Citizenship

lqlaw

Registered Users (C)
If I came to the U.S. on a tourist visa and I was unable to go back to my native country within the alloted time due to money restraints and I have been here for 8 years, is there anything I can do now to become a citizen?

If I came to the U.S. on a tourist visa and was unable to go back to my native country due to money restraints and have been here for about eight years, what can I do now to become a citizen?

No Title

there is some amnesty law for illegal aliens to apply for 485 if they illegally stay in the US for more than 7 years. i don\'t remember the details. check with a lawyer, there may be a way out for you.

thanks but....

Hello:
Thank you for replying, but how do I become a legal resident in my situation at this pointand with my illegal status? Is my only escape marriage?

Thank you for your reply. So it is something with an amnesty law? So many lawyers have taken my money and have left me stranded already. Do you have any other info?

?

Thanks for your reply. But what is a 245I and where do I get info, I am scared to go to a lawyer because of the Sept 11th incident.

Does anyone know about an amnesty law?

Does anyone know about an amnesty law to help someone that has been illegal in the US for over 7 years to help them become a citizen? I came here on a tourist visa and my money to travel back to my native country was stolen leaving me stranded and I have been illegal for about 8 years. What can I do?

?

I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions. What can I do? Is there any loopholes any hope.

its me again

I am a college student right now and if I graduate with a degree in engineering, do you think there is a way out if a company was to help me as I work for them? Or would they even hire me as an engineer even if I have a valid BA degree? Thanks again.

Knowledge?

Hello:
Where can I attain the knowledge you have, where do I go to find out all of this info?

Thank you again

I thank you again and I am so sad and scared to be in this situation. I am not a bad person and I want to get a degree and it seems like my choices of status have come to an end. Could you please help me if you hear of anything that may help me (ie 0 another amnesty law passed by Congress). God Bless.

Another question

What will happen if I have a baby with a citizen? Will there be any considerations on the 10yr ban, is there a law in my favor that I have to standby and support my baby in the US since my girlfriend cannot do it on her own and needs my support? What can I do in this case?

No Title

I am almost positive that as long as you entered with inspection(with a visa and checked at the port of entry) you can adjust the status, if you marry a citizen even if you have overstayed the visa.There is a web site where you can ask questions and get free advice from the lawyer http://www.immigrationlinks.com and click on Bulletin board.
good luck.

No Title

Once your spouse is a us citizen,and files for you, you will be able to remain in the US until your case is finally adjudicated. The fact that you overstayed will not affect your application for adjustment if you have proof of entry. 245i has nothing do with his case since he came on tourist visa and become spouse of a us citizen.
                      little bit about 245i.you said "Section 245(i) of the INA allowed people to file an I-485, even if not in legal status, by paying a fee of $1000".
1.Actually you dont have to pay the$1000 fine if you entered with inspection and the family i485 you are talking about is for who petitioned like brother,sister or father, mother not husband or wife.
2.The 245i comes in to picture for spouse is when she or he entered illegaly(without inspection).if this is the situation what you said is correct.
            BTW the web site i pointed is an excellent resource of info and because an immigration lawyer himself answers, the advice is more reliable than a discussion board like this provide.do little bit research about the 245iyourself before answering to this post.

Thank you

I really thank you for your time. As I was telling the other gentleman, I came on a tourist visa over 8 yeras ago and was unable to go back. I am now an engineering student and may not be able to get a license because of the new laws after 9/11. I will go to the website you advised and I am sure I will find info there as well. However, what would you do what is the process. For example. I am planning on marrying my girlfriend who is a citizen, but will I get in trouble if I have been here for so long and after she startd the process on sponsoring how long will all this take? I am so naive about all this aned it seems like all the lawyers I go to either do not take the case or take the money without helping me. And what about another option besides marriage, if applicable? Thank you . God bless.

Could you pls tell me from where this info is ????

You mentioned that a Immediate Relative of Citizen can apply for I-130 & I-485 even if she/he is out of status. Could you pls give the site info. thanks in advance

Question regarding I-130

Joef, thanks for the previous reply... what is the normal procedure in applying I-130 as Immediate Relative. I just want to know can we apply for I-485 along with I-130 or do we have to wait till we get the I-130 approved to apply I-485. Is the procedure for I-485 thru Employment & Family same ??? Is the I-485 process time same for Immediate Relative & Thru Employment ????
Thanks in advance....

What would happen if someone win the visa lottery but doesn\'t have regular status

I just was wondering if someone has the illegal status and win the lottery.

Section 245(i) can help u-wait till it is approved by congress

heard congress is evaluating will allow applications to Permananet resident under Section 245(i) again

watch the news -if it 245(i) approved by congress -then file an application with the help of a lawyer immediately.

just my view.refer a lawyer.most will provide 30 min free consultation.try 2-3.