Can Unemployment cause a problem?

grlfrmnj

Registered Users (C)
I would like to know that if some one who got Green card a year ago and got laid off. If the person applied for Un employment, is this act will cause a problem in sponsoring someone later on? or in citizenship?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Sure, it will affect you

Of course if you are in unemployment, you won\'t have enough income to support people.
It would be tough to offer sponsorship to someone if you don\'t have enough $$$. Besides that, unemployment insurance is, as is says, an insurance. You get what you paid for. No legal consequences !!!

No Title

I read on this forum that if your card is employment based you should not apply for unemployment benefits or you will have problems with the citizenship later on.

No that\'s not true

You can claim unemployment benifits. I was talking to a immigration lawyer recently. He said that employer pays the Unemployment benifts and it has nothing to do with citizenship. If, you have a letter from employer stating that u r employment is terminated then its ok.
I have a friend who is getting Unemployment benifits on EAD. Can you guys believe that? But his is a family based immigration. His lawyer advised him to claim Unemployment benifits.

No Title

People are simply mixing up welfare and unemployment insurance. Welfare is paid to you by the government (taxpayers\' money), therefore you become a public charge, which negatively influences your citizenship application later on. In contrast, unemployment insurance was already paid for by you when you were working (it is your money).

Termination Letter from Employer?

I\'ve been laid off and should i expect any letter from employer e.g termination letter or something? I have been told that once i apply for unemployment, the unemployment agency would directly contact to my company. So my questions is do i need to ask my company to give me a termination letter so that once i apply for citizenship, they wont raise a question.

Please advise,
Thanks to all :)

Q\'s for JoeF

JoeF since you have been very long on this board, i would like to ask you about the termination letter that i didnt get any termination letter, the only thing i will recive is letter from the health insurance company to change a plan. Do you think i should ask HR to send me any sort of letter, Please advise,

Thanks

No Title

I got my GC in Jul last year as a dependent of my husband. I got layed of in may last year after working for 2 yrs with the same company and have still not succeded in getting a job. Does anyone have any idea if I am eligible to claim Unemployement benefits now or is it too late? Also will it in any way affect my husband as I was his dependent ?

Any lead will be very helpful.

No Title

I do not have any experience for how long you are eligible to apply for your U benefits. However, you are entitled to your Unemployment benefits (you paid for them!!), this has nothing to do with your husband. The only thing you cannot do is to become a public charge (go on welfare).

See the post 1.1.2. above!