N-400 received by NSC - 5/28/03
Check cashed - 6/2/03
Receipt arrived - 6/15/03
Fingerprint notice received - 6/16/03
Figerprints done - 7/10/03
Interview notice received - 12/6/03
Interview scheduled in Chicago - 2/17/04

Questions for others who have gone thru interview and oath in Chicago -

1. Are the interviews for spouses conducted separately or together (My wife and I have different appt times - so I think I know the answer to this but I just want to verify from others)?

2. Please give me an idea of the duration and nature of questions at the interview.

3. How long is the time between interview and oath ceremony?

4. Can we travel to India between interview and oath?

5. Do you receive the citizenship certificate at the oath ceremony or do you receive it in the mail later?

6. What documents should we take to the interview?

7. Any tips from fellow members would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to responses and thanks in advance for everyones help. Happy New Year and Good Luck To All.

Regards,
RSV

1. Are the interviews for spouses conducted separately or together (My wife and I have different appt times - so I think I know the answer to this but I just want to verify from others)?

USCIS staff try to keep you together for interview. Even though your timings are different but it is possible that same Officer may interview both of you. If you dont want to be interviewed by the same person then go at different time for interview. Its your choice.

2. Please give me an idea of the duration and nature of questions at the interview.

Interview duration can vary from 10 minutes to 45 minutes. They go through your N-400 application thoroughly.

3. How long is the time between interview and oath ceremony?

It depends (anywhere from 1 day to 2 years). I don't know about Chicago.

4. Can we travel to India between interview and oath?

Yes you can but you have to mention it on the day of oath.

5. Do you receive the citizenship certificate at the oath ceremony or do you receive it in the mail later?

Oath Ceremony

6. What documents should we take to the interview?

Try to find the answer in this forum. We have discussed this issue several time. They may ask you tax return, marriage certificate etc.

7. Any tips from fellow members would be greatly appreciated.

Speak truth and you are all set to go for citizenship.

Good luck.

SamP,

Yes, the case status info has disappeared in the BCIS website. Thanks.

Just for information, I am from Chicago, too

June 11, 2003 Mailed N-400
June 18, 2003 $310 Check cashed
June 20, 2003 Received NOA#1, receipt
July 9, 2003 Received NOA: Fingerprinting Appt
July 29, 2003 Fingerprints taken
July 29, 2003 FBI received, approved and sent back the fingerprints to BCIS

Interview scheduled for February 26, 2004.

RSV,

Please keep us posted. My question will be: Are they picking the history questions from the standard 100 question list or not?

Thank you

RSV,

Also, could you pl. keep us posted if majority of your questions were from the first 25 listed in the N-400 sample Qs.

Srimom,

What is your experience about history/govt. questions?

Thanks

Chicagodesi,
RSV,

All the best for your interviews (Feb 17,18).

Please keep us posted.

Thanks.

Interview Complete

Fellow Chicago Applicants,

We (my wife and I) completed our citizenship interview in Chicago today. All the questions were from the 96 questions given in the Naturalization guide. The questions were random. Everything went smooth and both of us passed. Pass means getting 6 questions correct out of 10. They will stop after the first 6 correct answers.

First they will ask you to swear to tell the truth with your right hand raised and then ask you to sit down. Then they do the civics knowledge, English, etc. Finally they go over every page of the application to see if anything changed since the application was mailed (like job, address, trips outside the country, etc.). FOr both of us the whole process took 10 minutes each. Both of us were interviewed by the same officer sequentially. She said we should get a letter about the oath ceremony soon and the ceremony should be within 4-6 weeks.

I will keep everyone updated when I receive the oath letter. Good luck to everyone - Chicagodesi, Chicagodoc, SamP, Bilent, etc.

Thanks.

RSV,

Congratulations and thanks for promptly posting your
detailed experience, that helps a lot :)

SamP

RSV,
Congrats on your recent accomplishment. Once quick question... what documents do you have to submit when you walked in... I mean tax , passports and all. Please let us know.
Thanks
CD

great !!!

Yes please tell us about documents asked.

Also a kind of stupid Q. Is there enough parking around or is it better to take cab?

Did you have any speeding ticket?

Friends,

I ahd tax returns, marriage certificate, etc. ready with me, but they only asked for the passports (old and new), GC, and driver's license. They did not ask for anything else.

We took a cab so did not check to see if there was parking around there. Just one comment - La Salle is blocked off just in front of the entrance. Looks like some construction is going on. There is pedestrian walkway going from Harrison to the entrace of the building.

I didn't have any tickets but she did ask if I was arrested or if I went to court for any reason. Thanks.

RSV,
Was there any concern during the application process about having changed jobs soon after getting the GC (Got approved close to a month ago and would very much like to accept some offers).

Ive read on some forums that one needs to wait for around 6 months before switching to avoid problems during citizenship, but nowhere in this forum have I seen a single post where somebody had problems because they switched jobs too soon after GC.

Any opinion from y'all would be highly appreciated.

I have no idea since I wasn't in this position. I was in the same job for four years after the GC was issued. Thanks.

RSV,

Any updates about the oath letter?
BTW, after the interview, did you get the letter marked
"Your application has been recommended for approval..."?

Chicagodesi,

Are you still reading this forum... would be nice if you could
share your exp.!

Thanks.

I just passed the interview in Chicago. Will post the experience under the other thread "N400 Chicago NSC". But the questions were from the 96 question list.

I have my passed my interview and it has been posted under "N400 Chicago NSC". I am waiting for Oath letter along wiht Bilent. Lets see how long that takes.
CD

Oath Letter

Received the oath letter. Oath is scheduled for March 9. Requested documents are GC, reentry permits, etc.

Thanks.