Can I take my Canadian leased car to US?

thecertguru

Registered Users (C)
I had leased a car in Toronto before I got a job offer in US. What are my options now? Can I take it with me to US and continue making payments in Canada? Or do I have to leave the car behind since I cannot come out of the lease term. I've already tried to have the lease taken over by someone but haven't got any success.

If I can take to US, will I be able to insure it? Thanks in advance.

Yes you can bring it here and get it registered here and everything, you can make payments thru your Canadian account for payments. BTW this is a immigration related forum.

Thanks for the reply. My bad, I did not mention that I am being relocated to US by my employer and I'll be there on TN status. With that this is a TN related question. No disrespect to "namecheckvictim" and I would like to believe him/her, but something tells me it not going to be as straightforward as he/she puts it. Has anyone out there done this before for a leased vehicle? that is, registering a vehicle in US that is under Canadian leasing company title. What was the procedure. Thanks.

So, if your car breaks down, does the mere fact that you are entering on TN, make a car repair question a TN question?

ask at canuckabroad or some such forum.

Why should a car break down become a TN question? I mean, I don't know the exact conditions for car-leasing but dosn't a break down only matter after the contract is expired?

It must meet registration (in particular pollution) requirements which vary by state.

Check your contract with your leasing company.

With all due respect to the good intentions of everyone in this forum and help someone with a new TN, The Canadian Lease shouldn't affect your registration of your vehicle in US. The Canadian Leaser doesn't worry about where you register your vehicle, as long as you pay the monthly payments (This is from what I had inquire thru my Leaser in the past)

OK Hold on. Despite the attempts from some of is to keep this as an TN forum, I can't let such misinformation go uncorrected.

First off, to register your car in most if not all US states, you need to first import it to US, which means following all the steps of importation, which begins with getting a letter from the Cdn carmaker stating that the car meets US NHTSA standards.

Most if not ALL of the Cdn car companies will NOT issue that letter for a leased car, unless and until arrangements have been made to ensure that the payments will continue to be made. Some simply will not do it, period. In such cases the lease needs to be broken.

Additionally a few states have ben known to balk at issuing the registration due to (a) not having a title, and then (b) not being able to prove (since you are leasing) thta you own the car.

so, guru, you are correct that it is not straightforward, and yes, you should ask this elsewhere, like canuckabroad

Last edited by a moderator: