Canadian Needing Some Help

Canuckgirl

Registered Users (C)
PLEASEEEEE ...Canadian Needs Help!!!

Good Evening to All,

I am totally new to this forum and the immigration process and I would am hoping to find someone who can offer some assistance, or someone who has been through the same things as I. I met my now husband in the US in July 2005. Long story short, we have both travelled between Canada and the USA since July 2005. We had never really talked of marriage due to the fact we wanted to make sure this was what we both wanted. My last date of entry into the USA was August 2006. In September I found out I was 1.5 months pregnant and at the end of October we got married. At this point in our relationship we were both sure we wanted to be together forever, however morally we decided marriage was the best thing.

I claim to be a smart person, but after we got married, I found out all these forms and papers we were supposed to/should have filed before and after our wedding. I guess I was a bit naive. We have applied for the I-130 petition for alien spouse and received confirmation this application was received. My understanding is I have to maintain my non-immgrant status. I entered without a visa, as Canadians do not need one to travel to the USA for a maximum of 6 months. I have applied to extend my visitor status and also applied for an I-94 record as I was not given one when I crossed the border.

Basically at this point I am totally confused. Some people say I should be applying for the K3 spousal visa, however the research I have done alludes to the fact that I can't apply for the K3 being that I'm already here. Then some people say that I should be submitting a "change of status.." or "adjustment of status". Can anyone help me? Has anyone been through this route before?

What do I do if my extension is not approved before my stay is up, eventhough I did things right on my end and applied for the extension well before 45 days of my stay being up. If I file for the I-485 and its pending am I allowed to stay while everything is being processed? Being I didn't need a visa to enter the US, am I eligible to adjust status?? I am feeling very overwhelmed and scared by all this. My intentions have been innocent through this whole thing and my husband and I were just trying to do what is best for us and our unborn son. The last thing I want to do is get sent back to Canada and tear our family apart. Any advice or assistance would be MUCH appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you are aware

Not that anyone has responded to my post but I thought I'd provide some information for anyone that was reading this. I have hired a lawyer and we sees no problem with my situation. Good luck to all!