Change from TN to H1

PLO

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on a 3-yr TN, and I decided to change it to an H1-B next week at a POE. Therefore, I would like to know if I can do it at a Canadian airport on my way back to the US, or I will have to do it at the border. What document(s) do I have to carry with me?

Also, suppose I returned to Canada for a few days after I obtained my H1-B instead of heading to my company immediately, will that get me in trouble?

Anyone can help me with my concerns? Thanks in advance.

Another question:
I still have the old I-94 before my most recent TN-extension (since I haven't left the US after my TN extension). TO who should I surrender it to - the Canadian officials or to the US on my way back to the US? Will if be very confusing to the CBPs if I presnt the old I-94, the new I-94 for the TN, together with my H1-B approval notice? I just can't imagine...

If your H1 approval notice had an I-94 attached, you are already in H1 status. if not, simply going to the border with the approval will get your a new I-94.

As to what you do with your I-94s, keep them all together, and when you enter US (at border or at airport when leaving Canada) and the CBP officer will take care of it.

You should keep a copy of all I-94s you get for your records.