Civil Engineering Bachelor's Degree looking to apply for TN Visa in Data Science/Engineering Field

santoshyandhe

Hi ,
I have completed my education in B.E.Civil engg in India. It was 4 years degree programme. I have been working in IT for 15 years. I want to know if I will be eligible to apply for the job in Data Science/Data Engineering field based on my current experience. I evaluated my degree in 2014 via WES and they mentioned that it is equivalent to 4 years degree.
I am planning to do 1 year master in data science so that I will be able to showcase my current experience is related to that field.

My question are mentioned below
1) Will I will be able to apply for TN based on my civil engineering degree alone?( I had Maths,Pascal, and C programming as a part of engineering subjects)
2) Do I need to complete 1 yr masters since my bachelor is not related to Computer field.?

Any advice on those questions will be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
My two cents...since I completed my BE (Chemical Eng) from India and currently in my 3rd TN.

1) As long as you have completed a 4 years engineering course and verified by the education evaluation, it is ok. See if you can mention somewhere in your evaluation that you have completed computer courses.

2) Regarding experience, you can mention to the officer that you have 15 years of experience in the IT field which is supported by experience letters and resume, you are ok. I was asked about it all the time and I presented all my experience letters and resume.

3) Doing a Masters in Data science will help you to get a job certainly. Not very much necessary to assist you in getting TN since you are already covered with 4 years degree course.

My two cents...since I completed my BE (Chemical Eng) from India and currently in my 3rd TN.

1) As long as you have completed a 4 years engineering course and verified by the education evaluation, it is ok. See if you can mention somewhere in your evaluation that you have completed computer courses.

2) Regarding experience, you can mention to the officer that you have 15 years of experience in the IT field which is supported by experience letters and resume, you are ok. I was asked about it all the time and I presented all my experience letters and resume.

3) Doing a Masters in Data science will help you to get a job certainly. Not very much necessary to assist you in getting TN since you are already covered with 4 years degree course.
Thank you so much for your reply. Your reply means a lot to me.

1. Yes, your evaluated foreign degree qualifies you.
2. An engineering TN does not need experience, nor can experience be used for engineering TN, and you don;t have the N American 2-year diploma for a CSA TN, so don't bother with experience.
3. A 2-yr masters in computer field would qualify you for CSA with your experience letters.

2. An engineering TN does not need experience, nor can experience be used for engineering TN, and you don;t have the N American 2-year diploma for a CSA TN, so don't bother with experience.
3. A 2-yr masters in computer field would qualify you for CSA with your experience letters.
Thank you very much Nelsona.

Hi Nelsona, Can you please confirm if is it mandatory to have 2 years masters? Many universities are offering Masters in data science after 1 year of course completion.

Regards,
Santosh Yandhe

TN requires a 2-yr diploma. Doesn't matter what the institution calls it, it's what DHS views it as.