Citizenship Interview / Former Asylee

acidor

Registered Users (C)
Hello all-

I decided to write this message hoping that maybe other people could learn from my experience; I, for sure, learned many things over the years reading this blog.

I applied for my citizenship at the end of January, received my fingerprint notice shortly and I had my interview in May (my 5 years eligibility was in April).

The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes and this time included the normal greetings at the beginning and end of the interview. The interview was in Chicago, and it went like this:

I was called in, swore in, and then quickly I had to answer 6 out of 10 civics questions correctly. It was nothing considering the fact that I went to school here in the United States. After I answered the questions correctly I was asked to read and write one question. Shortly after that, the nice officer went over my application. I was never asked how did I get my green card (it was obvious), never asked if I went back to my home country or anything related to my asylum case. I am currently married, and I was afraid that I will get in trouble because my husband is currently out of status; however, that didn't seem to be of importance to the officer and he even went further suggesting that I should apply for this adjustment asap, so he could have a legal status in this country. That was it! Oath ceremony was in one week!

The only thing that I could suggest other people that are going through the same situation is to be honest during the interview, don't have an attitude and everything will be fine. Remember that you have the interview in a government agency that should be respected by all means. While waiting for my oath letter I witnessed many people having an attitude with the officers and/or employees and believe me that is not a smart move.

Please feel free to ask any questions!