Citizenship Question

Murad312

Registered Users (C)
I have a Green card and now I received my Canadian citizenship and passport. My question is
Can I travel on my Canadian passport now instead on Pakistani? During my whole Green card process my citizenship was Pakistani .I got my Canadian passport because of travel hassle, I had to apply visa for all the countries and I travel a lot for my business and cant wait to get visa for weeks.
Would travelling on Canadian passport now would jeopardize my American Citizenship next year, when I apply? Would I have problem at the immigration when I am returning to the USA with Canadian passport?
Please reply, thanks

You can perhaps get away with this fine, as I don't think there are relevant questions during naturalization for this case. The main problem I see with your situation is that you were resident of two countries at the same time, and that you took a new citizenship while being a permanent resident of the U.S. Anyway, I don't know what to say as I don't have experience on this.

You can perhaps get away with this fine, as I don't think there are relevant questions during naturalization for this case. The main problem I see with your situation is that you were resident of two countries at the same time, and that you took a new citizenship while being a permanent resident of the U.S. Anyway, I don't know what to say as I don't have experience on this.

If I were an IO, I'd be very curious to see how you managed to obtain Canadian residency and citizenship while allegedly remaining a US resident. Something doesn't stack up, and I wouldn't be surprised if USCIS gives you a hard time.

Would travelling on Canadian passport now would jeopardize my American Citizenship next year, when I apply? Would I have problem at the immigration when I am returning to the USA with Canadian passport?
Please reply, thanks
Whether or not you travel with the Canadian passport, the mere fact that you obtained Canadian citizenship at a time when you are supposed to be a permanent resident of the US is enough to cause problems, unless you obtained it through a process that does not require you to be a permanent resident of Canada (e.g. derived through grandparents or some other such condition if it exists in Canadian law).

I would not mention anything that starts with Ca..and ends with nada. :)..All above mentioned points are very valid.

Murad312,
Did you obtain Canadian citizenship through naturalisation as a permanent resident without actually living there? Sadly a lot of people successfully do that while living in the US. In my opinion, the US will not care as long as you have met the residency conditions as far maintaining your US PR status is concerned.

I used to live in Canada and Canadian Citizenship was applied before getting the Green Card; and never lived in Canada or anywhere else other than USA after receiving the Green card
I only recieved the citizenship and passport after my Green Card.

Murad312,
Can you give me the following dates:-
(1) Date Canadian citizenship application sent
***I am assuming you got your immigrant visa at a US consulate***
(2) Date US immigrant visa received
(3) Date US immigrant visa used
(4) Date you moved to the US permanently
(5) Date you took your Canadian citizenship test
(6) Date you took your Canadian citizenship oath

Received Canadian immigration (September 2000)
February 2004 (applied Canadian Citizenship)
Applied for Green Card (My wife was the applicant) April 2002
(Going back and forth between US and Canada- maintaining Apartment in Canada and accounts and very lousy job)
May 2004 (Green card received)
Canadian Citizenship and other November-October 2004 (I was living in Atlanta and flown to Toronto for the ceremony)
Living in the USA without any interruption of residence: March 2003

Murad312,
This is my assessment/opinion to your multiple threads.

From USCIS's point of view, you are fine. You can use whichever passport you want. As long as you abide by your GC residency requirements, you should be granted citizenship when it is time.

From CIC's point of view, you are a Canadian citizen. It does not matter (at the moment) that they were not able to catch the fact that you had been living outside Canada for the last 20 months when you took your oath. You made your bed, now lie in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Triple Citizen
Canadian immigration required 3 years of residency before you applied for citizenship. I lived there without any interruption from September 2000 until March 2003, meaning 2 years and seven months, 5 months short of the residency requirements which I fulfilled before I applied for citizenship on October 2004.
I did not have to stay in Canada for oath and citizenship process . I told them at the citizenship ceremony and oath that I live in The USA.
I did not lie and I will happy to surrender my Canadian citizenship If I broke any immigration law of Canada. Could you please indicate one violation in my case? if there is any, I call CIC and will ask for clarification
Thank you for your insight so far

In this same thread first you say you applied for citizenship 13 months after moving to the US. Now you say you came back to add the 5 missing months and thus fulfill the 3 out of 4 years physical requirement. Can you please make up your mind?

I lived there without any interruption from September 2000 until March 2003, meaning 2 years and seven months, 5 months short of the residency requirements which I fulfilled before I applied for citizenship on October 2004.

I am not sure what you are saying? When I moved to USA I lacked 5 months for fulfilling the residency requirements and applied it after 13 months while I was living in the USA. I went to Canada many times and had the 5 months period covered.
Please look at the dates I provided in the thread and count the months.
Again please tell me any Canadian immigration law violation?

Look at my question in post#12 and you answer in #13. That makes no reference to you completing the 3/4 years requirement.

I am still confused what you are saying
Anyway, I never broke any law and was always truthful to authorities and I will always follow the law. I will call USCIS on Monday to see if that is Ok with them if I stop using my Pakistani Passport for future travel
Thank you for your opinions and thoughts. Much appreciated