Canada pr and us green card processing at the same time

JOVIN

Registered Users (C)
Dear Mr.Rajiv,
I would be very grateful if you could advise me as to what I should do in my situation.
My sister who is a US citizen filed for F4 immigration for me and family in 1998. Since the waiting period was about 13 years, in 2003 I applied for Canadian PR since I was told that it would be ready by 2005. But Canadian PR processing started only in 2008 and now after the processing the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi has asked for my passports for visa stamping. Two months ago, we received letters from NVC saying that processing can start for US immigration if I wish to. I have sent the processing fees and NVC has asked me to send all other documents. It might take about 2 years for the visa to be ready, I think.
My final destination is the US. But if for some reason, the US stops F4 processing altogether(due to a major war or terrorist attack or some unforseen event) I do not want to lose my Canadian PR which is ready at the moment.
My question to you, sir, is this:
If I take the Canadian PR now, the canadian visa will be stamped on my passport. When I send this passport to NVC for US PR processing will they consider my Canadian PR status as a negative mark?
If I write a letter to the NVC stating that my final destination for immigration is the US, will they be convinced?
I request you to give your valuable advice since I must send my passports to the Canadian High Commission by April 2009.
Thanking you

For family type immigration, I don't think they will look at wether you have PR of other countries.

Don't write any letter to NVC about where your final destination is.
It is OK to pursue or keep PR of another country when you are pursuing a US green card. But after you become a US PR (which is not activated until you actually enter the US with the immigrant visa), they don't expect you to keep both forever. So don't worry about it now. If the US consulate brings it up in the interview, you can say that you only pursued the Canadian PR because you waited so long for the US GC without knowing when it would ever get processed, but now that your US GC is almost ready you want to use it.

Given the stage you have reached I don't think it will take anywhere as long as 2 years for your US green card to be approved. Expect an interview within the next few months, maybe even next month.

You are over thinking it. Having a Canadian PR visa in your passport will not count against you.

If I take the Canadian PR now, the canadian visa will be stamped on my passport. When I send this passport to NVC for US PR processing will they consider my Canadian PR status as a negative mark?

Thank you

Thank you very much, Jackolantern, bestpal, Triple Citizen and S.K.Ghori for your helpful replies. I deeply appreciate your concern.
JOVIN