Can you get a US driving license while on visitor visa?

Crazy57

Registered Users (C)
I’m a few months away from getting my citizenship and intend to file an I-129 to get the K1 visa for my fiancée after that. We are looking at 8 months or more before we can be together here in US. She has a visitor visa and has visited me already and we think she might come again and stay here in US until the consulate in her home country receives the approved I-129.

Questions:
1. Can she get a US driving license here?
2. Do you see any drawbacks with this scenario?

Thanks,
Crazy57

I’m a few months away from getting my citizenship and intend to file an I-129 to get the K1 visa for my fiancée after that. We are looking at 8 months or more before we can be together here in US. She has a visitor visa and has visited me already and we think she might come again and stay here in US until the consulate in her home country receives the approved I-129.

Questions:
1. Can she get a US driving license here?
2. Do you see any drawbacks with this scenario?

Thanks,
Crazy57

No, tourists will not be issued U.S. Driver Licenses.

There is an existing alternative that has been around for a very long time.

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

BigJoe5, thanks, but it says “bring your valid US driver’s license, etc.” so it seems to only work for Americans travelling abroad.

Now foreigners come here and rent a car and drive with their existing permit. How long can you do that?

BigJoe5, thanks, but it says “bring your valid US driver’s license, etc.” so it seems to only work for Americans travelling abroad.

Now foreigners come here and rent a car and drive with their existing permit. How long can you do that?

I think as long as their foreign license is valid. If the foreign license is not in English, a translation (also called as International Driving Permit) is also required.

There is most likely a foreign equivalent in each of the 150 or so countries that participate (check faqs).

However, a person in the situation described would likely be refused entry as a tourist.

Well, she would enter as a tourist and get the permit few days later and she only needs to do it once as the second time she would have her K1.
Meanwhile I checked and our DMV would issue temporary permits. Waiting for details from DMV.

Thanks,
Crazy57