Change of status from H4 to F1

Change of status from H4 to F1

• COS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H4 to F1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kdsreddy

I'm currently on H4 and am planning on changing to a F1 status. We consulted a few universities and they suggested that after I get an admission, I should get in touch with an attorney and file appropriate paper work to change my status from H4 to F1. Just wondering :

1) If anyone has gone through an attorney for this ?
2) How long does it take for change of status ?
3) If I'll need to go out of the country and come back once I change to F1 status.
4) If there are any chances of rejection .

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

My wife in a similar state. We went to India, got the visa stamped and came back. No problem. Visa stamping was a breeze

Can you please let me know the paperwork she had to file after receiving the I20 from the school. Did you take help of an attorney for this ?

Thanks
kdsreddy

No attorney help. We went like a regular F1 visa student and all those papers. She went alone. They knew she had a H4 visa. Rather they had a good discussion about how the VO was from the same place where we are from in US and how the VO misses the place sometimes. No problem at all.

If your wife is admitted to a good school and has good academic background, you shouldnt see any problems

In same boat - H4 to F1

Hello friends,

I need to change my wife's status from H4 to F1.

What i understand till now in order to switch H4 to F1...

1. Get admission to the college
2. Get I-20 from the college
3. Send I-20 along with I-539 (change of Status form) to INS with fee (of I-539)

Please correct me if i am wrong. Please share your experiences step by step.

I have couple of questions...

1. Which is faster, getting change of status done within US or go to india and get it stamped?
If we go for stamping, what docs we need?

2. Can we go to Mexico or canada for stamping?

3. In case, she don't get F1 is there any risk to H4?

4. whats the time they are taking currently to process such request? Can we track it?

5. You get F1 for how many years? After how long being on F1, you can work (i guess OPT?)

Your response is much appreciated !!!