• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Canadian Resident

besho

Registered Users (C)
I am 2010 winner from Asia region.

I am a Canadian resident, currently living outside Canada. I have SIN (SSN) and a mailing address in Canada.
My family members do not have any status in Canada. However, there were refused visitor visa to Canada (dual intend)

Do you think this could pose any difficulty during my interview?

Thank you for your feedback.

I think you need to ask an immigration lawyer since this is a very special case and more background things might be needed to know before any one can answer that question...

I am 2010 winner from Asia region.

I am a Canadian resident, currently living outside Canada. I have SIN (SSN) and a mailing address in Canada.
My family members do not have any status in Canada. However, there were refused visitor visa to Canada (dual intend)

Do you think this could pose any difficulty during my interview?

Thank you for your feedback.

Don't believe so. Your interview will focus on you and your family members with regard to your eligibility to become US permanent residents. As long as you have the right documents, no criminal record, no health issues then that is all that should matter.
Also, it is Canadian visas that they had problems. I doubt the US authorities are bothered about your issues with another country - but if asked, do not hide this information as it could always be shared and you will get caught out.
In many of the other threads, the advice offered is simple - answer only what you are asked, but of course, be honest.
Good luck :)

Thank you for your answers…

I am starting to worry now.. I thought the default answer would be that there is no problem as long as criminal, education and funds criteria are fulfilled!

All of my papers are complete..

The rejections were due to dual intent and not fulfilling residency/visa requirements.

Do you think that they will ask me to give up my Canadian Residency Card? I don’t think it is good to do so before actually obtaining the GC?

HI Besho,
I am a canadian resident and from asia myself. I'm pretty certain there's nothing for you to worry about.
I believe the reason your family was refused visa (tourist visa, i assume) was because a lot of people who hold PR status in canada try to get their family memebers into canada under tourist visa and then try to sponsor them for PR. That's why it's hard to get tourist visa for canada when they know the applicants have family memebers who are already PRs. They want to see that your family have a lot of ties (mostly financial) in their own country so they won't have any reason to try to remain in canada and eventually obtain PR.
Now that you've won the DV lottery, you and your family are being considered for immigration to the u.s., which is entirely different, and totally unrelated to their canada visa application. So i don't think it'll be factored in at all.
Of course, if they were to simply apply for tourist visa for the u.s. it might prove a little difficult cause one of the questions on the u.s. tourist visa application is "have you ever been refused visa by any country?".

Being a canadian PR yourself doesn't preclude you from getting permanent resident status for any other countries either. So you have nothing to worry about for your dv case. I have a friend who is now a canadian citizen and she just got her us green card a year ago. She's holding both and goes back and forth.

Congrats on your win and hope your interview goes smoothly!!!

:)

HI Besho,
I am a canadian resident and from asia myself. I'm pretty certain there's nothing for you to worry about.
I believe the reason your family was refused visa (tourist visa, i assume) was because a lot of people who hold PR status in canada try to get their family memebers into canada under tourist visa and then try to sponsor them for PR. That's why it's hard to get tourist visa for canada when they know the applicants have family memebers who are already PRs. They want to see that your family have a lot of ties (mostly financial) in their own country so they won't have any reason to try to remain in canada and eventually obtain PR.
Now that you've won the DV lottery, you and your family are being considered for immigration to the u.s., which is entirely different, and totally unrelated to their canada visa application. So i don't think it'll be factored in at all.
Of course, if they were to simply apply for tourist visa for the u.s. it might prove a little difficult cause one of the questions on the u.s. tourist visa application is "have you ever been refused visa by any country?".

Being a canadian PR yourself doesn't preclude you from getting permanent resident status for any other countries either. So you have nothing to worry about for your dv case. I have a friend who is now a canadian citizen and she just got her us green card a year ago. She's holding both and goes back and forth.

Congrats on your win and hope your interview goes smoothly!!!

:)

Good post, one thing i know bentlebee for is to always course confusion/tension and complicate issues for people. Just move on if you don't have anything to contribute and stop panicking people.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to be consulting any expensive lawyer as bentlebee suggested. It's awful advice and it makes no sense at all. Do not listen to this so called expert.

If your police records are clean there is nothing to worry about. You are trying to get into the US legally, and that's what their focus is on.

Have a good interview, no doubt it will be!

Edit: I just got that it's your family who's out of status in Canada but that you are a legal resident of Canada living abroad. Even less to worry about, this is really in no way harmful to your case.

Thanks my friends for your positive replies...

I really hope to live in U.S.A with my family and meet good friends like you.

Best of luck to you

Thanks my friends for your positive replies...

I really hope to live in U.S.A with my family and meet good friends like you.

Best of luck to you

besho,

Please go ahead with you process and i wish you and family success in your interview. USA is a wonderful place to live --- go and enjoy life to the fullest expecially your children.

One love

You don't need to be consulting any expensive lawyer as bentlebee suggested. It's awful advice and it makes no sense at all. Do not listen to this so called expert.

If your police records are clean there is nothing to worry about. You are trying to get into the US legally, and that's what their focus is on.

Have a good interview, no doubt it will be!

Edit: I just got that it's your family who's out of status in Canada but that you are a legal resident of Canada living abroad. Even less to worry about, this is really in no way harmful to your case.

The owner of this forum/website is a lawyer and I guess he will be thrilled by your advise on this forum...how can advising any one to have a consult with an immigration lawyer be bad advise...and by the way lawyers are not all about money. They do give a one time short free consult to determine if a person need more legal advise or not!

Ah, so everything YOU don't know is automatically a case for a lawyer?

Difference being is that my advice is backed by several other people. You're a bad sport.

I guess it makes you feel good to attack me over every post...keep doing it if that makes you feel better...haha...but to me it is very childesh and not helpful or contributing anything.

I think there is very little that any lawyer can do for us now. I will have the Canadian refusal letter with me just in case to show (if asked) that the reason behind it is related to 'intend to immigrate with PR spouse.'

How do I contact Mr. Rajiv Khanna to see if I need to assign my case to immigration lawyer? (I found out that most lawyers do not have good knowledge or experience about DV immigration in out-of-USA consulates, or just don't like to take cases outside)
Would it be possible to appeal the decision of the consulate afterward (if needed), rather than assigning immigration lawyer from now?

bentlebee, I see that you are detailing your friends case in your signature. Do you or your friend work in KCC or related agency or are you a lawyer? Why isn't your friend participating in this forum directly?

I guess it makes you feel good to attack me over every post...keep doing it if that makes you feel better...haha...but to me it is very childesh and not helpful or contributing anything.

Yep, I love attacking you because you're such a self absorbed moron. Sue me.

Maybe you should consult a lawyer for that.

Good post, one thing i know bentlebee for is to always course confusion/tension and complicate issues for people. Just move on if you don't have anything to contribute and stop panicking people.

joequi agree!

Yep, I love attacking you because you're such a self absorbed moron. Sue me.

Maybe you should consult a lawyer for that.

hahaha

isn't it true that they were just refused a visitors entry and so they are just refused to enter the country but not that they really tried staying in canada?
if so, no harm at all, and you have clear intentions of showing whatever they ask for (I am sure you wont need it) and as long as your file is complete and with (more than) all criteria you are gonna be successful

good luck!

I have just finished reading ACT212 detailing reasons for INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION, and I couldn't find anything related to being refused visa or immigration from another country.
Do you know of any other ACT or law that I should go through?

I think there is very little that any lawyer can do for us now. I will have the Canadian refusal letter with me just in case to show (if asked) that the reason behind it is related to 'intend to immigrate with PR spouse.'

How do I contact Mr. Rajiv Khanna to see if I need to assign my case to immigration lawyer? (I found out that most lawyers do not have good knowledge or experience about DV immigration in out-of-USA consulates, or just don't like to take cases outside)
Would it be possible to appeal the decision of the consulate afterward (if needed), rather than assigning immigration lawyer from now?

bentlebee, I see that you are detailing your friends case in your signature. Do you or your friend work in KCC or related agency or are you a lawyer? Why isn't your friend participating in this forum directly?

My friend is a full time College student and athlete and has very little time since she also has an internship. I did her case myself with help from this forum and a little help from a immigration lawyer we had used in the past. He helped us to get started and gave advise to do AOS instead of CP since her case is a little different due to her visa not being a visa that is very common and she is already in this country for more then half her life.

I'm not a lawyer and neither am I working in the immigration field. I own a business and work with many foreigners as well as with American's and have heard many immigration issues from close by and came here my self on a visa and went through many renewals and different scenario's.

I know some very good immigration lawyers and have recommended some of them to others and all had positive results since the lawyers are very honest in their first call/meeting about what the chances are.

Both told me that in many visa cases the country where the person comes from can make a huge difference since some Consulates are easier to work with then others.

You can always contact the owner of this forum for advise or PM me if you need a good honest lawyer and I never give out my name so don't think I'm getting referal fees which as far as I know is not even allowed for a lawyer to do...:)

and don't forget to mention you know all people who ever applied for a SSN :):):)

How childesh!....I know that all people I know, and many of them are foreigners since US citizens have a way easier way to get a SSN card since at birth they have a SSN # just as I had in my country....but you rather make it out to be a huge issue so you can trash me...haha

All the foreigners I know had to go in person for the first time and before they could change things easily by mail...until 9/11 and afterwards the regulations kept changing, but I guess that was way before you ever were in the US and you have no clue what has changed!

hahaha I just read my docs which clearly state it, stop making people confused as to what they read in their official papers, you make this process much more complicated to people who think you can be trusted or know "everything" all the time (you run into much debate here, see the reason why)
and all those stories, and stop implying/suggesting you know things