Canadian citizen with both TN & Approved h1 petition i797b

bigben3

Hi All,

I recently acquired canadian citizenship and planning to enter usa on work visa.

I just wanted to know which visa status would be better to enter.. I have am approved h1 i797 petition which is valid till Dec 2019.

Now my question is if I enter usa on Tn visa. .cam I later convert to h1? Do I have to convert before Dec 2019 or can I do it within 6 years?

Would be grateful for your help. I

JUst to clarify, you already have a TN and entered US with it already? In that case, your status should be TN already (check CBP records) Renewing TN is straight fwd and you can technically renew as many times as you want (as opposed to H1 which has a 6-yr limit). Given this, it might be better to go with tn

Last edited:
He already has H1, not TN. If we are talking about the same sponsor, then if he wishes to convert to H1, this would only be to save H1 clock time later, which is if the sponsor is willing. They would need to inform the USCIS that he is no longer in H1 status.

But there is no other reason to switch to TN at this point. Having an H1 in hand is obvious still more simple and straightforward that going getting a TN.