Canadian Citizen Told I Need Visa to Travel to USA?

Paul_13

Hi, I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen. When I was 18 I travelled with my family to go shopping in Buffalo, my father had been denied entry to the USA a few years back (also no criminal record, not given a reason why) but his lawyer at the time had him fill out a DHS trip and once he received a response his lawyer advised him he can travel freely to the USA. This was not the case, we were stopped/denied entry and he was told the DHS trip had done nothing for his case. All my adult family members were fingerprinted and our photos were taken. Later that month I travelled with my aunt to go shopping in Buffalo. We were stopped at the border, and had to wait again for hours, fingerprinted and our photos were taken. At the end I was told I need a visa to travel to the US, but my aunt is free to travel back. Since then she has with no problems. I have spoken to someone at the US consulate, but I was told there are no visa for Canadians who just want to travel to the US. I have also filled out a DHS trip and received a response but I am hesitant to travel with it as what happened when my father did. Anyone advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

They are wrong, and Canadian citizens do not need a visa to visit the US, and I'm not sure it's even possible to get a visitor visa even if you wanted to. They may be confused with the Visa Waiver Program, where if you've been denied entry to the US, you are not eligible to use the VWP. But Canada is not part of the VWP; Canadian citizens can visit the US without visa under completely separate rules.

If you had a ban and you needed to apply for a waiver, you would submit Form I-192 to CBP, but a visa would still not be involved. (This is different from people who need a visa and have a ban, where they submit I-601 to the consulate when they apply for a visa.) Do you have a ban? What inadmissibility were you denied entry under?