Canada travel

jmyeosf

Registered Users (C)
I am a green card holder, planning on visiting Canada in the summer by air. Do I need an RTD? Can I use a re-entry permit? Replies will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

jmyeosf said:
I am a green card holder, planning on visiting Canada in the summer by air. Do I need an RTD? Can I use a re-entry permit? Replies will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You can use RTD or Reentry Permit it's up to you.To avoid a visa you take your GC with you.

RTD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC receieved Sep 20,2005

ayyubov said:
I have a question. On the way back to USA don't we need to have RTD? Or just having GC is good enough?

If you are going to Canada through USA and coming back directly from Canada to USA you do not need neither a RTD nor a passport. GC is enough.

Cl_Asylee said:
If you are going to Canada through USA and coming back directly from Canada to USA you do not need neither a RTD nor a passport. GC is enough.

CI_Asylee

Have you done that? by air?

jmyeosf said:

JM,

Im also planning to travel to Canada with my family and don't want to pay for 5 RTDs so I called the airline and also a couple of Canadian consulates in US and they told me that is OK to travel with just the GC (No passport or RTD).

Also check http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

I have personally traveled to Canada by air. To get back into the U.S you only show your green card.

does anyone know if h2-b visa is still valid if you leave the employer?

i wanna know if i left my employer ,i'm still on h2-b valid visa?

My experience

sbernal said:
I have personally traveled to Canada by air. To get back into the U.S you only show your green card.
I just came back from Canada, just to let you know that I strongly recommend to travel with passport or RTD, I had "hard" time both ways, asking for a passport, I just had the GC, mainly because I didn't wanted to renew my NP and didn't want to spend the money of the RTD.

Canadian and US IOs asked for the passport and they told me that I should be travelling with it, at the end both ways let me in but is scary, you know that feeling. :(

A question for Flashington

Hi Flashington,
Did you travel to Canada by air or driving a car by yourself?
I'm planning travel to Canada too.
Thanks

Flashington said:
I just came back from Canada, just to let you know that I strongly recommend to travel with passport or RTD, I had "hard" time both ways, asking for a passport, I just had the GC, mainly because I didn't wanted to renew my NP and didn't want to spend the money of the RTD.

Canadian and US IOs asked for the passport and they told me that I should be travelling with it, at the end both ways let me in but is scary, you know that feeling. :(

Flashington said:

I just took a small cruise trip from Maine to Nova Scotia, and the border control on both sides requested GC and RTD or passport. I think because of the latest developments with terrorists in Canada, it had to tighten its border control.

Anybody knows of CANADA visa requiremetns for RTD holders?

I am planning to travel to Vermont and then drive to Quebec.
None of the Canadian consulates I found online will have a Visa Information Telephone Number or any information about visa for USA Refugees/Asylees.

Has any RTD (NOT GC) holders here acquired Canadian Visa?
If so, what is the process, and documents required?

Thank you very much.

Mauricio22 said:
None of the Canadian consulates I found online will have a Visa Information Telephone Number or any information about visa for USA Refugees/Asylees.

Thank you very much.

If you are driving into Canada in personal vehicle, you should be ok with only GC. Usually people have trouble on commercial transportation (airlines, cruises, buses etc)

Mauricio22 said:

Thank you very much.

If you are without a green card you will need a visa.

jmyeosf said:
Has anyone been able to fly into and out of Canada back to the US with just a green card?

I did. But is going to change Jan 1/07, New rules, and even before that date I strongly recommend to travel with passport/RTD. Both sides ask for it.