can i renew my passport where i got the asylum from after getting my greencard

iwantmygcasap

hi all,
thanks for all the info u guys have provided. i have a question i got my green card in april 2006. i got my asylum from pakistan. i wanted to renew my pakistani passport... the reason is that my family now lives in united arab emirates and the united arab emirates government don't allow people with travel document to enter their country even if they have green card. they only allow people with passports not travel documents...
the only way out is to renew my pakistani passport and travel with my green card. plz let me know guys if thats going to effect when i apply for my citizenship in 3 years and 9 months. i'm not planning to travel to pakistan for sure. i just want to travel to united arab emirates. plz help :) thanks alot guys!!!!

My lawyer said one can renew their NP after gaining GC. That is just one lawyer's opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

I renewed mine before gaining GC, do you guys think they will give me a hard time for CG becaus of that? Thanks for your responds....

dadash said:
I renewed mine before gaining GC, do you guys think they will give me a hard time for CG becaus of that? Thanks for your responds....

I do NOT claim to know how the system works in general. All I can relate are my experiences.

All my relatives and I were asked this question during the citizenship exams.

FormerAsylee: You didn't finish your statement. What Question were you asked at the interview? Thanks!

Pinkie said:
FormerAsylee: You didn't finish your statement. What Question were you asked at the interview? Thanks!

I thought it was obvious. We were asked about passport renewal and any possible visits to the country that persecuted us.

formerasylee said:
I thought it was obvious. We were asked about passport renewal and any possible visits to the country that persecuted us.

Former: Did you renew passport after GC?

My bad, thought you had a specific question in mind. I take it that it is recommended to get a travel document and use with your GC for travel. And of course do not travel the country of persecution.

Pinkie said:
My bad, thought you had a specific question in mind. I take it that it is recommended to get a travel document and use with your GC for travel. And of course do not travel the country of persecution.

I do not presume to "recommend" anything. I am not an attorney. I am just telling you my personal journey in the immigration process. Use common sense to make your decision and you will be fine.

opsss

opss, too bad for me then. I just renew my NP last week and waiting for it to be send to me. I need the passport to travel to europe this summer. (not planning to go back to COP since hearing so many rumor about it). So if the IO ask me later in the future. I am just gonna tell him that I need it to go to europe coz' it takes a while for travel document. (errr, I'm not sure whether this is a good excuses but .. at least that is what I'm planning to say, if questions ask upon the renewing NP)

formerasylee said:
You did not go to your COP, which means of course you did not list your COP as one of the countries you have been to on your N400, but still the IO asked you about it, you say, right? Can you give us a detailed rundown on your interview (whatever you can remember from that day)? Thanks.

You will be fine.

Miss.PinK said:
opss, too bad for me then. I just renew my NP last week and waiting for it to be send to me. I need the passport to travel to europe this summer. (not planning to go back to COP since hearing so many rumor about it). So if the IO ask me later in the future. I am just gonna tell him that I need it to go to europe coz' it takes a while for travel document. (errr, I'm not sure whether this is a good excuses but .. at least that is what I'm planning to say, if questions ask upon the renewing NP)

What about me? What should I do if USCIS ask me about orginal documents, should I send them?....

I questioned my lawyer about me renewing my NP she said it is not good idea not to renew it. Last tuesday , I went to the Immigration to ask about the same thing. A lady there told me I can use it

freedoms12

wow .. ur time line is HECKA fast! .. 2004 'n got gc 2006. wheeew .. I wish I experienced the same thing hehhehe so it's faster to get citizenship :)

Traveling: May I use old NP (still valid) or obligatory to use RTD. GC in hand

I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before asylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering back to the US with this?

Is there any link to any document that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP.