Car rental refused

bhand11683

Registered Users (C)
Just for info

I have a BC Drivers license and work in Seattle for 2 days a week . I car pooled with a friend to seattle last week .I wanted to rent a car for a week from seattle to go back to BC and then return it back in seattle (my office was paying for it ) . Enterprise and budget refused to rent me car becuase I have a BC (read canadian ) license to go to Canada . hey said I could rent it as long as I do not cross the border .

The reason they told me is that the US customs would not allow a US registered car with a canadian DL license into US . No idea why ? . When I asked them the 2nd time they asked me to call
the US customs ..

Any Ideas on this

Check with Hertz

Hi Bhand,
I am also planning to visit Toronto from Chicago next week via one way rental car from Hertz
I have a US DL but the way the lady from HERTZ explained me is that if any Candian PR /Citizen rent a car in USA for more than 24 hrs he/she needs to exchange the card at the HERTZ rental centre close to the border so when you will be in canada you'll be in Hertz Canada car and in USA in Hertz USA car but will be under same rental agreement
Thanks

Thanks ani70

I was getting a 1 way rental but not a 2 way - (return at the same location where I rented from the US) . I will call hertz and find out if theyhave anything better than Enterprise and Budget ..

Hertz should give u 2 way rental

Hi Bhand,
Today evening I completed reservation for one way rental from Hertz picking up from Chicago and dropping at Pearson Airport within 24 hours
For your case as you are renting for more than 24 hours you need to exchange your car at border twice(Once during entering Canada and once during entering USA).You shouldn't have any problem in 2 way renting as long as you are exchanging the car at border
Let me know if u need any more info
Thanks

Guys/Safdar,

I am planning the cross the border using Tunnel Bus( planning to land). Can I get rental car in Windsor Airport? I am having michigan Driver License...will they give? planning to stay in toronto for couple of days....