Citizenship test dates?

pack2004

Registered Users (C)
does anyone know how long it is taking to reschedule a second test for canadian citizenship. I heard they are having systems problems and there is a big back log.

any info on whats going on and what is the likely date would be helpful. I missed my test scheduled for July 2004

:confused:

my first test was scheduled for first week or june. missed it, second was third week of july.

Citizenship question

Can we move out of Canada after applying for Citizenship?? Can we come back and attend the test/oath etc?? Say if I left to US and an H1B got stamped in an Indian passport and after citizenship my passport will change to CDN. In that case what will be the scenario?? Do I need to restamp the H1B in a Canadian passport?? Appreciate your response..

:Can we move out of Canada after applying for Citizenship??

Yes i did that.

:Can we come back and attend the test/oath etc??

Yes, i did that.

:Say if I left to US and an H1B got stamped in an Indian passport and after citizenship my passport will change to CDN. In that case what will be the scenario?? Do I need to restamp the H1B in a Canadian passport?? Appreciate your response..

this is tricky and i'm still trying to figure it.

after i got my H1 stamped, and i was writing my test next day, i asked the US consulate staff in toronto about the above. i was told, after i get the canadian passport and when i'm travelling to US, i should travel with my paystub and i *could* keep my indian passport with me as an indication that i have a working visa for US. i could choose not to keep my indian passport and that should be fine too.

when i got to the buffalo border, i asked again about the above. there i was told, canadians do not need any visa towork in the US. i inquired about the TN and i was told, i don't need it.

today, read this
http://travel.state.gov/visa/tempvisitors_types_temp_nafta.html#rcc

What about Indian dual citizenship?? Is it being finalised?? If its finalised then one should be ok to have both Indian passort with H1B and a Canadian passport.

Priya, Please post the status of your citizenship application. Have you obtained the citizenship card?? How you are planning to manage the H1B/Canadian passport???

There is nothing to manage in H1b and cdn passport. Just take your cdn passport to the POE and they will stamp and give you a new I-94. It is done. No management required

Sorry Bhand. I should have been more precise. Consider this scenario.
A guy stayed in Canada for three years and applied for citizenship.
After applying citizenship, he goes to US with an H1B stamped in the Indian passport.
He comes back and take the test/oath and eventually CDN citizenship.
He then applies for CDN passport.
After getting CDN passport does he need to restamp the old H1B (which is in the Indian passport. Also imagine that he is working in US) or can he manage with the I797. I think its bit tricky. Thanks for the response. This thread is amazing.

Take both passports and I-797 to POE and they will stamp your new passport and give you a New I-94 . Cdn citizens do not need visas just I _94 for H1-B

raj009,

the scenario you described is exactly what mine is. i got my H1 after i applied for my citizenship application and no, i do not need to get the H1 stamped again. The H1 i got already has approved *me* the person, not my passport or my country. If my nationality changes my approval for H1 (in most cases - unless my new nationality is of Libya for instance) for the person me is still valid.

re: do i even need a visa/status. as i've said on this forum already, when i inquired about this at niagara on my last trip, the US INS staff on the border told me that with canadian passport i don't need H1 or any other visa to work, i specifically asked about TN and they said not even TN. while posters on this board have clarified that TN is a status but i'm still confused. Going by what the INS staff said, i *need* neither visa (H1) nor status (TN). But posters here say i might need the status of TN. dunno yet, lets see.