Can we renew TN 2 months before expiration date?

goes

Registered Users (C)
My wife's TN will be expired on Jan 30 next year, we want to renew it now at POE because we need file 485. Can she renew it at POE now? Will that cause any problems? Thanks for your help!

Not sure about the POE, but I renewed my TN once 6 months before it was to expire by mail, also for the same reason you mentioned.

goes said:
My wife's TN will be expired on Jan 30 next year, we want to renew it now at POE because we need file 485. Can she renew it at POE now? Will that cause any problems? Thanks for your help!

i renewed my TN 2 months before expiry for the same reason as you at the Toronto POE.

curiousGeorge and gunt, thank you very much for you help!

gunt, did you get questioned about why you apply your TN so earlier? We live in Detroit area, it's pretty easy to cross the border and apply TN. As a result, this question is hard to answer. I dont think going to file 485 is the right answer... :confused:

I had a friend that decided to do it early in Detroit (lives in Windsor) and did it something like a week before it expired and they were giving him a hard time since he still had a week on it.

I once came back from overseas and I had a about 2 months left on mine and I inquired about getting a new one since I was there. They told me I should wait and get it closer to the date if I was going to do it in person. Best is to just do a mail in since you can do those 6 months in advance...

goes said:

Just want you know my wife got her TN yesterday from Detroit tunnel POE without any questions/problems. About 45 days before her TN expiration day. Thank you very much for you reply and happy holiday~~~

That's good. Actually I think that's exactly where my friend had the problem with his. That's was also where I got my frist TN as well. His situation is probably different though then yours since he lives in Windsor and commutes everyday to Detroit. You probably live a distance away and so the getting a new TN 45 days in advance was probably allowed. If you live in Windsor and commuted they probably would have said something for doing it that early...