Can one be still deported if he commit a crime right after becoming a citizenship?

JoeF said:
CIS has said that if you file an AR-11, former failure to do so won't matter. I remember that there is a memo to that effect. All they want is your current address, not your address from a couple years ago.

Then that is comforting.

That's again theory right?

If CIS wants then the fact one did not file AR-11 for an earlier address change can be still held against you ... I mean if they want something to take action on then they will ...

JoeF said:
Well, with an official memo it is hard for them to take action, since every lawyer can just point to that memo.
But of course, you can never be sure with them...

This memo applies only to people who filed AR-11 in-time
for current address but not for previous address. But does it also
applies to people who did not file ANY AR11 at all and whose
current and latest address did not even require AR-11
because they were already citizens at the time of last address change?

I believe Arnold was among the second case.

JoeF said:
CIS has no jurisdiction over citizens, except in cases where citizenship was obtained by fraud.
Besides, the rule that not filing an AR-11 makes you deportable was, if I remember right, only added fairly recently.

INA265 (8 USC 1305) says it is deportable and INA265
has been there for a long time. There is a memo with INS that
says failure to file AR11 alone is not ground for
deportation.

In fact, that guy picked in North Carolina was not deported
because the judge ruled against.

As for citizens who failed to do AR-11 when they were
non-citizens, the CIS can argue that in hyper technical
terms, anyone who failed to report AR-11 lose legal status
automatically, and this would make Arnold's natualization
a fraud. He did not disclose his illegal status at the
time of getting citizenship

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
Actually, the penalties are listed in INA 266.
And it has this little clause: "unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful."
That clause saved the guy in North Carolina...

Why did he also use this clause to save him from convcition?
Or this clause ony applies to deportation ?

AmericanWannabe said:
As for citizens who failed to do AR-11 when they were
non-citizens, the CIS can argue that in hyper technical
terms, anyone who failed to report AR-11 lose legal status
automatically, and this would make Arnold's natualization
a fraud. He did not disclose his illegal status at the
time of getting citizenship

You seems to be pretty anti-arnold. I hear that arnold is doing good as Governer of CA and might run for president if constitution is amended. Arnold should be HERO for immigrants. So if CIS can't atleast you should forgive him :rolleyes:

GCLookup said:
You seems to be pretty anti-arnold. I hear that arnold is doing good as Governer of CA and might run for president if constitution is amended. Arnold should be HERO for immigrants. So if CIS can't atleast you should forgive him :rolleyes:

To run for president, one has to be a natual born citizen.
Does "born to US citizens in a foreign country" count?

AmericanWannabe said:
To run for president, one has to be a natual born citizen.
Does "born to US citizens in a foreign country" count?

I don't think so. They have to born on US land. Bad luck for Arnold as well you dude,no chance for running president. Better luck in next life :cool:

GCLookup said:
I don't think so. They have to born on US land. Bad luck for Arnold as well you dude,no chance for running president. Better luck in next life :cool:

Children born to US citizens outside USA also get US citizenships.
How come they are not natural born citizens?

AmericanWannabe said:
Children born to US citizens outside USA also get US citizenships.
How come they are not natural born citizens?

You are right. They are natural born citizens as long as they fit in one of following criterias.

Title 8, Section 1401 of the U.S. Code states the following persons are considered "citizens at birth" and therefore eligible to run for President or Vice-President:

* Anyone born in the United States.
* Any Native American or Native Alaskan born in the United States (provided that U.S. citizenship does not affect the person's status as a tribal citizen).
* Anyone born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents, as long as at least one lived in the United States before the person was born.
* Anyone born outside the United States if one parent is a U.S. citizen who lived in the U.S. for at least a year, and the other is a U.S. national.
* Anyone born in a U.S. possession if at least one parent is a U.S. citizen who lived in the U.S. for at least a year.
* Anyone found in the U.S. before the age of five whose parentage is unknown, as long as proof of foreign birth is not shown by age 21.
* Anyone born outside the United States to an alien parent and a citizen parent who lived in the United States for at least five years (military and diplomatic service or dependency to be included in this requirement).
* Anyone born before May 23, 1934 to an alien father and a citizen mother who lived in the United States for any period.

GCLookup said:
* Anyone born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents, as long as at least one lived in the United States before the person was born.
* Anyone born outside the United States if one parent is a U.S. citizen who lived in the U.S. for at least a year, and the other is a U.S. national.

What is the difference between a US citizen and a US national?
(We had a thread about if PRs can donate to political party and
we found laws that define a US national as a US citizen
or a PR for the donation purpose).

If a national is a citizen, then what are the difference
between above two cases?

AmericanWannabe said:
What is the difference between a US citizen and a US national?
(We had a thread about if PRs can donate to political party and
we found laws that define a US national as a US citizen
or a PR for the donation purpose).

If a national is a citizen, then what are the difference
between above two cases?

Very good question, never thought that deep as I don't remotely fit in either category of US citizen/national. ;)