Card received with wrong gender, now what?

zoe

Registered Users (C)
Hi there, after 21 months long wait of name check, I finally received my gc but with wrong gender. I'm going to file I-90 for replacement, but I have a few questions to be answered before I can do so.

1) should I try to get my passport stamped before sending out the card and I-90? I heard horrible stories about how long it took people to get the replacement (6 months to 1 year).

2) I filed my I485 to Dallas District Office, but received my physical green card from POBox 648005, Lees Summit, MO 64064, and my I-797 (485 approval nitice) is from POBox 648004, Lees Summit, MO 64064. Which address should I mail my I-90 to?

3) What supporting documents do I need to file along with the wrong card, besides copy of passport, DL, and Birth Certificate? Do I need to send a copy of my original I-485 form to show it wasn't my fault to get the gender wrong?

Sorry about so many questions, but after 21 months stuck in name check, I've got another bummer like this, really frustrated!

Thanks!

zoe:

The easiest thing to do is get a sex change.... Just kidding....

Here is what you can do:

1) should I try to get my passport stamped before sending out the card and I-90? I heard horrible stories about how long it took people to get the replacement (6 months to 1 year).

A: You cannot get your passport stamped if you have a green card and/or
you haven't filed I90. You will need to show I90 receipt in order to get a stamp on your passport for I551. You better apply for I90 if you want to
get the error fixed.

2) I filed my I485 to Dallas District Office, but received my physical green card from POBox 648005, Lees Summit, MO 64064, and my I-797 (485 approval nitice) is from POBox 648004, Lees Summit, MO 64064. Which address should I mail my I-90 to?

A: It doesn't matter from where your GC came, where you filed I485 and
where you filed your I797. Whatever the address you see on form I90 for respective processing centers (in your case it is TSC as you filed I485 in TSC so look for address pertaining to TSC) you will need to send I90 with proper
documents.

3) What supporting documents do I need to file along with the wrong card, besides copy of passport, DL, and Birth Certificate? Do I need to send a copy of my original I-485 form to show it wasn't my fault to get the gender wrong?

You will need to send:

-Completed I90 form
-Copy of your passport (all pages, clearly visible)
-Copy of your I485 approval notice
-Your original greencard
-Copy of your DL
and
-A nice covering letter mentioning why you are applying for I90.

Make sure to check option D when filing for I90 so you don't have to pay
for the processing fee.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

reply to howdy_howdy

Thanks Howdy_howdy for your reply. I thought about sex change, it will definitely be quicker, but a lot more expensive, so I decide to go the cheaper route :)

After reading your reply, new questions have emerged:

1) You said I need i-90 receipt to get my passport stamped, but based on my research of old postings in this forum, if one files I-90 D there is no receipt for him, then how can I get the stamp?

2) On I-90 form, there is special instruction as where to file it for those who choose option D - INS administrative error, it reads: "To find the service center or NBC mailing address, refer to the USCIS letter that came with your form I-551 permannent resident card, also known as the "Green Card". The letter lists the address of the service center or NBC that processed your previously filed form I-485, I-751 or I-90 application. " In my case the address on the letter that came with my card is MSC at Lee's Summit. Plus, my attorney told me before that Dallas District Office is different than TSC, so I really don't think TSC is the place to send my I-90.

3) About the cover letter, did you know where I can find a sample?

Again I have many questions, hope you don't mind...

Still the sex change would be a viable option because, the waiting time for
the option you want to take is time consuming :D

Never mind my humor!!!!

On the reference I made about the address, I remember seeing many
addresses, each one for specific processing centers (my wife did I90
since her GC did not arrive in mail). I checked I90 form this afternoon after
responding to you and seems like there are two addresses.. I am copying and
pasting for your reference:

Where to file if you are filing for any reason shown above: If you are filing for any of the reasons noted above, please mail your completed Form I-90 and appropriate fees directly to the following address:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 54870
Los Angeles, CA 90054-0870

For non-U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g., Federal Express, UPS or DHL):
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attention: I-90
16420 Valley View Avenue
La Mirada, CA 90638

So, send it accordingly.

On the covering letter, you may type a letter like this:

From

Your name
Address
Alien A#:
SSN #:

To

<address where you are sending this form>

Dear Sir/Madam:

Re: Administrative error in my Green Card - My gender wrongly mentioned
in the Green Card.

My gender has been wrongly mentioned in the Green Card. The correct
gender should be MALE.

Please correct your files and send me the corrected Green Card. I am attaching following for your reference and verification:

<You can mention copies of stuff that you are sending; like copies of
I485 approval notice, passport (all pages), SSN card and DL>

Print your name and sign it.

Keep copies of all the stuff that you are sending to USCIS, for your future reference.

Remember, as soon as you get the receipt for I90, go fix an InfoPass appt
with your local Service Center and get a stamp on your passport as you
need it in case you need to travel out of the US for emergency purposes.

And most importantly all, pray God that your application gets approved soon and you get the GC in the mail soon.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Howdy, after reading your reply, I went back to the I-90 form I downloaded, and read the "Where to file" section again, I think those two addresses are for those who choose reasons other than D, because the sentence reads "please mail your completed Form I-90 and appropriate fees...", whereas option D doesn't require fee. If you go back up a little to page one, toward the lower half of the column on the right, there is a section dedicated to "Replacing a Card that was issued with incorrect data on account of USCIS error", under that title, there is a paragraph that talks about where to file (I quoted it in my previous posting). What do you think?

I hate INS forms because they always make things obscure.

You know zoe, you are right... It IS confusing..

I would suggest you to talk to someone at the National Customer Service
Center.

But, I am sure that you don't have to pay fees to get the card replaced
as it was due to USCIS' mistake.

Why don't you try online application. May be it will give you more information
than what we are seeing on I-90 form from USCIS website?

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

It says on USCIS website very clearly that for card replacement due to USCIS administrative error (option D), we are not eligilble to file online.

I've made an Infopass appointment with local office on Monday, hopefully they'll answer my questions. If not, I'll just have to file I-90 and wait.

Thanks for the sample letter, it'll save me a lot of time :)

Barbara, I saw your posting, I'm glad they gave you one year stamp, you were lucky to have a nice officer. I've set up an Infopass on Monday, trying to get my passport stamped too. Will see how it goes!

Barbara, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) On the letter that came with my green card, the top portion says "use this section to speed your application for an extension or replacement card", on the back it says "when you file for another card, we recommend you attach the top tear-off portion to your completed application."

Did you tear the top portion off and attach it to your I-90 application?

2) My approval notice is from National Benefit Center, my green card is from Missouri Service Center, which address should I send my I-90 to? You mentioned in your posting that you sent your I-90 to NBC, is that also where you received your gc?

Thanks!

Barbara, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) On the letter that came with my green card, the top portion says "use this section to speed your application for an extension or replacement card", on the back it says "when you file for another card, we recommend you attach the top tear-off portion to your completed application."

Did you tear the top portion off and attach it to your I-90 application?

2) My approval notice is from National Benefit Center, my green card is from Missouri Service Center, which address should I send my I-90 to? You mentioned in your posting that you sent your I-90 to NBC, is that also where you received your gc?

Thanks!

Zoe,

I sent mine back to Missouri Service Center. I attached the whole mailer and green card (pretty much) sent it back as it came. I did make a photocopy for my records. If you read the instructions for I-90, they tell you which address to put for option D (I also wrote attention I-90D on the envelope). The cover letter pretty much just said, I'm filing this I-90 form option D because the gender is wrong. Attached find the green card and supporting information (birth certificate and photocopy of passport). And that was it.

I mailed using priority mail with delivery confirmation, but didn't get any receipt number or anything from USCIS. The LUDs (~ 6 weeks after this mailing) was on my original I-485 receipt number and the green card came soon after.

HOpe this helps.

Annabor, thanks so much for your reply. I'll send out my I-90 today.

Also, were your 485 application family-based or employment-based? sb pointed out employment-based takes longer to get the new card, I was just curious...

Zoe,

did you get your passport stamped before you sent I-90D? If yes, for how long is valid?

Thank you.

Annabor, thanks so much for your reply. I'll send out my I-90 today.

Also, were your 485 application family-based or employment-based? sb pointed out employment-based takes longer to get the new card, I was just curious...

unfortunatley no. local office refused to stamp my passport saying they'll do so after I get my receipt. said it'll take 2-3 weeks to get the receipt dispite me explaining to them that i might not get a receipt at all for reason D.

I sent out my application for replacement on April 2 and got the returned postal receipt which proves INS did receive it. but I haven't got any receipt from INS.

The stupid local office clerk was rude and gives out wrong info. Can't believe why INS allows this to happen.

unfortunatley no. local office refused to stamp my passport saying they'll do so after I get my receipt. said it'll take 2-3 weeks to get the receipt dispite me explaining to them that i might not get a receipt at all for reason D.

I sent out my application for replacement on April 2 and got the returned postal receipt which proves INS did receive it. but I haven't got any receipt from INS.

The stupid local office clerk was rude and gives out wrong info. Can't believe why INS allows this to happen.

Zoe, thank you for the info. Please keep us updated. However, I am not surprized at all that USCIS has very unprofessional stuff. First at all, the Customer Services does not know what they are talking about, second at all - due to their clerical mistakes a lot of people have to suffer. In my case, I have a date of residency on my GC different from the approval date. I called USCIS today and one person told me that it's not a problem at all, another person told me that there is an error and I should send I90D for replacement. In addition, she said that it will take at least 6 months to receive a new card. So, I am not sure whether I should send away my card without having at least a stamp in my passport or whether I should do it at all since all my personal data are correct.

By the way, what District Office did you go? Thanks.

Surprising enough, today I received a letter from Lee's Summit which is where I sent my I90D to, it says they've received my application and I should receive the new card within 2-3 weeks.

It's not a standard receipt, it's still using my old 485 receipt number, but that 2-3 weeks timeline does look encouraging. We'll see if I would actually get it then. Fingers crossed.

I went to Dallas District Office by the way. And the woman at the window even told me to send my I-90 to the lockbox in L.A. which is obviously wrong. Luckly I came to this forum and got help from ppl here who's been through the same situation, and decided to send my form to NBC. Can't believe they can give out wrong information like that even when I pointed to her the paragraph that talks about why I90D shouldn't use the L.A. lockbox address.

New Update:

Today I just got an email from INS saying On May 7 a new card has been ordered for me, and it'll take up to 30 days for me to receive. It's under the same receipt number of my 485.

New update:

Today I receive the new card and fortunately all information is correct on it this time.

I sent out my I90D on April 2 so it took me about 6 weeks to get the replacement. I'm quite surprised at how fast they move this time. Thanks very much for people in this forum who gave me helpful information. If any of you need help about this matter (I hope not :) please send me a private message, I'd be glad to help out.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for this thread. I just had a similar situation. After waiting for name check to be cleared, I received the card with an extra middle name.

The extra middle name appeared on the interview notice. At the interview, I told IO that the name is incorrect. He said not to worry because it would be corrected. Of course it wasn't the case.

Perhaps I got stuck with the name check because of this middle name which doesn't belong to me at all.

I filed I-90 with D option. Hopefully I will get this solved soon.

Also, I made an InfoPass appointment last week for the stamp but was refused. I was told that I would need I-90 receipt to get the stamp.

Like others have said, it was rude and unprofessional. It was not my mistake at all.