Cancelling Indian passport

wilaborgc

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,
What does cancelling indian passport mean? Do they punch a hole in the passport or do they just stamp the first page?
I have some visas on my Indian passport which I need to retain.
I have not yet applied for OCI and would like to apply soon.
Thanks in advance for any advise

wilaborgc said:
Hi there,
What does cancelling indian passport mean? Do they punch a hole in the passport or do they just stamp the first page?

They will stamp your passport, the first few pages and the last 2 pages with "cancelled without prejudice" (and possibly cut one corner of the front cover) and will be returned to you. I do not think the visas in your Indian passport are valid anymore (since you are not an Indian citizen, the moment you take up another citizenship; and visas are obtained by you as an Indian citizen).

wilaborgc said:
Hi there,

I just did that last week. The first 2-3 pages as well as the last 2-3 pages
are marked "Passport cancelled as ???? acquired U.S. citizenship"

They didn't cut any part of the passport as far as I can notice..It took
only 3 days for cancelling the passport at the SF consulate.

Did not get Passport back yet

I sent my Indian passport on May 1st to GCNY for cancellation after my oath ceremony and it has not been returned back yet. Does anyone know how long does it normally take for this procedure from the newyork consulate?. I am waiting for that to apply for my OCI card. Thanks for any input

I sent along with OCI

I called them before applying for OCI and they said I could send the Indian passports for cancellation along with my OCI. But, last time when they returned my family's OCIs, they sent our Indian passports back without cancellation. I sent them again along with my US passport for OCI but they kept the Indian passports. Not sure how to get them back.

I am feeling jealous of the people living close to the Indian consulates. Lot of frustration that I am going through could have been avoided if I could just visit the consulate every time and get the work done first hand.

do you need to send your passport?

Your indian citizenship got cancelled or when you naturalize as a US citizen - passport is no longer valid, I understand it is the property of GOI but do you have to send it and have it officially cancelled? Whay does it matter as long as you don;t use it anymore.

rk

rogerkint said:
Your indian citizenship got cancelled or when you naturalize as a US citizen - passport is no longer valid, I understand it is the property of GOI but do you have to send it and have it officially cancelled? Whay does it matter as long as you don;t use it anymore.

rk

Though the Indian passport is not valid, its is the best proof that I was Indian Citizen before becoming US Citizen. I think a copy of the cancelled passport will be needed in future when my kids and grand kids ( :cool: ) apply for OCI.