Can LPRs get deported from the US?

legalInDC

Registered Users (C)
Can a legal permanent resident get deported from the US? If so, under what circumstance (besides the obvious serious crimes, ties with communists/terrorists, ex-nazzis etc..)

I mean can an LPR get deported upon coming back to the US if the IO is not satisfied with the person's reason to be in the US ?

If the POE officer has doubts with regards to whether a GC holder has maintained his/her LPR status, I believe the applicant is given a date to appear in front of an immigration judge.

I mean can an LPR get deported upon coming back to the US if the IO is not satisfied with the person's reason to be in the US ?

I have already asked that question. What I was told in the forum is that , worst case scenario, IO will send you in front a judge that will decide to revoke or not the CG. But in 99% he will let you in unless there is a crime/ fraud involved ....... He cant actually revoke your GC.

I have already asked that question. What I was told in the forum is that , worst case scenario, IO will send you in front a judge that will decide to revoke or not the CG. But in 99% he will let you in unless there is a crime/ fraud involved ....... He cant actually revoke your GC.

Are you sure?

I asked similar question in another thread. What will happen if you unsatisfied officer at POE about your ties and reasons after 11months trip? He/she will send you in front of judge and you're 99% likely you will remain in U.S.?

see this topic http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=275384

A lawyer told me that if you spend less than 365 days overseas, only a judge can revoke LPR status not an IO. Now the question is : is he right ot not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the IO can't actually revoke your status, but I think they can send you back in some cases. For example, if you have been outside the US for over a year, the green card is no longer sufficient for reentering the US ... you would need a reentry permit or a returning resident visa. So I figure they could send you back for lacking those extra documents, then you can work on obtaining them and try to return to the US later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good answers, I hope others can confirm them guys:)

If it is true that judge will keep you green card unless you're criminal etc., then you can really stay outside the US for 1 year or up to 2,5 years on reentry permit without being afraid not admitted.

You may loose gc if you're outside for one year and return just for few days (providing you're doing this periodically).

now 2 question:

1) Am I right?

2) How hard is to obtain SB1 visa? (for instance, say, you wish to apply for it after 3-4 years of absence)

2) How hard is to obtain SB1 visa? (for instance, say, you wish to apply for it after 3-4 years of absence)
You have to prove these factors:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html
Permanent resident aliens who are unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or the Reentry Permit, may apply to the nearest U.S. consular office for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa. To qualify for such status aliens must show:--

That they were lawful permanent residents when they departed the United States. -- That when they departed they intended to return to the United States and have maintained this intent: -- That they are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay was protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond their control and for which they were not responsible; and -- That they are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.

Good answers, I hope others can confirm them guys:)

If it is true that judge will keep you green card unless you're criminal etc., then you can really stay outside the US for 1 year or up to 2,5 years on reentry permit without being afraid not admitted.

You may loose gc if you're outside for one year and return just for few days (providing you're doing this periodically).

now 2 question:

1) Am I right?

You've been asking the same question in several threads now. You got really lucky and won a green card through the Diversity Visa Lottery. All you have to do is show up at the embassy and hop on a plane.

Why isn't that enough? Why are you looking to bend the rules, and risk loosing your right to live in the US?

The best option is to be honest and follow the rules. Then you'll have no immigration worries, and can go on and live your life.