Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

My interview experience at Chicago DO

Parking Situation: There are few garages walking distance from federal building ranging $12 - $15 cash only.

No food or drinks are allowed. Please don't bother taking your family or specially kids if you are not required to do so, there will be long unscheduled and unexplained waits, there is no food available in this building. I felt bad of some families who stayed 4-6 hours with kids who were just waiting for one parent to interview. Now to real stuff.

I arrived an hour earlier than scheduled, received a pager to get in queue to meet with IO, I got called 75 min after my interview time. Interview lasted about 15 minutes, this office is highly organized, polite with neat and clean offices. I was asked for GC and IL appointment letter to cross check. I carried bunch of other docs as requested and passport too, none were asked for. First I was asked to stand up and do verbal oath, then it started with civics test, after asking me questions IO was writing notes on my answers, got 6/7. IO was kind enough to tell me which one I goofed up with. Then it was reading and writing test. IO started reviewing application line by line asking series of questions from the application itself (address, dob, ever arrested, deported, will you serve the country,etc.. yes/no's). At the end asked me to write my name on the application, sign the pictures sent with application, letter notifying that I passed the test. That's it. Then back in waiting area to collect oath letter.

Congratulations!
That's great that you don't have to wait for the Oath Letter:) In two weeks yoy are going to be US CITIZEN.

ak3130 - no same day oath for you?

Do you know why they did not do the same day oath for you?

Thank you.

My interview experience at Chicago DO

Parking Situation: There are few garages walking distance from federal building ranging $12 - $15 cash only.

No food or drinks are allowed. Please don't bother taking your family or specially kids if you are not required to do so, there will be long unscheduled and unexplained waits, there is no food available in this building. I felt bad of some families who stayed 4-6 hours with kids who were just waiting for one parent to interview. Now to real stuff.

I arrived an hour earlier than scheduled, received a pager to get in queue to meet with IO, I got called 75 min after my interview time. Interview lasted about 15 minutes, this office is highly organized, polite with neat and clean offices. I was asked for GC and IL appointment letter to cross check. I carried bunch of other docs as requested and passport too, none were asked for. First I was asked to stand up and do verbal oath, then it started with civics test, after asking me questions IO was writing notes on my answers, got 6/7. IO was kind enough to tell me which one I goofed up with. Then it was reading and writing test. IO started reviewing application line by line asking series of questions from the application itself (address, dob, ever arrested, deported, will you serve the country,etc.. yes/no's). At the end asked me to write my name on the application, sign the pictures sent with application, letter notifying that I passed the test. That's it. Then back in waiting area to collect oath letter.

all applicants who interviewed that day were given july 14th as oath day.
In chicago they do oath at cricuit court. Federal bldg where interview takes place only handles interviews. I asked the officer and they told me dearborn location is where oath takes place.

btw, I had to wait 2.5 hours to get oath letter that day after my interview was done!

Do you know why they did not do the same day oath for you?

Thank you.

Seems like people who did their fingerprinting in April got their interview letters ~1 month later. I did mine two months ago in May and haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have the number for the Chicago DO? Is it worth calling to check on the status?

Thank you

Thank you...

In chicago they do oath at cricuit court. Federal bldg where interview takes place only handles interviews. I asked the officer and they told me dearborn location is where oath takes place.

btw, I had to wait 2.5 hours to get oath letter that day after my interview was done!

I called USCIS the same thay I received yellow letter. First to get to life person I pressed the number saying that I dont have the case number and then I told them that I am affraid that my interview letter got lost. They transfered me to person who had access to my file. They said to wait because interview was not scheduled. You can try too, maybe you will have better news. I called 1800 number I found on their web. Let me know if they will give you ane info.

Seems like people who did their fingerprinting in April got their interview letters ~1 month later. I did mine two months ago in May and haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have the number for the Chicago DO? Is it worth calling to check on the status?

Since your timeline shows you recd the yellow CFR letter, it means your interview letter is on it's way shortly.

In chicago they do oath at cricuit court.

I do not live in Cook County, so the oath will be in the local circuit court then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with second level IO.. my file is in the que for interview for last month. I don't know why its taking so long to wait for interview?

Just called my local courthouse, they said they held naturalization ceremony twice a year. I was wondering if it is possible to ask for the ceremony to take place in Chicago instead?

I'm in the same boat. I filed on 4/22, was fingerprinted on 5/22, received the yellow letter on 6/4, still waiting for interview letter.

Update:
04/29/09 : Priority Date
05/05/09 : Checks cashed
05/07/09 : NOA received
05/11/09 : Fingerprint Notices (self and wife) received
05/28/09 : Fingerprint appointments and done
07/06/09 : CFR - Document checklist (yellow letter)
07/06/09 : Interview Letter received
08/28/09 : Interview Date

Congrats India_1975! I guess that gives us all some hope. Although, it also makes me concerned that something is wrong with my case since I did my fingerprinting before you and still no IL :(
04/29/09 : Priority Date
05/05/09 : Checks cashed
05/07/09 : NOA received
05/11/09 : Fingerprint Notices (self and wife) received
05/28/09 : Fingerprint appointments and done
07/06/09 : CFR - Document checklist (yellow letter)
07/06/09 : Interview Letter received
08/28/09 : Interview Date[/QUOTE]

GOOD NEWS:) I just received phone call from my husband. Interview Letter RECEIVED:) smartspider and Misha K you are next:)
Now when I look at others signatures I dont understand the system at all... Its just doesnt make sense at all. How come I got my IL later then India 1975 and my Interview is scheduled earlier then his?

Oh, and by the way... I signed up for the email confirmation. I never received one and I just checked Case Status Online - still says "received and pending" so don't bother waiting for that....:(