Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

A friend of my attended the interview at the Chicago Downtown, Congress PKWY. He filed under 3 year rule. He was unexpectedly bombarded with marriage questions and wasn't very well prepared to answer them. Got the letter decision cannot be made and more evidence must be submitted.

Got a text message and e-mail :-

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: NBC*XXXXXXXXX

Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Oath Ceremony

On July 7, 2011, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies.

I passed the interview on Jun27, but the decision could not be made.

Update:

I just received this information e-mail on the status of my case.

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: NBC

Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Oath Ceremony

On August 23rd, 2011, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies.

Indiana_NW, I hope you hear something soon too.

Wow, the Chicago thread is unexpectedly quiet lately...

Anyway, hello everyone, just sent mine on Tuesday via Fedex overnight. Hopefully it won't take that long for the fingerprint letter to come since I'm going home (I'm a college student) for Christmas break for the better part of December.

Fingerprints done on the 7th of October and status change on the 11th of October to "Testing and Interview". Haven't received my IL yet. Is it normal for the IL to take up to a month or more?

About my interview experience:
Did mine in Chicago on the 22nd last month. First I was asked swear under oath that you're telling the truth and nothing but the truth, and then came a quick firestorm of questions about things in my application. The whole thing was mostly painless. Because I'm a college student who goes to school out of state, they asked me to show them my state ID or driver's licence, and I gave them my licence from my home state with an explanation of my situation, and showed them my proof of enrollment and current class schedule from my school. It seemed to count as sufficient proof of residence in-state for them.

Then came the test of reading, writing, and civics: they were a piece of cake, and the interviewer stopped after the sixth question for the civics part since I answered everything correctly.

Being an asylee derivate before I obtained PR status, I was rather worried about showing them my passport since it's long expired and I haven't used it at all since coming to the U.S., and as a result I don't have it on hand. I used my Re-entry permit as a passport for the one overseas trip I made (not COP), and just to be on the safe side I also brought with me photocopies of my expired national passport in case they ask for it. It turned out my worries were for nothing, however; they were satisfied with my re-entry permit and didn't even mention my national passport.

I'm getting a name change, so they verified that at the end, and I was asked to sign a bunch of documents, some with my current legal name and some with my new name. I was then given a sheet of paper that said I passed my interview, and asked to stay in the waiting area until they call out my name and give me my oath letter (not sure if this is the standard practice for other DOs, but this is how they do things in Chicago as of last month). After over an hour of waiting, I had my oath letter, hot off the press, in hand. One thing I noticed that most people's oath date were within the week, so I assumed that unless you request a name change, you should be able to take your oath within the week, perhaps even within a couple of days, after you pass the interview. There weren't anyone who got to take their oath on the same day that I know of, but I'm not entirely sure if it was because there weren't any oath ceremonies scheduled that particular day or if it just wasn't the practice in Chicago DO.

Good luck, everyone!

Waiting for my interview now......hope all goes well! Will post my interview experience! Good luck to all.

Done with citizenship process!!

Hi All

Just want to share the news that after 17+ years in this country, I can call myself a US citizen!!

I was a bit worried about my application due to a DWI I had in 1997. After the DWI, I had done all that the law required in terms of paying fines, etc. And also because I was out of the country for a significant period of time in the 5 years following getting my green card (this was to do my MBA). However, the interview was a breeze. It took 5 mins and the IO was VERY nice. She only asked for the court disposition paper for my DWI case, which I had ready with me. Nothing else. No questions about my stay abroad.

Please see the details of my case in the following thread.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...dy-abroad-for-20-months&p=2312607#post2312607

My dates are as follows: (CHICAGO district office)
Application sent: 01/03/2012
Application received: 01/06/2012
Fingerprints done: 02/03/2012
Interview letter received: 03/03/2012
Interview date: 04/11/2012
Oath letter received: 04/11/2012 (same day as interview)
(I was given oath date of 04/27/2012 in a suburb of Chicago, but i requested if I can go for the oath ceremony on 04/13/2012 in downtown Chicago. And they took it back and changed the date to 04/13/2012)
Oath ceremony: 04/13/2012
Received citizenship certificate: 04/13/2012

Good luck to everyone. Hang in there.

Best regards

N 400 Application Filed

Permanent Resident Since:07/04/2007

4/6/12 - Sent app via Normal Mail USPS -- USCIS P.O. Box 21251, Phoenix, AZ 85036 (Day 0)
4/10/12 - App received (Day 4)
4/12/12 - NOA sent (Day 6)
4/18/12 - NOA received (Day 12)
x/x/12 - FP notice sent (Awaiting)
x/x/12 - FP notice rec'd
x/x/12 - FP done
x/x/12 - Status changed to Interview and Testing
x/x/12 - N400 scheduled for interview
x/x/12 - Received Interview letter for date x/x/12
x/x/12 - Interview at Chicago , IL DO
x/x/12 - Oath Letter mailed
x/x/12 - Citizen of the US

Last edited by a moderator:
N 400 Application Filed

4/26/12 - Sent app via overnight Mail usps(Day 0)
4/27/12 - App received/PD (Day 1)
5/01/12 - NOA sent/Check Cashed(Day 5)
5/05/12 - NOA received(Day 9)
5/29/12 - FP notice sent
x/x/12 - FP notice rcv'd
x/x/12 - FP done

Last edited by a moderator:
Received FP / Bio Metric notice - N400 Naturalization / Citizenship

Museum, Iinesse

Had my interview today in Chicago. I passed. Oath is next Thursday. Very very excited and relieved. Here’s is my experience:

For a 10:45 appointment, I got there at 10:20. It was a big room full of people. This surprised me based on accounts of other interviews where people say there was no wait, and very few people.

I was called in at 10:50. The lady was very nice and professional. After oath, we did the test and I passed. She then asked where I worked. I gave her full details of my work as she seemed very interested. She looked like she liked my answers.

The interview was thorough. I feel like there were a couple of occasions she could have given me a hard time but she just smiled and moved on.

In the end, she said, I have approved you, and wait outside for oath letter. I asked, can I do same day oath and she said to me with a look that says, nice try buddy but not so fast, no we don’t do same day.

I have to say that the interview is very thorough although very professionals. She had a 2 inch file on me in front of her.

Yahoo!!! I feel free.

Received FP / Bio Metric no

4/26/12 - Sent app via overnight Mail usps(Day 0)
4/27/12 - App received/PD (Day 1)
5/01/12 - NOA sent/Check Cashed(Day 5)
5/05/12 - NOA received(Day 9)
5/29/12 - FP notice sent
x/x/12 - FP notice rcv'd
x/x/12 - FP done

Update before yellow letter arrived

Cathat..my case line is almost similar to that of yours. But have not received this letter yet.

Was there any status update before this letter arrived? I'm scheduled to visit India next month and following up just to make sure that I make necessary adjustments promptly, if required.

Thanks

No, there was no change in my on-line case status for the Yellow Letter (Still showing "In line for Interview Scheduling").

Cathat..my case line is almost similar to that of yours. But have not received this letter yet.

Was there any status update before this letter arrived? I'm scheduled to visit India next month and following up just to make sure that I make necessary adjustments promptly, if required.

Thanks