1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the complete name - what to do to make it a smooth process?

Discussion in 'Life After Citizenship' started by jefkorn, Mar 7, 2017.

  1. jefkorn

    jefkorn Registered Users (C)

    Naturalized citizen wants to change the full name (first and last names) due to personal reasons meaning not due to marriage although the new last name is same as the spouse's last name.

    What needs to be done so it goes smoothly?

    The US citizen has sponsored parents and siblings with the old name. Current US passport and Naturalization Cert bears the current name.

    I understand that the process has to start with the civil court at the state level. Once petition for name change is granted. One need to have the new name rippled through the system, here's what I'm thinking of needs to be updated:

    1. New Social Security Card with updated name
    2. New Driver's License
    3. New Naturalization Certifiate with new name?
    4. New US passport
    5. I-130's filed with the old name of the US citizen petitioner, should write a simple letter to USCIS with court order that petitioner's name has legally changed?

    What else am I missing?

    Thanks for your time and have a great day!
  2. jefkorn

    jefkorn Registered Users (C)

    Folks any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
  3. Pierre82

    Pierre82 Well-Known Member

    Hi Jefkron,

    I don't have any experience with this process but you might want to check this website for more ingfo http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Name

    Best of luck on your request

Share This Page