Chicago Citizenship Interview Questions

oath letter

I received my oath letter on Thursday the 4th. I am set for March 23, 8:00 am. I was interviewed on Feb 26, letter was dated March 1st, and sent on March 2nd. Very quick.

June 12 2003 Priority Date
March 23 2004 Oath Ceremony
Almost 9 months from start to finish.

I had a pager and two cell phones with me, and everybody was ok with it.

CD...I saw your postings.....congrats to you also....I have my interview on same day as your oath...plz write yr timeline !!!

Finally! We are US citizens.

Thanks for everyone's help.

They just need GC, oath letter, and any other INS/BCIS issued documents like reentry permits (white color passport like document), etc.

Oath ceremony went fine. There were a total of 100 people naturalized at our ceremony. The whole process took around 2 hours (11:30AM - 1:30PM).

Good luck to everyone else.

Next, need to apply for US passport and Indian visa/PIO (haven't decided which way to go yet). Any advise from the group?

Thanks again and good luck!

RSV,

Great!

Re. Visa Vs PIO: I guess it's easier and quicker to get a Visa
than a PIO. Later (after 3/4 months) I think one could regain
the Indian citizenship after dual-citizenship becomes a reality.

However, not sure what happens if you are on a Visa and have to work in India? I know PIO card would be better for this case until dual-citizenship. But, at the same time I read some info on RBI web site about NRIs not requiring any visa/PIO card to work in India... but can't find that link any more!

SamP

Folks,

I also completed my interview and I echo the same
comments as CD, RSV and Bilent, it was quick, smooth and
I rcvd letter saying you passed and appl. has been reco. for
approval!

If any one has specific Qs I can answer them.

SamP

USC to apply for GC for spouse in Chicago

I will apply for a GC and an EAD for my wife the day after my oath ceremony in Chicago. My wife is currently on H-1. What is the current timeline? How long does it take to get the EAD? and the interview?

Any tips to make things faster and smoothly?

Thank you.

My Dear Fellow Americans and TO BE Americans,
My Oath date is March 24. I will be applying for my dad and for my brothers. Can someone explain what do I have to do, eg which form to fill and how can I make the process a little faster.
I will appreciate it.
CD

CD-

I know in my case I file I-130 petition for alien relative and my wife fills out I-485. It will probably be very similar for your case too. There are some other forms to be filled out also, check out

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

However, I suggest that you do the following:

1. Download the forms from the website
2. Order the forms by mail
3. Also stop by the Chicago BCIS office and get the forms from the lady on the first floor. She knows exactly which forms are required.

To my surprise, I put all three forms side by side, and the edition dates are all different. Also in one of the packages (I think the mailed package) some of the forms had already expired and could not be used. Make sure you go to

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

and check the last column which tells you which editions can be used. Also the form package I got from the local office has special mailing instructions, so be sure to read everything in there.

Bilent,
Thanks for the info.
My dad is still back home. Should we ask him to come here on a visit visa first. I have also read somewhere that if someone come here on a visa and then file for Adjustment of status or I-130, INS can deny their application...
Since he is not in USA, how long does it take (according to the current timeline) for him to become LPR.
Can I file I-130 and I-485 at the same time???
Thanks
CD

I don't know. My wife is in the US so things are a little different. Sorry I can't be of help on that one.

Oath Ceremony in Chicago

The oath ceremony went well. Showed up at 8:00 am, there was a long line. They took us in around 8:45. The judge had a 5 minute speech, then he read the oath of allegiance and then we said "I Do". That was it. Then the USCIS officers handed out the naturalization certificates. We were out by 10:00 am. I applied for a passport this afternoon.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Bulent

Good Luck Bilent

My interview was a smooth ride. We both (my wife) had an extreme polite girl officer.

After taking Oath, She asked 6 questions from same 100 Qs.

1. President at Civil war time
2. # of Judges
3. Name of CJ
4. 3 Branches of Gov.
5. Introduction to constitution
6. What change in constitution said

Than aske me to write a line.

Went our my application.

There was little spelling diffference in my Birth certificate and Green card (mOhammad and mUhammad), she suggested petition of name change to fix it. I ask about delay in Oath due to name change. She said atleast in Chicago, it does not matter and told me you will get oath letter "very soon".

I offered speeding tickets - she was not interested. Similarly she was not interested in my 5 yr tax papers.

She gave both of us approval letter.

We both interviewed at different time but by same lady.

I found Chicago citizenship office very organised and polite

passport

I had applied the next day after oath, March 24th for my passport. I chose to go with Expedited (a little more expensive). They ask you to give the naturalization certificate to process the passport applicatoin. Today I got my passport and my certificate back. Officially I am done with USCIS but the story continues with my wife's green card application, which we submitted last Monday. Let's see how it will go.