citizenship questions

silver ring

Hello, everyone,

I have a dilemma. My husband, US citizen, passed away from a sudden heart attack 3 weeks ago. I was ready to file my petition for citizenship based on marriage. We have been married since 2010.
Could anyone advice me as to what supporting documents I should send along with my application? I am referring to documents to show that we were married at the time he passed.

Thank you.

Alina

You don't need to show you were married when he passed away. You need to attach evidence that your past marriages (including the one to your ex-husband) ended; and his death certificate should suffice.

You are applying for naturalization under the 5-year rule, right? Since you are not married to a US citizen, you do not qualify for naturalization under the 3-year rule.

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure under which rule I should apply, 3 or 5-year rule. Our marriage was genuine at the time of his passing.
What documentation do I need to provide in order to apply under the 5-year rule?

You have been a permanent resident for 5 years, right? If so, you should be applying under the 5-year rule (i.e. not based on marriage to US citizen) anyway, even if your husband were still alive. Here is a checklist of the documents needed for N-400.

Yes, I have been a permanent resident since September 2011. So, I guess I have to file after September of this year. Is that right?