citizenship question

How do you know they were mandatory deportable offenses? If it is not something obviously terrible like murder or rape or kidnapping, whether it is mandatory deportable, or even deportable at all, depends on the specific details of the case. Shoplifting isn't always deportable, but it can be.

It is not a mandatory deportable offense. Deportation for failing to file AR-11 is something they "may" do. But anything classified as an aggravated felony under immigration law (even if it's a misdemeanor under state law) brings mandatory deportation, unless one is successful at obtaining a waiver. Shoplifting can fall into that category.

http://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Again, it's up to each individual to decide whether to apply now and see what happens, or go on living their life and hope nothing happens. But in either case, somebody with a potentially deportable crime should consult a lawyer to get a realistic idea of the potential consequences and risks (or lack thereof) of applying vs. not applying.

Has anyone experienced issues on the AR-11 front? To my knowledge most people aren't even aware of it. I last moved in May 2002 and at that time this wasn't even a law (this one came into effect only after Sep 11, 2002). So should I be sending AR-11 in now (nearly seven years later)?

AP

Has anyone experienced issues on the AR-11 front? To my knowledge most people aren't even aware of it. I last moved in May 2002 and at that time this wasn't even a law (this one came into effect only after Sep 11, 2002). So should I be sending AR-11 in now (nearly seven years later)?

AP

This AR-11 has been required by law for a very very long time but
no one cares until after 9-11. An immigrant from Palestine was almost deported because of this.

Standard advice on this forum is to file AR-11 better later than never. I believe E-filingis allowed

Last edited by a moderator: