Chicago INS transfer cases

Karthic

Registered Users (C)
RD: Oct 09,2001
ND: Nov 09, 2001

Both our cases( my wife and I) were transferrred on Jan 09,2003. Can anyone else share their experiences with local transfers..in terms of how long, what type of questions....etc
Thanks

Karthic

There are lots of postings here about Chicago local transfter. The official time frame is 6 months to one and half year. In practice, it is taking minimum year to hear from them

Gcard 2002,
My notice says that they are transferring my case to the Chicago INS for Speedy processing....now, does that indicate something or is this a standard letter to all.

Karthic

Speed processing is a standard message. I saw that notice for my cousin. It is very irritating but you have no chioce other than be patient for one year atleast before you start hearing from Chicago INS. Nebraska processing is out of the picture. You won't get any info. from them anymore. I am really hoping that mine doesn't get transferred when my case is opened. I know how it would be like to wait for ever.

I was wondering what makes INS transfer a case to the local office instead of issuing the approval notice from INS Service Center.

RAJ5

This is what I heard, so do not quote me on this later. If someone is married less than 2 yrs. before filing I-485, if something is not clear about the birth certificate or if the employement status is not clear or needs clarification, INS issues RFE. If our response to RFE doesn't clarify their concerns, the case gets transferred to local INS office. If the RFE is about employement verification, it is wise to submit to as many paystubs as possible (if sticking with the sponsoring employer even after 180 days) or submit new employer's letter with new employer's paystubs. That could avoid local transfer. Also, if the case is sponsored by a "prospective " employer whom you will be working after getting GC, the case will most likely get trasnferred to local office unless the beneficiary joins the company as soon as he gets EAD and notify the INS that he joined the prospective employer by showing employer letter and pay stubs. This show good intent and that would avoid case transfer to local office.

transfer reason to chicago

The reason for transfer can be anything .
My wife's case was transferred because they could not get her fingerprints right two times. The INS rule is if the "fingerprints" are rejected twice, they get transferred to the local office for speedier processing(or in our case delayed processing).
Her case was transferred in May 2002 and we are still waiting for an interview. They might take a year.....
I hope it doesn't get lost in paperwork........