canadian citizenship first

Bidu

Registered Users (C)
Could we apply just after completing 1095 +30 days.
I have been commuting daily to US on h1b and never stayed in US always returned back.

if I return to US after completing 1095+30 days, are we ( I and family) still eligible for citizenship..
How to delay American GC 485 filing. copuld I altogether stop processing ( I-140 approved ) and work till my h1b expires. Later once I get canadain citizenship, could I then try filing I485 or get a new TN visa and resume the rest of the process at US side..Will my PD remain current after few yesrs.
Please suggest... PD is current now and created problem for me all of a sudden.
I moved to canada year back ( at that time it appeared every thing will take years). Now I want to achieve canadian Citizenship first ( because I have many relatives in CA)and later get done GC slowly ...
Please suggest as much ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Commuting daily to US is not a problem in terms of getting Cdn citizenship, as your days are still counting.

Also, all you have to do is be in status on the day you file I-485 for it to continue processing (you only need toi be physically present, and you would be in H1 status, as you are every day). The fact you have H1 also protects you when crossing the border: you do not need AP and EAD.

Even if you do not want to file I-485 right now (and I see no reason why you should not), you should still let the I-140 procesing continue. That wy your h1 will never expire, as you can get 1 year or even 3 year extensions if I-140 is approved.

Your I-485 won't ba approved soon, so there is no worry taht you will need to move to US any time soon.

Now, when it does come time to apply for Cdn citizenship, there *may* be a requirement to live in canada during processing, but not once you formally get citizenship.

Now, when it does come time to apply for Cdn citizenship, there *may* be a requirement to live in canada during processing, but not once you formally get citizenship.

You do not have to be present in Canada once you apply for cdn citizenship (after meeting all the requirements for the citizenship). You can leave after applying - all they say is that your PR status should be valid till the date you get your citizenship. (Unlike UK/Aus/NZ citizenship, where you have to have an intent to live in the country till you get your citizenship and therefore you cannot leave the country after applying for the citizenship).

Thanks Nelsona and BigBoy00
I will try to delay atleast 10 months the filing of I -485 to be on safe side.
But will filing of I-485 not depend upon availibility of VIsa # at that time?

How I will leave canada for GC after filing ciitzenship?
as I will be still having canadian GC and 2 GCs are not good- I heard.
Thanks a ton!

In my opinion you would be crazy not to file your I-485 now, while you have the chance. All you need to do is stay in US for the week you file, that is all.

Having a filed I-485 is so much better than not, as it allows you flexibility in sponsorship which you will not have if you don't file. You would also get EAD/AP just in case you ever lose your job.

Cjances are your GC will take a year if you file now, but it will take MUCH longer if you wait, believe me, in the meantime all sorts of thing can happen.

It is easy to get and maintain a Cdn PR card, much easier than getting and maintaining a GC, so do what you can to get GC -- the PR and Cdn citizenship will take care of itself.

Nelsona,
Thanks again!

having less knowledge makes me nervous about maintaining two green cards canadian as well as american for a while... after an year or so..

Sorry for more questions:
Do I have to stay for a week in US for filing I-485?
I am already commuting daily... Will I have to ask my family members too to stay in USA?

Can I commute daily on AP after getting EAD.. and how long..
Will I get AP renewals easily till I complete 3 years stay at Canada.
At what point of time att POE, officers can ask me and catch me due to 2 G.C? How I will manage that..
Please note I want to stay at canada, but there is no jobs there...
Most posts suggest to get canadian citizenship first then apply for GC.
Will staying 1095 +30 days ensure that I will get candian citizenship?
Can I claim at border athat I have applied for canadain citizenship? will that have any worth?

Thanks a lot!

You don't have to stay a full week, but you should be in the country from the time you file until you know they have received it. With Priority mail that could be one or two nights.

As to AP and EAD, I would stick with my H1 if I were you, since this doesn't expire. Remember that without an H or an AP, you risk cancellation of your I-485 if you leave US, and APs are notoriously late in being renewed.

As to maintaining GC and PR. PR doesn't require living in Canada (only 2 of 5 years), so your concern will be when you get GC. But this won't be for a long time yet, so you probably will have citizenship by then.

Listen to nelsona and the rest of us. GET THAT GREEN CARD PROCESSED. You have no idea of what you are giving up by delaying things. Think of it this way. You say for now that you want to live in Canada but work in the U.S. Let's flash forward five years and you hesitated on the I-485. Let's say your H1 was finished and you don't have your U.S. green card. As you stated there are no jobs in Canada for what you do and but now you're stuck there. Now what?
You have gold in your hands - don't let it slip away.

sorry for changing topic, but are there really no jobs in canada. I really want to move there...but this is scary. I see many ads for IT. I am a Unix administrator? How is the market for IT people. Please share

You really want to lave the US? Your handle shows you in Florida. Just try looking at other parts of the US.

no that is my brother-in-law id. I am from India. I have worked for major companies (accenture, Hewlett Packard, Pronto networks and Elite core technologies in india). My wife is canadian and i am planning to move to Canada. But this is very scary if i cannot find work in Canada.

Go search for "Unix Administrator" on http://www.monster.ca I think you'll be suprised at how many hits you get for these positions. I counted 10 "pure" Unix Admin positions on the first page when I ran a search.
Most all of them I saw are in the Ottawa/Toronto area but it's not like there are a very few of these open in Canada.
Just remember it's very different from the US. 10 yr house mortagages, taxes up the wahzoo, generally higher cost of living overall than the US.