Canadian married to American - Green Card Sponsorship possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paheli

In April 2007, my father, a Canadian citizen (and a resident of Canada), married an American citizen in Las Vegas. After the marriage ceremony, my father left Vegas and went back home to Canada. After a few months, my new step mother moved to Canada. She now lives with me and my father.

My father and I have decided that it would be beneficial for him and I to get a green card. I would like to live in the USA sometime in the future, and maybe my father will retire there in about 20 years. However, we have no plans to move to the USA soon (nor does my step mother have plans to move back yet).

I am currently 19 years old, and I understand that I can only be sponsored until I reach the age of 21?

My father and I would like my step mother to sponsor us so we can get a green card. Is this possible, even though we don't plan to leave Canada in the near future? Is it possible for me to get a green card?

However, we have no plans to move to the USA soon (nor does my step mother have plans to move back yet).

Green Cards are only issued to people who intend to live in the States. When your father intends to live in the US, then his wife can sponsor him.

I am currently 19 years old, and I understand that I can only be sponsored until I reach the age of 21?

Did they get married before your eighteenth birthday? If not, then no.

My father and I would like my step mother to sponsor us so we can get a green card. Is this possible, even though we don't plan to leave Canada in the near future? Is it possible for me to get a green card?

No, and maybe not, depending on when the marriage took place.

U.S. green card for Canadian

Your step-mother can sponsor your father and he would be eligible for a green card since he is an immediate family member. You may also be eligible to be sponsored by your step-mother provided that she adopted you as her son. Since you don't plan to move to the US anytime soon, you could consider having your step-mom apply for a green card for your father first. Once he becomes a permanent resident or even a citizen, he can then sponsor you for a green card. The wait time for you will be long, but it seems that you are in no rush.

Cedric Shen
www.maxlawinc.com

Did they get married before your eighteenth birthday? If not, then no.
The OP is 19 now, and they got married in 2007. That's before the OP's 18th birthday, according to my math. :)

Your stepmother can petition for you whether you're under 21 or older, but if the process is initiated after you're 21 it will take years longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.