1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I work while I-485 is Pending?

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by wakaman, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. wakaman

    wakaman Registered Users (C)

    Recently got married and filed for I-485. Will I have any problem /consequences for working with no EAD while my Adjustment of status is pending? I have a SSN. thanks
    Your advice will be much appreciated..
  2. LucyMO

    LucyMO Registered Users (C)

    do you have another EAD at this time? if not, wait till you get your card.
  3. tunnvar

    tunnvar Registered Users (C)

    Sorry to jump in on this thread....I had a question about this too. If you have a valid H1B Working Visa and are due to marry soon, can you change your job without any problems before your green card papers are all approved?

    Any help here would be great!
  4. IrishDMBF

    IrishDMBF Registered Users (C)

    You can only change jobs with a H1B if your new employer is willing to sponsor a transfer of your H1B. Your current H1B is specific to your current employer. If they aren't then you have to wait for approval of your EAD provided you applied for one. If you didn't you might want to think about applying for one. They take usually about 90 days. Don't change your job until you get a new H1B/EAD/GC.
    Also worth noting is that the cap of H1Bs has been reached for 2007 so unless your prospective new employer is an academic institution you won't be able to get a H1B.
  5. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    You cannot (and should not) work without an EAD. However, unauthorised employment is forgiven/overlooked by USCIS if you are adjusting status as the spouse of a US citizen.

  6. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    No. If he was subject to the cap for his original H-1, any transfers are not counted under the cap.

Share This Page