Certificate of Citizenship for Minor

cjoshi_99

Registered Users (C)
How much time its takes to get certificate of citizenship for Minor?

Is there any way to track it?

If I have moved to India can it be taken from any American consulate in India?

How much time its takes to get certificate of citizenship for Minor?
Depends a lot on the local office. San Jose office takes up to a year as I am good proof of it. I have seen people getting it done earlier in San Jose. Some other offices have times of around six months or less. Hard to say and there are not many postings in this forum to estimate the time. You should check the local office for your U.S. address, which if you haven't moved since naturalization should be the same office that handled your naturalization.

Is there any way to track it?
Yes and no. Apparently there is a case number written on the check. That in my case (San Jose) starts with ALC, however I have tried that number and the system says it cannot find my case so I am not sure how trackable this is.
If I have moved to India can it be taken from any American consulate in India?
I don't know, but I would think that's not possible. N-600 are handled by local offices inside the U.S. I would say that if you have already moved to India the whole thing is going to be complicated, if you apply and then move there is a chance you can come back with the kid for the interview and hopefully succeed in getting the certificate, however it might get unnecessarily complicated by USCIS. I mean that in theory the kid naturalized automatically when you naturalized, but they still want to see proof of residence when you submit the N-600. Bottom line, things are much easier and straightforward if the kid lives in the U.S. One way or another there should be a solution because if the kid naturalized there has to be a way to obtain the certificate, either in the U.S. or in an embassy in India.

You can't get the certificate issued in US embassies and consulates abroad. USCIS has sole jurisdiction in issuing these certificates. Embassies and consulates have jurisdiction in issuing records of birth abroad (birth certificates) only and US passports. So technically the poster can apply for a US passport for his child - if he hasn't already done so - at the US embassy in India.

If you relocated to India, then you complicated the application process of the N-600 because now it becomes an N-600K application which is slightly different. They may reject the N-600 application and ask you to resubmit an N-600K with new filing fees.

N-600K Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 is specifically for a child who regularly resides abroad to claim U.S. citizenship based on parentage. And you will still have to apply to a USCIS office in the USA and appear for an interview with your child. There is no way around making a trip from India.

One more thing to note about the N-600K is that the instructions do not mention anything about the child being first admitted for permanent residency. I believe this assumes the parent was a US citizen at the time of birth. So, you may want to re-think the move to India and at least postpone until the N-600 application has been approved. In my opinion, the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 is a complicated piece of legislation and is open to interpretation.

Go here for more information on the N-600K http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Last edited by a moderator:
question: why does it cost almost $500 to get this certificate? how much work does the USCIS have to do to process this anyway? :(

question: why does it cost almost $500 to get this certificate? how much work does the USCIS have to do to process this anyway? :(
It's profit for them.

On a more serious note, I think it is $500 because there is a subset of cases that are VERY complex and expensive, involving appeals in court and/or intensive research by USCIS. The typical straightforward case where the parent is alive and has all papers available might cost them $100 to process. But then there are other cases where the US citizen parent is dead, or there is no clear evidence of a parental relationship, or some other complex scenario involving funny areas of the Child Citizenship Act, and those difficult cases cost them $4000 (for example). So they calculate an average and charge everybody $500.

Last edited by a moderator:
The child must travel to the US for N-600 (resident) or N-600K (non-resident). There is no way around the requirement to be physically present in the US for the interview & "oath" ceremony. (Its typically a modified form of the oath used for N-400 )