked off on the form. Did this happen to anyone else?

I am in the same boat here

I am in the same boat here.

I just completed my interview at the Dallas DO.
I passed the civic and english exam.
Same thing, I signed the photos, and application.

Finally, the IM officer handed me the paper with the following:

- You have passed the English and US History Exam
- A Decision cannot be made yet

When I asked him why he said it is only administrative stuff.
It requires his supervisor to approve it.

I asked him if I cleared the BackGround Check and he replied, you wouldn't be here in the interview if you didn't.

He said, it will propably take 1.5 month to hear back from them.

Any idea why this is happening? Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a call from the IM who interviewed me today to inform me that he approved my case and that he is sending the Oath letter in the mail today for 8/8/07 in Plano.

I asked him if he can make it in the Fort-Worth Cermony on 7/16.
He was very nice and changed it.

I am going to stay skeptical until I have the Oath letter in my hand.
I will keep you posted.

1447b

Flydog
Thanks. Could you throw somelight on how to approach 1447b? Is there a process to file. Should I leverage a lawyer? Any inputs you can give will be very helpful.

Look on the form that they gave you (at the bottom). It says something like - you have the right to some some sort of judicial process if we can't make a decision in 120 days.

So, the process is, get ready for it, wait. However, once four months go through, they are supposed to be on the hook to make a decision. Hopefully you don't need to go that route (try them, then your congressman/senators first). But, it is something in your arsenal. One of the "stickies" on this forum discusses the process.

Very common in Dallas DO

I asked him if I cleared the BackGround Check and he replied, you wouldn't be here in the interview if you didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Hi mimo_yyy
I am not surprised at all. You are not the only one. I have known few people in Dallas who had the same issue as yours. The interview is completed and no decision was made. This is so common these days especially in your Dallas DO office. Don't worry, be little patient & you should hear something from USCIS in the mail no later than August. Good luck.

Thanks in advance,

A bunch of us are in the same boat, all we have to do is to chill,this is no yet a cause of alarm.

well u guys need to hear my story , i passed my citizenship test but my A file which is my original file is still stuck in Nebraska and i dont know how to get them to transfer it to the Do in detroit to make a decision on my citizenship?

Consider yourself lucky. In Dallas they "deschedule" your interview if your file hasn't shown up on time. It usually shows up within about a month (from what I've seen from other posters - mine did).

With an interview completed, they now "must" process you because the statute says they have only 120 days to make a decision. Had they descheduled you, they can leave your application to languish (like they did to mine).

Sit back and wait. Check in 4 to 6 weeks to see if the file has shown up. If it has, then get huffy and point to the 1447b statute, etc.

Good luck