Can I work while I-485 is Pending?

wakaman

Registered Users (C)
Recently got married and filed for I-485. Will I have any problem /consequences for working with no EAD while my Adjustment of status is pending? I have a SSN. thanks
Your advice will be much appreciated..

Sorry to jump in on this thread....I had a question about this too. If you have a valid H1B Working Visa and are due to marry soon, can you change your job without any problems before your green card papers are all approved?

Any help here would be great!

Sorry to jump in on this thread....I had a question about this too. If you have a valid H1B Working Visa and are due to marry soon, can you change your job without any problems before your green card papers are all approved?

Any help here would be great!

You can only change jobs with a H1B if your new employer is willing to sponsor a transfer of your H1B. Your current H1B is specific to your current employer. If they aren't then you have to wait for approval of your EAD provided you applied for one. If you didn't you might want to think about applying for one. They take usually about 90 days. Don't change your job until you get a new H1B/EAD/GC.
Also worth noting is that the cap of H1Bs has been reached for 2007 so unless your prospective new employer is an academic institution you won't be able to get a H1B.

You cannot (and should not) work without an EAD. However, unauthorised employment is forgiven/overlooked by USCIS if you are adjusting status as the spouse of a US citizen.

Recently got married and filed for I-485. Will I have any problem /consequences for working with no EAD while my Adjustment of status is pending?

Also worth noting is that the cap of H1Bs has been reached for 2007 so unless your prospective new employer is an academic institution you won't be able to get a H1B.

No. If he was subject to the cap for his original H-1, any transfers are not counted under the cap.