Change of address.

abc13

Registered Users (C)
I work temporarily in a different city while keeping my homebase in another city. Even though its a temporary assignment I took an appartment in the city where I am working now. I travel back home on a weekly basis. Do I need to update the INS about my change of address?

Thanks
abc13

abc13 said:
I work temporarily in a different city while keeping my homebase in another city. Even though its a temporary assignment I took an appartment in the city where I am working now. I travel back home on a weekly basis. Do I need to update the INS about my change of address?

In your case probably not required. But I would do it anyway as that does not harm.

abc13 said:

Thanks
abc13

I may be in similar situation in near future. What about AR11 form. Does that need to be filed for the temporary relocation even though you are maintaining permanent address that is in file with DHS.

msstl said:
I may be in similar situation in near future. What about AR11 form. Does that need to be filed for the temporary relocation even though you are maintaining permanent address that is in file with DHS.

Normally you should file AR-11 whenever your are changing your physical address. You can have 10 homes across USA but your AR-11 address should be where you live physically - most of the times. There is an option of temporary address (and option to specify time), if you are relocating temporarily.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm#what

says...
You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

Since I maintain my permanant address, I do not need to report the pemporary address.

What Should I Include?
For the Form AR-11: Complete the information requested on the form, including present address, last address (most recent only), alien or registration number, country of citizenship, date of birth, and your signature.

You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

When sending us a change of address, you do not need to include numerous last addresses; only the most recent last address is needed.

Be sure to also indicate in the appropriate block on the AR-11 your current employment and school, where applicable.

Additional Information
The address reporting requirement should not be confused with renewal or replacement of lawful permanent resident cards (Form I-551) or replacement of other evidence of alien registration, such as the Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record; I-186, Nonresident Mexican Border Crossing Card; I-688, Temporary Resident Card; or, I-766, Employment Authorization Document.

Penalties for Failure to Comply
A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of the change is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, the alien (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of an alien’s stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize the alien’s ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

pralay said:
Normally you should file AR-11 whenever your are changing your physical address. You can have 10 homes across USA but your AR-11 address should be where you live physically - most of the times. There is an option of temporary address (and option to specify time), if you are relocating temporarily.

If you use temporary option in AR-11 and you move back to the permanent address, then you need to file AR-11 again or it is assumed that you moved back to the old address as the previous change was temporary.

Thanks

abc13 said:

Is this valid for DHS (AR-11) as well or just for USCIS purpose.

Another question, Once you receive the physical green card, do you still need to keep updating the address at USCIS. I believe you need to change address for all the applications pending at USCIS but once it is approved, do you still have to update.

msstl said:
If you use temporary option in AR-11 and you move back to the permanent address, then you need to file AR-11 again or it is assumed that you moved back to the old address as the previous change was temporary.

Thanks

I guess you don't need to file it again. Probably that's the way it was designed - just like postal address forwarding in temporary address.