Canadian allowed only 1 month in US?

lodestar

A Canadian friend of mine recently took a night bus from Toronto to New York with intentions of staying for 4-6 months (but not overstaying). He didn't have a return ticket and wasn't prepared with proof of ties to his home country (Canada). The border guard went through his belongings (including journals) before eventually letting him through -- with the caveat that he must return to Canada within one month and have some form stamped on his way back.

Has anyone heard of someone being allowed into the US for only one month? I have been searching the web for hours, and all I've seen is people either being denied/barred at the border, or else being let through. Is it possible that the border guard was messing with my friend? If not, could he go back to Canada, get this form stamped, and then re-enter and stay for the normal 6 months?

Thanks for your help.

This is perfectly legal and not so uncommon as you might think. Even bus lines are subject to reporting requirements when crossing borders. I remember being questioned on a bus trip from England across the channnel on a ferry then through France to Spain and being checked at each border crossing.

People usually don't post about this topic. It does seem rare "as a subject for a post on an immigration forum". This friend is obviously already on the DHS (CBP) "radar" if there was a specific restriction placed on the stay. [What about RCMP or other Canadian authorities?] How well do you know this "friend"? Obviously not as well as you thought.

Even Canadians CAN apply for an actual visa if they want to stay longer than CBP is willing to give them without a visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the reasons the border guard was suspicious were 1.) the lack of return ticket, 2.) the lack of ties to Canada, and 3.) the size of his suitcase. There wouldn't be any prior reasons for suspicion, since he has never spent significant time in the US before or had a problem crossing the border, and has never broken the law in Canada.

He was simply very ill-prepared when it came to crossing the border.

I am just looking for information about these specific restrictions. His passport is stamped "B2 Stay Limited." Is it possible to go to the Canadian consulate to have it extended? Has anyone heard any similar stories?

Last edited by a moderator: