Change of Status (H4 to H1)

rpurush111

Registered Users (C)
I applied for my H1B petition and was approved in 2006 and I did not activate my H1B visa till date as I had my baby. I travelled to India in early 2008 and came back in Feb 2008 based on my H4 visa. Now I want to work, and I applied for my social security number (based on my approved H1B petition) and got it approved just 2 weeks ago. My question is: Is my current status H1B or H4? If my current status is H4, how can I change to H1B? Can I change my employer while I apply for my status change?

Your temporary status will be determined at the time of entry. So, in this case it is H-4. You can change to another non-immigrant status such as H-1B if your prospective employer files an appropriate petition.

Re

Hi Rpurush111,

I am also in same condition as u ....Can u pls let me when u went for H4 visa stamping in india in 2008 did u faced any prob....did they ask anything abt ur h1b application form ....
Pls help me , I am going for h4 visa stamping next month....

tc
Ankita
smiley_ankita@rediffmail.com

this may not be the answer to your queation but my situation is exactly like yours. and my H1B expiring in Sep 2008. I have SSN too.

I have applied for H1B in 2005 and got approved and it is valid from Jan 2006 to Sep 2008, but i didn't used this H1B (i.e not on any payroll)
due to health problems and i have changed my status to H4B in July 2006 through COS ( form I-539) after six months of H1B Approval.

currently am on H4B( entered into US on H4 in 2007 june) and my question is :

do i need to apply for change of status or H1B extension inorder to make use of H1B? change of status process may take 2-3 months time, by that time my H1B expires in Sep 08.

can i apply COS and h1B extension con-currently ? . am not sure what to apply , what not to apply ?

please help me.