Case under additional review since April! Please come in here!

Godson77

Registered Users (C)
Guys, I have been lurking this forum for a while so I decided to join. I followed the Marlousj's case and I see how much you guys helped him.

So, here is my situation.

I applied December 10, 2008. Things moved fast and I went to my Interview on April 14, 2009. On the interview and the application, I checked yes for "Restred to vote" (Stupid mistake, I know). I have a clean record, paid all my taxes and never had any issues with the law. Now, my case is still under additional review. I have called several times and I even went to talk to a clerk at my local office. Still, no answer. :(

I am still waiting and I wanna cry because everytime I look at my wife waiting for this to earn her Bachelor's degree, I feel I let her down.

What Led to this issue? In 2004,on my way to class a man came to me and told me to register to vote. He said I can register to vote even if I am an alien. I did not pick yes for "Citizen" ( if I am right). I never voted. I discarded the card right after receiving it through the mail. The IO said he would look to see if I ever voted. The IO told me it would take about a month or so to get the letter if I never voted. :(I did this out of ignorance. Had I known how serious this was, I would tell him no.

Now, I regret it and I am losing sleep over this. I called to remove my name, they say I have to send a letter. Should I do that or hire an attorney?

I am broke now. Just graduated and you know jobs are hard to find. Let's not forget the loans :confused:

Why is it taking so long? I also forgot to mention I received a status update saying I should wait til December. If no answer, then I should call USCIS again. I am going crazy :(:(
May God help me!
Thank you for reading.

edit: I passed the test and everything already too. I am about to pass out if this goes beyond 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
So you registered to vote by mistake but never voted actually? If that is correct, then hire a good lawyer and take it from there. Some cases need expert help from a lawyer even though people might suggest something in this forum.

So you registered to vote by mistake but never voted actually? If that is correct, then hire a good lawyer and take it from there. Some cases need expert help from a lawyer even though people might suggest something in this forum.

I have called some lawyer. I asked them if they could help me get the process done quick. They ran around the question. Only one lawyer people say will help me for sure, but he is surely expensive:(

How is a lawyer going to help me? How fast can they get things done? I have done my interview since April

Now, I regret it and I am losing sleep over this. I called to remove my name, they say I have to send a letter. Should I do that or hire an attorney?

If you need to send a letter to remove your name then do that. keep the receipts! An attorney's advice is crucial in this matter. Why don't your PM maslouj for his lawyer's info? His was affordable.....

Good Luck.

I just completed it. SOme dates I forgot, but it's not showing up

edit: It's here

At the top of the forums page, you will see "Fortnightly Conference calls" - where you can post your situation, and then get to speak with Attorney Rajiv Khanna. Perhaps, it is worth his opinion? You can then enquire how much it would cost, and then go from there?

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen threads here were people who registered to vote (but erroneously) eventually were able to convince CIS of their intent.

#1. You do not indicate if you have had any conversations with CIS since the interview. If you notice, many people are calling CIS and checking what is going on? Sometimes you do not want to do it because your case is weak, and you do not want to hear the bad news. However, if you have not called them in the past 6 months, I say no harm in picking up the phone and talking to 1st level and then getting to the 2nd level. Sometimes files are stuck and a call here can un-jangle them.

[ Purely speculation ] See what is likely is that CIS has metrics for normal processing of files and someone monitors if a normal file is taking too long, but have not developed processes for abnormal cases where a 2nd or 3rd inquiry has completed but no one had the time to match it to a long-pending file. And since it is already marked as exception, no supervisor is checking on what's happening in this case.

Of course, the reality might be different and they may actually be working on it.

Still does not hurt to call once or twice.

#2. Given that it is your case, would you not be able to talk to state election authorities and get evidence of voting or not voting. In the eventuality of a denial, you have 30 days to contest, and it would be good to have your case ready on day 1. So if it takes you another month to get your files in order (records, lawyer's advice), take that time and then talk to CIS.

#3. An attorney who has dealt with exact same situation will be useful. Be prepared to shell out some real money. No attorney will guarantee it. Depending on your financial situation, you can decide to engage one if/when your case is denied ... because if they approve it you come out ahead. However, this will put time pressure on you, so whatever prep you can do on your own, do that now.

#4. Why can't your wife study if you have GC? Is she abroad?

#5. Regarding your mental situation, I believe it is best to look forward and plan the top 3-5 options you have (including approval). Rather than spending time pondering and thinking of past mistakes, start chalking out a detailed project plan for plan B (appeal) and C (appeal denial) ... I am not saying that these are likely.

I have seen threads here were people who registered to vote (but erroneously) eventually were able to convince CIS of their intent.

#1. You do not indicate if you have had any conversations with CIS since the interview. If you notice, many people are calling CIS and checking what is going on? Sometimes you do not want to do it because your case is weak, and you do not want to hear the bad news. However, if you have not called them in the past 6 months, I say no harm in picking up the phone and talking to 1st level and then getting to the 2nd level. Sometimes files are stuck and a call here can un-jangle them.

[ Purely speculation ] See what is likely is that CIS has metrics for normal processing of files and someone monitors if a normal file is taking too long, but have not developed processes for abnormal cases where a 2nd or 3rd inquiry has completed but no one had the time to match it to a long-pending file. And since it is already marked as exception, no supervisor is checking on what's happening in this case.

Of course, the reality might be different and they may actually be working on it.

Still does not hurt to call once or twice.

#2. Given that it is your case, would you not be able to talk to state election authorities and get evidence of voting or not voting. In the eventuality of a denial, you have 30 days to contest, and it would be good to have your case ready on day 1. So if it takes you another month to get your files in order (records, lawyer's advice), take that time and then talk to CIS.

#3. An attorney who has dealt with exact same situation will be useful. Be prepared to shell out some real money. No attorney will guarantee it. Depending on your financial situation, you can decide to engage one if/when your case is denied ... because if they approve it you come out ahead. However, this will put time pressure on you, so whatever prep you can do on your own, do that now.

#4. Why can't your wife study if you have GC? Is she abroad?

#5. Regarding your mental situation, I believe it is best to look forward and plan the top 3-5 options you have (including approval). Rather than spending time pondering and thinking of past mistakes, start chalking out a detailed project plan for plan B (appeal) and C (appeal denial) ... I am not saying that these are likely.

#1 I did call them several times. All I got was "wait, wait, and wait"

#2 I haven't done that. I will do so. I will also erase my name from the roll.

#3 I don't have much money now. I did call some. One said he is not sure, but I am deportable if they decide so. He said best thing is to get a lawyer ASAP.

#4 My wife is here. I went to people to get her a work permit, but they say things will not be done unless I am a citizen and it will take some time if I decide to apply.

#5 I am trying to do things. I have the officer's name. I will consider sending a letter after a lawyer looks at it. I am still waiting though

It's been more than 120 days since your interview, so you can file a 1447(b) lawsuit to force them to make a decision.

However, before you do that, make sure you have been deregistered from the voter's list, and get an official letter from the state to verify that your name is off the list and that you did not vote.

I would like to tell everyone that my case has been approved since March and I am now a US citizen.

YOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

couldn't find the site since they went through some changes. If you are in the same situation, ask me questions

you can file a service request after 60 days. that's what I did. then I started to get responses. they told me my file in under name check it may take up to years sometimes. after SR, I got the letter a week after. sometimes it is really useful to poke uscis. listen to this this will help you to change the way you look at it :

they are really weird. first time I went to infopass, the old lady told me I moved to Ohio and asked me like I was crazy what the hell I was doing in New York City office. I had cold sweats for a minute, scared the hell out of me that my identity was stolen and she was pretty sure that she was talking about me. then I got furious, everyone started to look at me. I requested a supervisor. she looked at the paper and apologized that infopass lady still had the information of the person before me.

Long story short, dont stop doing whatever it takes to move it along. push it nice and easy, most importantly keep your kool, and know when to lose it for right reasons..