Citizenship application denied!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but some of us do drive, and do not get tickets. I drive 25,000 miles a year, and have zero speeding tickets, 1 ticket for expired plate (our fair state changed the date license plates expire and I was off by 3 days) and one written warning). That's 1 ticket and 1 warning (license plate sticker fell off in a car wash :eek:) in nearly a million miles and 25 years. And no, I'm no Mother Theresa, but I'm careful.

If the tickets are 'repeat' tickets like the cellphone tickets, perhaps you may get the message sooner or later and invest in a handsfree unit. My attire is never complete unless my Motorola HC690 earpiece is firmly attached to my ear...

I guess what I'm trying to tell you here is that six traffic tickets are a big deal, especially since they show that you prefer to ignore a (simple) law and pay the penalty rather than spend $50 at Best Buy and get a headset or other unit. Does that mean that you are likely to go bezerk and commit unthinkable crimes? no. Most likely not. But part of the 'morals' part is that one shows some basic respect for laws.

People from other countries tend to think differently than others in terms of what is allowed; last year a colleague from our Asia subsidiary, while on a business trip, was clocked at 118 mph driving a minivan. Ironically, he was driving to the Indianapolis 500 :D.

You obviously don't live in NYC!...(where getting cited is most often means to meeting city budget...than serve as deterrent).
I personally got cited while talking on the cell using an ear piece. The cop then tells me just show up in court and it will be dismissed:eek:. What if I couldn't make it to court? Go figure!.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously don't live in NYC!...(where getting cited is most often means to meeting city budget...than serve as deterrent).

I don't live in NYC, would never do in a million years, unless the majority of people there are thrown in into the Atlantic Ocean to wash off their awful behaviors...:eek: However, I know not to talk on my cellphone, is it maybe I have a small child? Of course not, it is just a simple courtesy to other drivers and my own safety. For example, I always tell my wife "never to ask me to look or point to anything outside the car when I am driving, even if she sees a nice house, car or plant, because the human nature is to look", and a split second distraction can be fatal...:eek: Of course, I can discreetly take a peek and I always do, but dude, other drivers aren't paying attention and we know what is going to happen, you dead mangled body will be laying there, whereas another driver has fled the scene, and for what? Talking on a cellphone...:rolleyes:

I don't live in NYC, would never do in a million years, unless the majority of people there are thrown in into the Atlantic Ocean to wash off their awful behaviors...:eek: However, I know not to talk on my cellphone, is it maybe I have a small child? Of course not, it is just a simple courtesy to other drivers and my own safety. For example, I always tell my wife "never to ask me to look or point to anything outside the car when I am driving, even if she sees a nice house, car or plant, because the human nature is to look", and a split second distraction can be fatal...:eek: Of course, I can discreetly take a peek and I always do, but dude, other drivers aren't paying attention and we know what is going to happen, you dead mangled body will be laying there, whereas another driver has fled the scene, and for what? Talking on a cellphone...:rolleyes:

I personally got cited while talking on the cell using an ear piece. The cop then tells me just show up in court and it will be dismissed. What if I couldn't make it to court? Go figure!.....

Al Southerner, I suggest you find another forum to vent your frustrations. Berating another's posters past actions or calling someone stupid will not get you very far here.

I personally got cited while talking on the cell using an ear piece. The cop then tells me just show up in court and it will be dismissed. What if I couldn't make it to court? Go figure!.....

If I were you, would call the court and request a continuance, do this three times and show up on the fourth time, the officer won't show up. I know people who committed moving violations, requested a continuance on numerous occasions and agree to appear for the 4th schedule hearing, 95% of all cases, the officers never showed up. If he's not there, you win..:) You can try a more audacious act, find which precinct the officer is stationed in, call the clerk there and ask when the officer is going on vacation, usually there is a large calendar with scheduled vacations, and schedule it for the day he's on vacation...:) You should convince the court clerk that since you have requested a continuance for 3 separate times, it is important that they schedule you on this date (when the officer is on vacation). :)

Al Southerner, I suggest you find another forum to vent your frustrations. Berating another's posters past actions or calling someone stupid will not get you very far here.

I gather that this is a threat of some sort? Please do whatever you want to do man, I have been a fair minded person who have provided valuable advise to people on this forum. Enough with your threats... I didn't envision starting my Jewish year in this manner...

If I were you, would call the court and request a continuance, do this three times and show up on the fourth time, the officer won't show up. I know people who committed moving violations, requested a continuance on numerous occasions and agree to appear for the 4th schedule hearing, 95% of all cases, the officers never showed up. If he's not there, you win..:) You can try a more audacious act, find which precinct the officer is stationed in, call the clerk there and ask when the officer is going on vacation, usually there is a large calendar with scheduled vacations, and schedule it for the day he's on vacation...:) You should convince the court clerk that since you have requested a continuance for 3 separate times, it is important that they schedule you on this date (when the officer is on vacation). :)

Thanks for your suggestions but if you read again, I was told by the officer himself that this particular ticket will be(and indeed was) dismissed in court. The name of the game is.... issue as many citations as possible and let those who don't contest/show up to court fill city coffers. :cool:

Thanks for your suggestions but if you read again, I was told by the officer himself that this particular ticket will be(and indeed was) dismissed in court. The name of the game is.... issue as many citations as possible and let those who don't contest/show up to court fill city coffers.

Former,

With the ear piece, I think the officer was going to a number of citation per....:rolleyes: Find the loopholes and win...:)

I think we should cool it off guys. This forum needs Bob's advice as well as Al's humors. So it will be a loss one way or the other if either one decides to call it quits or is banished.

Al Southner, are you free of mistakes? Until you find out all the details, please do not use this site in this manner. Whatever happened in the past does not make that man a bad person in the future. Let's help each other, especially because we are all immigrants.

Sometimes people come here for advice and are sometimes totally clueless.
Sometimes people come here for advice and are sometimes trying to dodge the system.
Sometimes people here come for advice and are consciously and sometimes subconsciously trying to present half truths ... as a practice before they see the USCIS.
Sometimes people just don't even read the "form not forum" and ask this forum on how to fill each line.

It does not matter to me what the situation is, people have their own reasons for doing all this.

However, reading between the lines, I can see patterns, maybe there are other kinds also. One of the expectations from the forum is to provide guidance. At the same time, don't we have eyes and usually figure out which category does an OP belong to? I see no harm in making such categorization ... I would not be able to rate each OP's chances from one to hundred, but I might be able to subjectively tell how much water (or s**t) each OP is in.

I think Al is doing the same. If we do not have any worries about his tone when he is helping someone, why do we worry about his (same) tone when he is pointing out the sad situation of a particular taste?

I think Al is doing the same. If we do not have any worries about his tone when he is helping someone, why do we worry about his (same) tone when he is pointing out the sad situation of a particular taste?

Because "pointing out a sad situation" by flaming is insensitive to the poster who is looking to this forum for useful advice, not a lecture on morality. There's a way to say something without resorting to bashing someone. If someone feels the OP has little or no chance of success for appeal, then it is sufficient to say so without having to attack them.

Because "pointing out a sad situation" by flaming is insensitive to the poster who is looking to this forum for useful advice, not a lecture on morality. There's a way to say something without resorting to bashing someone. If someone feels the OP has little or no chance of success for appeal, then it is sufficient to say so without having to attack them.

Ack...

If I were you, would call the court and request a continuance, do this three times and show up on the fourth time, the officer won't show up.

Highly unlikely you can call and ask for a continuance. You would have to show up on the assigned Court Date and ask the Judge.

Highly unlikely the Judge would grant a second continuance for a traffic offense. They can sometimes be convinced for one, but two or three, ain't gonna happen these days. The Courts are backlogged everywhere and you need a damn good reason for continuances these days.

Highly unlikely you can call and ask for a continuance. You would have to show up on the assigned Court Date and ask the Judge.

Highly unlikely the Judge would grant a second continuance for a traffic offense. They can sometimes be convinced for one, but two or three, ain't gonna happen these days. The Courts are backlogged everywhere and you need a damn good reason for continuances these days.

I am certain in Arizona you have to appear in person, not where I live. So, your experience is different, so are these states in the union. In VA, you call the clerk and request a different date than what was assigned, and you can do this on numerous occasions. I am not in the business of convincing you that this is the case, you either take my word for it or you don't, and will be fine either way. :rolleyes:

In New York State, you may call and ask for continuance (adjournment), but you may do so only once. Any subsequent continuance request requires a personal appearance at the traffic court.