Carrying US doller when entering from USA to Canada via Road

ani70

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am planning to move from Chicago to Toronto via rented car.I am a Canadian Landed immigrant working in USA for last two years and now moving back to Canada
I have couple of question regarding carrying US doller from USA to Canada via road
Q1: Is there any limit that I can carry with me.I know at POE I need to declare to Canadian Custom if I am carrying more than CDN$10,000 but do I need to give proof of my income or could there be any other issue?
Q2:At POE do I need to declare to US custom also if I carry more than US$10000 with me?Do I need to show US custom officials my proof of income?Do I need to pay any duty?
Q3:What should be the best way to carry doller?Traveller Check or Cashier Check??
Q4: POE officer phone number at Ambassader Bridge(Detroit & Windsor)
Initially I thought of transfering money via wire transfer from my US bank account to Canadain Bank account but as I don't have US doller account in my Canadian bank account I can't keep my money in US doller in my Canadian bank (I only came to know about this rule couple of days back).As exchange rate is now pretty low I don't want to convert USD into CDN$ right now so ruling out wire transfer option
Will appreciate your feedback

Carry all your monet by traveller cheques . They are safe

Report the money at immigration if it is more than $10000.

Open a US$ dolalr account in your cdn banka nd deposit all the money there and convert it to canadian when you think the exchange rate is good

THANK YOU BHAND

Bhand,
Could you please answer to my Q2
I mean to say that do I need to pay any tax to US custom if I carry more than USD 10,000 or do I need to show proof my income I mean paycheck,W2 etc??
Actually I don't want to face any trouble at POE that's why thinking of keeping money in US account and then transfer after I open a US doller account in Canadian bank
Thanks